Move over Darling (Not likely)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am I the only person in the universe who objects to the current practice that those entering a dual carriageway or motorway think they have the absolute right to wander into Lane one regardless of the fact that they make no effort whatsoever to match their speed with that already on the road.

I certainly refuse to 'move over' when to do so would put me in direct conflict with those bearing down in Lanes two (and three).

I would like to think that I look far enough ahead to signal those trying to escape from laybys and the like to enter but down here in the South West its not unknown to be faced with vehicles trying to drift onto the Exeter - Plymouth A38 at under 50mph when the stream is doing 65plus.

There, got it off my chest. I'm off for a lie down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is not only common to the South West. It is popular throughout the country especially with Sunday afternoon motorists, old fogies (people who wear hats), and those who think they are God's gift to motoring and do everything by the book. My brother is one who thinks the middle lane is for those who do 50+mph and the inside lane for slower moving traffic. He is a typical centre lane hogger and if the warning central speed lights are flashing will sit in the middle lane and not exceed the stated advisory speed limit.

However coming back up the M5 yesterday evening driving at 65mph (not towing) I was passed by a large new motorhome towing a newish cream coloured Mini convertable who must have been doing at least 75mph as he left me as if I was going backwards. So there are not only the slowcoaches out there but also speeding idiots who deserve to get booked.

Which is worse driving too slow or exceeding the speed limits and driving like an idiot ?????????????

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
I now know what adrenalin looks like.....and where it comes from!

I was driving down a very busy motorway in lane 1 and could see a red Micra followed by a large white van joining from my left.

I couldn't move over because of traffic so slowed to let them in in front of me, no problems there then!

Suddenly the Micra stopped half over the line onto lane 1, the white van slewed to the left skidding as it stopped and missed the car by inches. I braked as hard as I could. Fortunately I stopped behind the Micra.Not sure what the people behind me thought

You listen to the radio every day and there are accidents and road closures

Do they teach motorway driving these days?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Second bite of cherry.

Closely allied to my original post are those drivers in Lane one that, either appoaching a onramp or worse, on seeing a vehicle on the ramp, throw themselves out into lane two without even giving a thought to what they are doing.

Its as if they have been programmed to do it.

The problem is of course that there has never been anyone, anywhere who taught them to do it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
del

unfortunately some drivers think you SHOULD move over to let them in. My daughter in law is one driver who believes this, and was recently very annoyed at a ""ignorant driver who would not move over to allow her to get onto the motorway.

I can only assume that her driving instructor was one of the many sub standard "teachers".

When i pointed out the advise in the highway code, she was quite vocal, and did not accept, that if necessary she should stop, if accessing the motorway was not possible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
del

unfortunately some drivers think you SHOULD move over to let them in. My daughter in law is one driver who believes this, and was recently very annoyed at a ""ignorant driver who would not move over to allow her to get onto the motorway.

I can only assume that her driving instructor was one of the many sub standard "teachers".

When i pointed out the advise in the highway code, she was quite vocal, and did not accept, that if necessary she should stop, if accessing the motorway was not possible.
Hi RAY,

My missus and me always argue on this point.

She also thinks I should move over but when it is pointed out to her that it only causes problems when the road gets busy, she shuts up.

Thats why in all the urban areas where there is a Motorway, the traffic grinds to a halt in all four lanes as every other driver moves over too accomodate 'the newcomers. That causes everybody to slow down and the road comes to a standstill.

I would like to see 'double white lines' on the approach to junctions to stop this nonsense.

G

What's wrong with anticipation and making allowances for idiots?

If you refuse to move out or make room for a motorist that fail to reach the optimum speed to join the flow of traffic you are just as bad a driver and could be the joint cause of an accident.

A lot of our continental roads have very short lead ins from the slip roads, it's not our job to police what other drivers do.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
euro

in my experience drivers do make room, and accommodate joining traffic.

However on occasions other than hitting the brakes, it is often impossible to move lane due to traffic volumes.

G

Yes Ray

What concerns me is

" I certainly refuse to 'move over' when to do so would put me in direct conflict with those bearing down in Lanes two (and three)"

So we're to believe that drivers can assess the speed and danger from behind but not anticipate the prat coming from the inside, or that there is in fact a slip road coming up in front of you joining the lane being travelled in.

If you have traffic bearing down on you in the outside lane/s and you are approaching a junction slip road that joins your lane you should be slowing and creating a gap well before yours and others safety is compromised if you think a slow moving vehicle is going to force you in to danger.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Euro,

Some good comments there, I always slow and flash my headlights to allow others drivers join the road I am travelling on and if there is a stream of traffic trying to emerge, then I will always try and move over to the right hand lane, if and when available,

best regards, Martin

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
All you have to do is use the on slip as an acceleration lane and match the speed of the left hand lane while on the slip road, then no one has to slow or move - it is not theat complicated.

G

Yes Zafira! I think that is the whole point, that's what should happen but some muppets don't seem to realise that it is the correct thing to do. I'm sure that's where del started the thread!

As drivers it is our job to be aware of all driving practice, both good and bad. We should adjust our speed and positioning to allow for bad habits of others and should anticipate the unexpected as much as possible and be prepared to give silly drivers room or get out of their way in good time.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
euro, I find it more of an issue when I am towing, as even though people are joining a dual carriageway so overtaking will be relatively easy, people either join at 30mph or must get in front of the caravan at all costs from the slip road.

Of all the places in Europe I have driven in, the UK appears the only place without motorway testing.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Zafiral, surely to many drivers make every last effort to get in front of a caravan when joining a road. And even if there is little traffic and they could easily overtake after joining a dual carriageway or motorway they'll still bully there way on to the road with no thought of the danger.

If in doubt I try and move out of the way in good time.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Zafiral, surely to many drivers make every last effort to get in front of a caravan when joining a road. And even if there is little traffic and they could easily overtake after joining a dual carriageway or motorway they'll still bully there way on to the road with no thought of the danger.

I know it is silly isn't it!!

BTW why have you changed your log in name back???

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site

Yes Zafiral, the excitement of being a granny was sadly brought down to earth very quickly.

Plus, I'm not old and frail yet.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Has anybody towed something big round the M25? There you are holding a steady 50mph in the inner lane, with three lanes on your off-side all doing 70mph, bumper to bumper (I am allowed to exagerate? OK, they are all ding 80mph)

Suddenly you realise that your lane will lead you straight onto the next slip road off. Panic! You have to get yourself into lane two ..... but everybody alread in lane 2 thru 4 regards this manouvre as offensive. There ain't no forgiveness. But don't worry, you will get plenty of practice, cos every exit is thye same.

What is the OFFICIAL solution?

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site

When you at first join the M25 go straight to lane 2 and stay there until it's your turn to exit....just wear head phones so that other drivers think you are oblivious to the frustration of others you are now causing,

best regards, Martin

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Martin,

It crossed my mind that maybe I should stay in Lane One, slip off the motorway, round the roundabout, and slip back on again.

My wife was in the outer lane of the A467 recently, had to bang the brakes on as two cars (chav-mobiles) came off the slip road in close formation, straight across into the outer lane. Over the next few miles, they upset several other drivers.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Yes Zafiral, the excitement of being a granny was sadly brought down to earth very quickly.

Plus, I'm not old and frail yet.
Sadie, I am sure no one on here would ever describe you as old and definitely not frail!!!!

Anyway congrats on becoming a Granny and I hope you don't spoil the little one too much!

G

Our old UK home is five or so miles from the M25. Mine and others dream has been to get to 40mph on the M25 for most trips on it.

So if you managed 50 towing, think yourself lucky. If you read the signs you should be in the correct lane on the newer sections :)

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Euro,

I'm not sure what you are talking about, possibly because I haven't met the problem recently, as my recent vehicles have had more grunt. But way back when, the problem was getting INTO the correct lane, no problem identifying which lane I wanted.

Maybe I'm a wimp, and prefer to have a reasonable space to pull into when changing lanes?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
it is not just the numties joining the carrageway it is also the numties leaving it, and the ones allready on it and the ones who dont know how to use roundabouts road juntions ect,

let face it the standard of driving has in the last 20 years has fallen to a point where it is allmost every man for himself out there on the road. like driving at the correct speed leaving a decent gap for braking and some prat fills it so you drop back leave a gap some else fills ect you end up going backwards, or being in a line of traffic there is allways some dunce in the wrong lane trying push you out of the way because they havn't got a clue how to use a round about.

the steady decline of driving standards means the situation will get worse as time goes on not better and the highway code well that little book is only good for the recycling bin.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site

I sympathise with the problem, the m4 between the Severn Bridge and Cardiff has a number of left hand lanes that become off lanes as does the m5 Avon Bridge at Bristol.

It doesnt matter how well you read the signs, if the next lane out is choca and no one will let you out your stuck. This is epecially a problem when towing as no one wants to let a caravan out.

TRENDING THREADS