Move over Darling (Not likely)

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Thorpedo, I couldn't agree with you more.

When I start to climb over the Avonmouth Bridge I move into lane 2 but the problem I now have is that when I get past the Port Zed (Portishead) roundabout, it's the drivers now joining from the slip road that don't let you back into lane 1 as the M5 starts it's climb towards Clevedon,

best regards, Martin

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I had an interesting one just a couple of hours ago. Dropping down the slip road to join the M4. Nearside lane was empty for a long way behind. Middle lane was chokka with HGVs, in tight formation.

OK, the lane I wanted was empty, so out I go. Wrong! The nearest HGV (artic) was right along side me, and travelling just a smidgen faster. As I pulled out onto Lane One, he pulled IN onto Lane One.

To quote an old chat-up line "Your place or mine?" The answer is "Well if we are going to argue about it, lets not bother!"

I conceded that he was bigger than me. PL plate? Whats that? Poland or Portugal?

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Wording direct from The Highway Code.............

"Driving on the motorway

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway

check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder

stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway

remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings again,

I initiated this thread after numerous instances of cars just drifting into major roads without a care in the world.

I can see by the responses that I am not the only one.

Yesterday I was returning home from having the caravan serviced in Somerset, (Don't ask) and I was on Death Row ie. the A38.

At Teigngrace (just before the turn off for Trago at Newton Abbot) a 4x4 wondered into the carriageway right in front of me.

Fortunately I knew there was nothing in the outside lane because that was my only choice.

I'll bet the driver is still wondering why the caravan driver passed him with the horn continuously blaring.!!!

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
There are some situations where it is impossible to avoid annoying someone. One particularly problematic situation is the M27 travelling eastwards between Rowntree services and the M3 turnoff as lanes 1 & 2 go to the left to become M3 and lanes 3 & 4 continue as M27. Normally if proceeding to the M27 one is able to position into lane 3 sufficiently in advance of the junction but if you have needed to go into Rowntree services and it is busy you have a relatively short distance in which to join lane 1 and then move into lane 2 and then into lane 3 and it is rare to find anyone willingly create a gap for you to get into lane 3

Alun

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all

this problem happens all over the country.there is one thing which drivers seem to forget....at the end of the slip road there is a dotted line,its the same line that is at a roundabout junction,at some crossroad junctions and at some tee junctions.the dotted line means giveway!!!

im sure that most drivers when learning need to know this fact but as soon as the driving test is passed the highway code is forgotten,well it seems that way to me anyway

as my name suggests im a hgv driver and when im in lane 1 on a m-way and it is impossible for me to move into lane 2 and the car is trying to join the m-way and he/she has to slow down to join,when they have joined and start to pass me....i get abuse! either a honking horn as they pass or some sort of hand signal that is not in the highway code that ive read.they just dont understand......the dotted line at the end of the sliproad means giveway to traffic already on the road

as for the comments about slowing down when you are in lane 1 and are approching a junction...why should you? you are already on the road and its the traffic joining which should giveway to you,it is polite and good road manners to accomadate joining traffic.....when it is safe to do so! another point.....how many drivers know that it is ok to use the hard shoulder (if there is one though) if you are not able to join at the slip road.i dont think the micra driver that chris nearly had and accident with knew this.

602......the hgv that you had a near miss with had no excuse.....he is a lefthand drive and if he didnt see you,he needs his eyes testing and banning from the road

just another point.....the driving test only asks questions about motorway driving,there is no test on the motorway only after a driver has passed the test he/she is allowed to use a motorway and most driving schools do the pass plus course which teaches motorway driving and driving at night and in different weather conditions too i think......but a new driver dosent have to do the course and with money being the way it is at the moment i would think that most are not taking it even though it gives them a reduction on insurance when passed.

so i think its about time that this should be changed.....there is already green p plates around to show a new driver,maybe that could be become a law that you have to show them untill a driver has done a motorway and night time driving course....just a thought

hgv dave

May 25, 2009
Visit site
hi all

this problem happens all over the country.there is one thing which drivers seem to forget....at the end of the slip road there is a dotted line,its the same line that is at a roundabout junction,at some crossroad junctions and at some tee junctions.the dotted line means giveway!!!

im sure that most drivers when learning need to know this fact but as soon as the driving test is passed the highway code is forgotten,well it seems that way to me anyway

as my name suggests im a hgv driver and when im in lane 1 on a m-way and it is impossible for me to move into lane 2 and the car is trying to join the m-way and he/she has to slow down to join,when they have joined and start to pass me....i get abuse! either a honking horn as they pass or some sort of hand signal that is not in the highway code that ive read.they just dont understand......the dotted line at the end of the sliproad means giveway to traffic already on the road

as for the comments about slowing down when you are in lane 1 and are approching a junction...why should you? you are already on the road and its the traffic joining which should giveway to you,it is polite and good road manners to accomadate joining traffic.....when it is safe to do so! another point.....how many drivers know that it is ok to use the hard shoulder (if there is one though) if you are not able to join at the slip road.i dont think the micra driver that chris nearly had and accident with knew this.

602......the hgv that you had a near miss with had no excuse.....he is a lefthand drive and if he didnt see you,he needs his eyes testing and banning from the road

just another point.....the driving test only asks questions about motorway driving,there is no test on the motorway only after a driver has passed the test he/she is allowed to use a motorway and most driving schools do the pass plus course which teaches motorway driving and driving at night and in different weather conditions too i think......but a new driver dosent have to do the course and with money being the way it is at the moment i would think that most are not taking it even though it gives them a reduction on insurance when passed.

so i think its about time that this should be changed.....there is already green p plates around to show a new driver,maybe that could be become a law that you have to show them untill a driver has done a motorway and night time driving course....just a thought

hgv dave
Hi HGV Dave,

Egad! A sensible truck driver! Just joking, I know they exist, it just feels like they don't. You probably feel the same about us.

Strange that you should mention driving along the hard shoulder. I passed my test in 1958, (and again in 1959), and first drove on a motorway, the M6 (Preston by-pass)in 1959. But I could not have told you until a couple of weeks ago, what the official ruling was when you were unable to join lane one of motorway because it was full of traffic. Amazingly, I have only met this problem once in 50 years.

So tell me. You are driving along a three lane motorway. The nearside lane leads direct onto a slip off. For a considerable distance before hand, the dotted white lines between lane one and lane two get closer together (indicating a potential hazaard). Question. Is this still a three lane motorway?

1. Can Yorkie now move over into the third lane?

2. Can Yorkie, or anyone, pass me in the now segregated (sort of) inner lane, if I am in the middle lane?

I still want to learn.

G

I was brought up on cycles and then on to powered bikes as soon as I could get a License the same as my brothers.

Our dad always said "they're out to get you, be careful" he meant all motorists!

I assume that every motorist is still out to get me even when I'm in the car.

So I give most as wide a berth or as big a space as possible.

I just assume that most will do the wrong thing and I keep out of harms way.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Well 602.........

I do not agree with Colin or HGV Dave....

1. Yorkie, as you put it, can drive in any lane of a motorway if the gross weight of his truck does not exceed 7500kgs and he is not towing a trailer.

If his truck is over this weight then he cannot drive in the outside lane of a motorway unless in an emergency or directed to do so by a police officer.

Where a nearside lane of a Motorway in effect becomes the on and off lane at a junction the motorway still has three lanes.

There are usually only two lanes at the actual junction but a HGV over 7500kgs is still barred from the outside lane.

Where a Motorway narrows from 3 to 2 lanes at a junction and continues as a 2 lane Motorway then any HGV can use any lane.

2. Yes, if they do so with caution having due regard for the hazard warning line that now separates lane 1 and 2.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well 602.........

I do not agree with Colin or HGV Dave....

1. Yorkie, as you put it, can drive in any lane of a motorway if the gross weight of his truck does not exceed 7500kgs and he is not towing a trailer.

If his truck is over this weight then he cannot drive in the outside lane of a motorway unless in an emergency or directed to do so by a police officer.

Where a nearside lane of a Motorway in effect becomes the on and off lane at a junction the motorway still has three lanes.

There are usually only two lanes at the actual junction but a HGV over 7500kgs is still barred from the outside lane.

Where a Motorway narrows from 3 to 2 lanes at a junction and continues as a 2 lane Motorway then any HGV can use any lane.

2. Yes, if they do so with caution having due regard for the hazard warning line that now separates lane 1 and 2.
Not quite right Gaffer. They have now introduced speed limiters on new sub 7500kgs goods vehicles and so added to your list is the following;

"a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter"

Source Direct Gov uk

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Not quite right Gaffer. They have now introduced speed limiters on new sub 7500kgs goods vehicles and so added to your list is the following;

"a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter"

Source Direct Gov uk
Thanks Del.......That will teach me to retire and loose touch with new regulations!!

TRENDING THREADS