Multi fuel burning stove

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone on here got one of these? Or, does anyone have any comments good or bad, I'm thinking of having one installed.

Many thanks

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Something like this
stove.jpg

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Lisa,

In the home, great! in a van, not so good...eats into your payload something rotten!

Once you get used to the old fashioned task of cleaning it out its not so bad & modern ones burn much cleaner, & you can also get them hooked up into your central heating system as well!

Have you looked here? http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stovesonline_wood_burning_stoves.html dont get put of by the wood burning title as they also do multi fuel & i believe that they're located in your neck of the woods. They're site is a mine of info, even down to the best type of wood to burn!

My next house will be an ecological build, either a log cabin or a wood frame insulated by straw & my source of heating & hot water will be a multifuel burner of the type you're thinking of!

Hope this helps,

George

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks George and Dave

George, I've looked at that website and saved it, thanks for that. I'm amazed that some of the stoves kick out upto 16kw.

I need to decide if I want to use it to heat hot water and or run some radiators off it too.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, put a Raeburn or Aga in the kitchen and cook on it as well.Before Herself became unfit, we had one, and I used to love going into the forest with the tractor at weekends to collect wood. Great sense of satisfaction when most of your heat and cooking is for free, except for a bit of your own effort. Sadly, neither of us can do it now, so we're on gas. We still have an open fire for enjoyment though!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

We have one in our lounge and an open fire in the drawing room. Yes they are good, obviously messy but no more than the open fire we have. They throw out a lot of heat when the 'throttle' is open and in turn use a lot of fuel. We love ours but then we are open fire type people, to others of course they are to much like hard work. Avoid the cheap aluminium ones I seem to recal ours cost over a grand.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, put a Raeburn or Aga in the kitchen and cook on it as well.Before Herself became unfit, we had one, and I used to love going into the forest with the tractor at weekends to collect wood. Great sense of satisfaction when most of your heat and cooking is for free, except for a bit of your own effort. Sadly, neither of us can do it now, so we're on gas. We still have an open fire for enjoyment though!
Aw, that's so romantic emmerson. Sorry to hear you arn't able to go and collect your own fire wood any more.

Lisa xxxx

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike? (is it)

Where do you get the fuel from and just out of interest, could you calculate how much it might cost to run if it were on from say afternoon till bedtime.

Thanks.

Lisa - tough question I know!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
No its Martyn

I live in a small village so there is a plentiful supply of wood about. If I see a tree down and it don't 'belong' to anyone I *** back with a chain saw and chop it up. The farmer that owns the land my place backs onto will often let me have fallen trees on his land so in all it effectively dont cost much. The beauty is because its enclosed you can, within reason, burn anything in it. On the open fire for instance I only burn seasoned hardwood because anything else crackles and spits hot burning lumps out at you, in the multifuel it dosn't matter so much unless you have the front doors open.

We tend to have our multifuel on a wide open throttle though because our lounge is rather large, freinds of ours have one in a smaller room and often have to have the lounge door open to get rid of some of the heat.

The greatest cost is the outlay in buying one in the first place I guess but should be economical to run if you can source the fuel cheap.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
i have also seen presses that compact mushed up paper into 'logs'that you store and burn when dried.Once we start paying to have rubbish collected I think sales will skyrocket.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No its Martyn

I live in a small village so there is a plentiful supply of wood about. If I see a tree down and it don't 'belong' to anyone I *** back with a chain saw and chop it up. The farmer that owns the land my place backs onto will often let me have fallen trees on his land so in all it effectively dont cost much. The beauty is because its enclosed you can, within reason, burn anything in it. On the open fire for instance I only burn seasoned hardwood because anything else crackles and spits hot burning lumps out at you, in the multifuel it dosn't matter so much unless you have the front doors open.

We tend to have our multifuel on a wide open throttle though because our lounge is rather large, freinds of ours have one in a smaller room and often have to have the lounge door open to get rid of some of the heat.

The greatest cost is the outlay in buying one in the first place I guess but should be economical to run if you can source the fuel cheap.
You are so lucky, being able to get 'free' fuel, I'm definately going for the stove, just got to decide which sort, it won't be a flimsy type though. I am going to buy a trailer too in case of tree 'casualties' if you get my drift.

Lisa

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Be VERY wary, we live in a smokeless zone, and the council have a list of "approved" wood/multi fuel stoves which you can fit (obviously expensive ones).

Any non-approved stove can be ordered to be removed (they will get a court order if required) which can be a ****** if you`ve just spent over a grand on one. Check with your local bunch first! They obviously have nowt better to do..................

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Go for it!!!

We have had multifuel stoves in the last two houses of ours, the first had an open fire in the lounge and even when burning well it gave little heat, you had to be sat on it to feel anything, open fires draw a lot of air from the room that they are in which is replaced by cold air from outside so an open fire in the lounge actually makes the rest of the house colder, even when the open fire is not burning the flue is bleeding your house of warm air, our house was an ice box!!!

THEN! we fitted a multifuel stove in place of the open fire and overnight the house was very much warmer and the stove consumed less than half the fuel, as you came down the stairs you could feel the heat billowing out of the lounge door and that was with the vents virtually shut.

Multifuels are at least ten times more efficient than open fires because the closed doors control the draw of air to that which is needed to burn and the heat gets to the room rather than disappearing up the chimney.

If you are planning to burn wood, go for a wide model that will take longer logs, even if this means getting a higher output than you need, when we burn coal we just use half the grate as coal gives much more heat than wood, you can then load the other half of the stove as you go to bed and the fire will work it's way across overnight, another advantage of stoves over fires-they are safer as burning embers cannot fall out overnight.

I personally would not bother with the riddling grate that can be operated from outside, we ended up just opening the door and brushing the ash through, with our current stove the manufacturers recommend just letting the ash build up to the grate when burning wood (but NOT when burning coal).

Make sure the ash pan can easily be removed without having to lift the grate.

A register plate that seals the gap between the chimney flue and the pipe that leaves the stove is essential for correct burning and efficiency.

About ten years ago, before gas rose so much in cost, I calculated that, if you disregarded the labour involved, a multifuel stove burning at 70% efficiency gave slightly cheaper heat than mains gas and much cheaper than tanked gas or if you burn waste wood.

I do actually have a small Dunsley 3kw stove for sale, not much use for burning wood as the firebox is small but when burning coal it gives enough heat to make our 20'x13' lounge uncomfortably warm even when gagged back (air vents shut). It's relatively new, having been used in a holiday cottage for 3 years, we replaced it for a much larger stove that would burn the wood waste I generate from my building work.

Our current stove is a 13kw, made in china, les than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts