My Awning and a mild case of OCD

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from our first trip of the year up the road to Greetham near Rutland Water, despite the wind we put our awning up but something that has been annoying me is that the awning is not an exact fit for the van.

If one side is perfectly horizontal where the side meets the top the otherside is lopsided, we are only talking about a foot and a half here but each and everytime I put the awning up its bothers me that little bit more! Why is nobody else's slightly lopsided?

Naturally I always make sure the most visible side is the one that is lined up perfectly but does anyone have a tip (other than getting a seemstress to adjust the awning)?

Steve

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
it drives me potty as well.... every time i use the awnng i am on a sloping pitch....... aaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhhh ,blllssdfffgg,ggghhews her come the men in white coates.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve
I've yet to see a perfectly erected awning. I have had cheap and expensive and they all have little foibles.
Just look at the shape of the awning rail and it soon becomes clear why the thing doesn't hang properly!
As long as it is taught and well pegged with storm lashings I wouldn't worry.

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve, had a little laugh to myself after reading your article. Ours is a second hand awning ( didn't want a nice posh one for the steam traction engine rallies with oil and soot etc ) The awning once erected is straight at the front end of the c'van but at the back end it extends out over a foot, so it looks as though the front of the awning is longer than the attached back of the awning. We have tried to straighten it but to no avail. the awning fits lovely round the awning rail but looks too big at the front.
smiley-frown.gif

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I dont think my awning is the right size either. It came with van my dad gave us so im not going to change it.

I hate seeing all the perfectly formed awnings in the magazines with no creases and perfectly horizontal. In my expereince it just doesnt happen.

IMG_0232.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts