Nabbed in the outside lane of 3 lane motorway.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
There are circumstances when the police will disregard the tolerances allowed for in regards to speeding. It is entirely at the discretion of the police as to whether they will apply a tolerance or not.

One of the circumstances where the tolerance can be disregarded is when the offender is towing a trailer.

Getting caught and then trying to argue there is tolerance won't cut it if you try that defence.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We will never know. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think if seen in the context of my earlier post in the thread it should be obvious.

Quoted for ease of reference:-

I think I would have left him or her to it and just pulled in behind and let them get on with it rather than create an additional hazard by exceeding the speed limit just to overtake them.

Last edited:

Tux

Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
Ok then.

Let me put it another way.

Which do you think would be the safest option.

1 - hold back, keep below the legal limit and let the speeding caravanner press on and pose a risk to others due to their outfit potentially becoming unstable.

2 - try to overtake them and in doing so exceed the posted speed limit, (and for what purpose anyway).

I think sensible people would go for option 1

I simply remarked that just doing 77mph on the motorway is not “creating a danger”. Any how, I have no intention on getting into a willy wanging competition over this.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Any how, I have no intention on getting into a willy wanging competition over this.

Nor me, I was merely remarking differently. Exceeding the speed limit in itself does not create danger but overtaking a towing vehicle (that is also exceeding it's allowed limit) on a potentially busy motorway does.

The bigger person would just back off as it's the safer option to do so.

The problem on our roads today is that too many see giving way as a somehow a weakness.

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
I just could not imagine going into the third lane unless the inner ones were blocked. Even second lane I try to get back to inner one soon as possible.
Same here, I don't hang around in the outside lane/s. I don't know what Colin (my son's FIL) was thinking of, except he's recently gone back to towing after a couple of years driving a motorhome, maybe he 'forgot'.
As I said he towed for years before he got a MH. (maybe he didn't know all along but never got nabbed. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Who may use lane 3, and the various speed limits that apply to different vehicles and combinations are all in the Highway Code. I think one of the problems with peoples poor driving habits is they probably haven't read it since passing their driving test and are unaware of the current regulations and guidance.

Of course, this isn't limited to caravanners. For example, I guess not many drivers know that pedestrians have priority at junctions. Fortunately, not many pedestrians know either, or I am sure the accident rate with pedestrians at junctions would be higher and traffic at busy urban junctions would grind to a standstill, as every individual pedestrian crossed as soon as they reached the curb.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Who may use lane 3, and the various speed limits that apply to different vehicles and combinations are all in the Highway Code. I think one of the problems with peoples poor driving habits is they probably haven't read it since passing their driving test and are unaware of the current regulations and guidance.

Of course, this isn't limited to caravanners. For example, I guess not many drivers know that pedestrians have priority at junctions. Fortunately, not many pedestrians know either, or I am sure the accident rate with pedestrians at junctions would be higher and traffic at busy urban junctions would grind to a standstill, as every individual pedestrian crossed as soon as they reached the curb.
Try being a pedestrian in London and use the new priority rules. You will very quickly have an accident.
White van man are the ones without knowledge of speed limits on dual,carriageways.

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Try being a pedestrian in London and use the new priority rules. You will very quickly have an accident.
White van man are the ones without knowledge of speed limits on dual,carriageways.
I used to have a black Mercedes Vito with removable seats and windows in the back. Because of the seats and windows, it was legally allowed to do 70 on a dual carriageway, but I got a ticket for just that when I got stopped without the seats in, despite showing the officer the seat fixing tracks and rear seatbelts, and there being no load in the van. Admittedly my fault, I should have know better, but the lack of common sense in the rules and their enforcement is annoying.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I have 60 years driving experience.
My only driving conviction is for speeding in an HGV on the single carriage A40 at Northleach.
I was caught by an experimental speed camera triggered by a height gauge to specifically monitor HGVs
This camera was positioned in open countryside with only sheep in the adjacent fields for company.
The time was 2am!
The national speed limits applied to the road as no slower limit was signposted.
The offence driving an HGV at 50 mph where the limit is 40mph.
The camera has now been removed, presumably after the experiment had ended and subsequently the speed limit for HGVs on such roads has been increased to 50mph!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to have a black Mercedes Vito with removable seats and windows in the back. Because of the seats and windows, it was legally allowed to do 70 on a dual carriageway, but I got a ticket for just that when I got stopped without the seats in, despite showing the officer the seat fixing tracks and rear seatbelts, and there being no load in the van. Admittedly my fault, I should have know better, but the lack of common sense in the rules and their enforcement is annoying.
I had a Minivan with no windows. It was restricted to a lower maximum speed than if it had had windows or been the estate version. I think in those days it was 40 mph on A roads. To install windows would have cost workshop and parts fees, plus a duty would have had to be paid So eventually I changed it for a Humber Hawk.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
10 years ago I was travelling home on the M1 north (not towing), as I approached the Leicester junction it was busy as usual, LOTS of traffic joining the motorway just before the services so I got over into the middle lane, there was so much traffic in the area that I ended up moving into the outside lane to allow all traffic to merge safely, I was doing 70mph. I found myself trapped in the outside lane as all traffic inside me was now doing 70mph with no safe gaps for me to move over. Behind me in the outside lane was a police car, no blue lights or sirens but the officer in the passenger seat was angrily gesticulating to me to get out of the way. So, do I speed up and exceed the limit with a police car behind or sit there? In the end I sped up to an indicated 75mph, had my left hand indicator on and eventually managed to get into the next lane, the passing police office angrily shook his head at me as he drove past (again, no siren, no blue lights).

Sometimes in life you just can't do right for doing wrong.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts