NCC Approved

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My new UK built caravan bears a sticker on the draw bar which proudly proclaims 'NCC Approved' I assume this is supposed to make me feel happy.

Looking at the NCC website I find very little reference to the end customer, so I have asked NCC just what this sticker does for me.

Being the old cynic I am, I am not holding my breath waiting for a reply, but in the meantime I thought I would all you good people if anyone else has made a similar enquiry and if so with what reply, or for your opinion on the value of this sticker.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
For a caravan to be badged "NCC Approved" the manufacturer must be a member of the UK caravan industry trade organisation, the NCC, and the caravan must be built to NCC standards - which are simply a copy of the EN1645 Euro standard and the EU Type-Approval regulations. In reality UK manufacturers, have no choice but comply with EN1645 and Type Approval - just as European manufacturers must but they generally aren't members of the NCC.
In practice, NCC Approved is just another meaningless industry self-regulating hogwash.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
For a caravan to be badged "NCC Approved" the manufacturer must be a member of the UK caravan industry trade organisation, the NCC, and the caravan must be built to NCC standards - which are simply a copy of the EN1645 Euro standard and the EU Type-Approval regulations. In reality UK manufacturers, have no choice but comply with EN1645 and Type Approval - just as European manufacturers must but they generally aren't members of the NCC.
In practice, NCC Approved is just another meaningless industry self-regulating hogwash.

It is also one of the reasons why a caravan has to be re-certified for road use if it has been modified as it no longer complies with NCC standards ther fore even car third party insurance may not cover it

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since you are talking road worthiness what sort of modifications are likely to require recertification ? I fitted higher load index tyres to go with a load upgrade would that require recertification or what about fitting shock absorbers or a 13 pin plug?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I guess it must mean something good.
Afterall they put it on the Star Ship Enterprise NCC 1701
smiley-laughing.gif

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
It is also one of the reasons why a caravan has to be re-certified for road use if it has been modified as it no longer complies with NCC standards ther fore even car third party insurance may not cover it
Sorry, but that's a load of nonsense - there's no requirement for caravans to be NCC Approved - and I'm not aware of any re-certification procedure anyway.
Car third-party insurance covers any trailer attached to the car - eg, caravan, horsebox, luggage trailer, car trailer of even home-built trailer.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Both CC and C&CC are members of the NCC - but as major site operators - not to represent their members' interests.
NCC is just another trade body.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
Surfer said:
Sorry, but that's a load of nonsense - there's no requirement for caravans to be NCC Approved - and I'm not aware of any re-certification procedure anyway.
Car third-party insurance covers any trailer attached to the car - eg, caravan, horsebox, luggage trailer, car trailer of even home-built trailer.
Why don't you ask any insurance company whether they are happy to cover a trailer that is not approved by any trade organisation before condemning my statement. A home built trailer needs to be certified for use on a public road and the same applies to a caravan that has been modified where the structure has been affected such as interior fittings being removed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
RogerL said:
Surfer said:
Why don't you ask any insurance company whether they are happy to cover a trailer that is not approved by any trade organisation before condemning my statement. A home built trailer needs to be certified for use on a public road and the same applies to a caravan that has been modified where the structure has been affected such as interior fittings being removed.

where does it say that a trailer has to be certified. I've looked at Construction and Use Regulations and although they give lots of technical requiremnts they don't call for certifaction. Which I assume you mean akin to SVA. I'd agree that if someone has modified the structure of their van as to make it structurally unsound the would be idiots but what sort of modifIcations are you thinking would need certifying. And who would you get to inspect and issue a certificate. Must admit though I've never come across anything akin to what you are saying. Any references to authoritiive organisations would be useful to everyone on the Forum.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, you could start by reading this pdf: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/209278/guide-to-the-iva-scheme.pdf
You cannot just make a trailer anymore, it has to be tested, a bit like building a kit-car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for posting the VOSA link which is definitive and clear as far as trailer road worthiness is concerned but what mods to a caravan would merit a test isn't that specific. I guess you would talk to VOSA.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Construction & Use Regulations have nothing to do with compulsory vehicle insurance.

Unless there are specific pre-defined restrictions in your car insurance policy then any type of trailer can be towed under 3rd party cover - car policies almost never cover the fully comp part of trailer insurance - I've never been aware of car insurers only permitting certain types of trailer or defining required approvals but I'm sure the exception will prove the rule.
European brands of caravans, famous for their build quality, AREN'T NCC Approved because their manufacturers generally aren't members of the NCC - the very idea that these caravans aren't covered on the car 3rd party policy because they aren't NCC Approved is preposterous.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I looked at Consruction and Use Regulations to see if they gave any advice on the requirements for any form of certification if you modified a trailer/caravan. Any linkage, or not, to insurance wasn't a part of my post. But thanks for the info anyway, its always useful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know how it is now but recently some imported caravans (e.g. my previous Burstner) were not NCC approved. CC Insurance did not quibble when advised of this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts