Near accident on A49 at Leominster.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
philspot1 said:
Just read this thread through and it struck me that no-one has mentioned the possibility that the reason for the excessive speed of the car+caravan was that the driver had stolen the van and was trying to put as much distance as possible between him and the theft site!!!!

A 'reason' is a justification for an action that does not conform to an agreed standrad, Theft is not a reason!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Prof John L said:
philspot1 said:
Just read this thread through and it struck me that no-one has mentioned the possibility that the reason for the excessive speed of the car+caravan was that the driver had stolen the van and was trying to put as much distance as possible between him and the theft site!!!!

A 'reason' is a justification for an action that does not conform to an agreed standrad, Theft is not a reason!

Well put prof. There can be no excuse for towing a caravan or driving a vehicle for that matter, where you drive so fast that the ABS is well and truly active on a bone dry road. which is what I witnessed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
steveinleo said:
Prof John L said:
philspot1 said:

Well put prof. There can be no excuse for towing a caravan or driving a vehicle for that matter, where you drive so fast that the ABS is well and truly active on a bone dry road. which is what I witnessed.

As an observer in another vehicle how do you witness "that the ABS is well and truly active on a bone dry road"? IMHO, it would only have been the driver of the speeding vehicle that would have been aware that the ABS had been diploid via the response of the brake pedal, or is there tale tale signs that I am not aware of?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It may be possible to tell that the brakes are cycling on/off but no way of telling the difference between ABS and "cadence braking" which some older drivers were taught and still use, usually before ABS is necessary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
RogerL said:
It may be possible to tell that the brakes are cycling on/off but no way of telling the difference between ABS and "cadence braking" which some older drivers were taught and still use, usually before ABS is necessary.

The road conditions were very wet and were recovering from a cloudburst of rain. I was travelling out of town north to turn right on the roundabout. I entered the roundabout with my right turn signal on and was about to go south down the A49. However I had to do an emergencey stop to allow a car towing a caravan that had come upto the roundabout far too fast from Shrewsbury direction. The driver had a clear look of panic and denial of the fact that his car had got the ABS kicking in and tyres scrabbling for grip and the caravan wheels locked and skidding under hard braking.

I doubt very much that he would have observed the ABS in action if you can't tell the difference from a wet or dry road!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts