Need some advice

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our elderly neighbour's husband was taken to hospital by ambulance on Saturday and the prognosis is not good as doctors saying "hours or days". We live in a small village about 12 or more miles from the hospital. Although the neighbour's wife apparently has a driving licence she has not driven for several years and is probably not on the car's insurance policy. She herself is not in good health either.

At present we have been taking her to the hospital, dropping her off and then collecting her later so two round trips every day. unfortunately collecting her is normally later afternoon or early evening when the roads are really busy. We do not feel that accepting money for fuel from her is the right thing to do plus insurance implications. We were going away this weekend, but have cancelled in order to help her.

Does anyone know if there is an organisation that can help people in this sort of predicament? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our elderly neighbour's husband was taken to hospital by ambulance on Saturday and the prognosis is not good as doctors saying "hours or days". We live in a small village about 12 or more miles from the hospital. Although the neighbour's wife apparently has a driving licence she has not driven for several years and is probably not on the car's insurance policy. She herself is not in good health either.

At present we have been taking her to the hospital, dropping her off and then collecting her later so two round trips every day. unfortunately collecting her is normally later afternoon or early evening when the roads are really busy. We do not feel that accepting money for fuel from her is the right thing to do plus insurance implications. We were going away this weekend, but have cancelled in order to help her.

Does anyone know if there is an organisation that can help people in this sort of predicament? Thanks.

Firstly accepting money for such trips would not invalidate your insurance as you aren't doing it for profit or gain.

When my father was very ill and I couldn't get to Leicester to transport his long term companion the Royal Voluntary Society (Ex WRVS) were brilliant. After he died they continued to support her doing shopping, daily chats on the phone and transport to hospital etc. The other option is the local LINK if you have one. A rota with the other neighbours perhaps?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Good for you, as OC says, no insurance issues.

When my wife’s cousins husband was attending hospital in Carlisle and Newcastle. A close friend took her every day for months. And that’s from Whitehaven. Wouldn’t except a penny. People are fantastic when called upon. But a shared load is easier to manage.

A friend of mine drives voluntarily for the hospital to take people to appointments, also, I think, to take visitors who would otherwise have difficulty. I think he is compensated via the organisation. You might ask at the hospital PAL’s dept.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks both. Regarding taking money, that is just us with that inbred into us not to take money for helping people.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Where I live there’s a thing called DAVENTRY DACT their phone number is 01327 701665 they give a great service and do exactly what your after they do free lifts to hospital doctors and the like, sometimes they wait and others they come back,obviously won’t help you where you are but maybe if you call them they may know of similar type of organisations where you are

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Don't assume she's not insured - a number of drivers, me included, keep their other halves on the insurance to reduce the cost, even if they never drive.

It's perfectly in order to accept payment up to, but not exceeding, the HMRC rate which was 45p/mile last time I checked.

Some local authorities operate a community transport service, using volunteer drivers in their own cars but these are frequently over-subscribed

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

In my North Wiltshire Town we have a volunteer group, The Link. A number of us use our own cars for exactly the reason you enquire. The group will pay for our fuel but on the whole none of us bother. We may well need it one day!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
TBH we have never been in this sort of situation previously and have no idea if the hospital, council etc offer anything hence the query on here as a starting point to help give the lady in question some sort of advice that may be helpful.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
TBH we have never been in this sort of situation previously and have no idea if the hospital, council etc offer anything hence the query on here as a starting point to help give the lady in question some sort of advice that may be helpful.
It will all be via volunteers as in my experience the NHS and local authority don't have the resources and finances. But you have been given some possible links which Im sure should be able to help. RVS, PALS, LINK etc. Others might be the local church, was the ladies husband in the services...RBL, SSAFA, or AGE UK are others. Hopefully there is some support for her in what is a difficult time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks to every one that offered valuable advice. It seems that her hubby is recovering as he was able to phone her last night. Hopefully it will be good news.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts