New 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Took delivery of an 8 month old (ex demo) premium, auto 7 seater 3 weeks ago. Towed for the first time last weekend from South Wales to Exeter and return. We had 3 previous Santa Fes and this is the best by a country mile. We exchanged the previous 5 year old car and found the level of refinement a real leap forward. Never had an auto before and was a bit worried about the fuel consumption. In horribly windy conditions we averaged 25 mpg with the cruise control set to 62 mph. I was really pleased with this as it was similar to our previous manual car. The auto box also makes driving driving so much more relaxing. Never understood road testers criticisms with regards stability issues as we've towed thousands of miles with all our Santa Fe models and never had a problem. This one is no exception. We had a Witter removable tow bar fitted at a cost of £620. Very neat job coming through the bumper with plug covering the hole when detached. So far then we're delighted with the car and look forward to our extended trip to the continent in the spring.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks, On my 2064 Sanya Fe. Recently on two ferry journeys, one to the Isle of Wight and the other to Dover Dunkirke.I found the SatNav It didnt know wheer ( we ) it was for about 15 minutes, anybody else experienced this , and how to fix it.
Thanks.
Hutch.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Hi folks, On my 2064 Sanya Fe. Recently on two ferry journeys, one to the Isle of Wight and the other to Dover Dunkirke.I found the SatNav It didnt know wheer ( we ) it was for about 15 minutes, anybody else experienced this , and how to fix it.
Thanks.
Hutch.

Loss of satellite signal due to screening by the metalwork in the ship's decks?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Thanks.
Hutch.

............I have found this to be normal as you have effectively moved location since the last fix the satnav had.
When you power up again in a new location the satnav is confused and takes a while to work things out.
My satnav is portable so I often take it abroad for use in hire cars. It has been known to take 20 mins or so to work out it is back in England when switched on :eek:hmy:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks lads, thought it was my car as my snooper portable doesnt have the same problem, and my last Vectra didnt either. Just glad I know where I am going when getting off the ferrys. I have told the snooper that the caravan is 3 meters wide and 8 meters long , but it still wants to take me down some ver narrow roads. Always check google maps before going somewhere new. Looks like a windy weekend ahead.
Hutch.

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So, in February I will have had the Santa Fe for 4 years, and it'll be time to change it for something else... unfortunately, our company has an ongoing CO2 reduction policy, so I need to replace the Santa Fe with another vehicle with less than 140g of CO2... that's going to be a challenge... just in case anyone is interested, I thought I'd give a quick run down of the cars performance to date...

Total Mileage so far - 79,800 miles - it will probably have around 90,000 on the clock when I give it back...
Fuel consumed so far - 10,566 litres at a cost of £12,588 !!
Filled up 220 times
Overall MPG all inclusive across the whole mileage including towing and a mixture of driving conditions:- 33.4 mpg
Overall average MPG excluding towing = 36.14 mpg
Best motorway MPG 385 miles at constant 65 mph = 45.1 mpg
worst MPG - 29.7 mpg - across 250 miles of urban stop / start driving
Average motorway economy = 40.1 mpg
Average towing economy across 12,800 miles = 24.11 mpg
best towing economy 27.6 mpg
worst towing economy 21 mpg

Overall, I have been pretty happy with the vehicle - its had a few electrical gremlins and has had to have the main body control unit replaced twice along with the reversing sensors, and a few minor niggles like wheel bearings needing replacing, clutch master cylinder seal failed causing a leak and clutch failure and vehicle recovery. Its needed 1 x set of 4 tyres at 40,000 miles,

The factory fitted towbar means that it tows a bit nose down, especially when the car is fully loaded - its a 5 seat version so doesn't have self levelling suspension, so sits quite low at the back with the caravan on the back and fully loaded with the 4 of us, bikes on the roof and all of our gear in the boot... I can just about see the towbar in the rear view camera, so its easy to hitch up, and the camera has probably saved my marriage :)

So now all I have to do is decide what to replace it with.... any suggestions more than welcome ! Since having the Santa Fe we have swapped caravans from our twin axle Bailey Loire to a Coachman 575/4 with a MTPLM of 1565 kgs... maybe I could hang on and take a look at the new Skoda Kodiaq which will go on sale later this year....

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Jon P, nice write up, a few points, I aso have the Sante Fe but automatic, and get very similar fuel figures. The fixed tow bar Factory fitted, (Witter) sat about an inch low and an 1, 1/2 inches further back from the bumper. I eventually swopped it for a Tow Trust one. I can see my tow ball very easily.
Good luck finding a replacment car of the right weight, you might end up towing in the high 90's%.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I am considering buying a SF but was wondering about the trade-off between self leveling and more room under the boot floor. It seems that self leveling is a good idea. You seem to have had a fair few mechanical / electrical gremlins though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the premium 5 seater and the torage space under the boot is fantastic. Even with the car fully loaded with awning Two dogs cool box full of stuff, BBQ, etc and a caravan with about 85 kg nose weight the car doesnt really drop down that much. I asked if I could get a 5 seat in the SE spec , Hyundai said no. Mine is the auto. 30k in two years with out fault.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I have the premium 5 seater and the torage space under the boot is fantastic. Even with the car fully loaded with awning Two dogs cool box full of stuff, BBQ, etc and a caravan with about 85 kg nose weight the car doesnt really drop down that much. I asked if I could get a 5 seat in the SE spec , Hyundai said no. Mine is the auto. 30k in two years with out fault.

It was a 5 seat auto that I was thinking of.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just to add a bit more, I had a factory fitted tow bar, ( fitted by the dealer), fixed, which I wanted and it was the Witter, On connecting to the caravan the first time , the ATC would not work, they had not connectted the extra earth, so done that myself. Just recently noticed the fridge was not powered up when hooked up to the car, and caravan battery was not charging. So on checking, the permanent live and fridge / charging live were the wrong way round. And blew the fuses in the car. Took me a time to find the fuses. So changed them round and all sorted out again. Sorry you cant always trust the dealers fitters. Especially as the wires do not correspond to wiring diagrams. Korean/British.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts