New 6-berth possible with single axel and fixed double bed?

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone - thanks for the membership allowed - we are a family of 6 who have very happily had a from new Elddis Avante 556 6-berth single axle purchased from new 2005, and used every year, to capacity with all 6 of us, travelling to France every year. Literally a home from home, where we adapted the dining area bunks, added cot sides to the bottom one and extended and improved the top sides for our growing family. The much loved can is ready to retire, but we all want to continue to caravan, and we are looking for another 6-berth - would want to stay single axle as it is so easy to man handle in to sites, and would love to try to find one with a fixed double bed along with the options of the other 4 bed/bunk combos - I would be very grateful for any suggestions and recommendations - we are looking at Elddis Avante 586 and also the lighter Xplore 586, but would have loved to find a van fit to take a roof aircon unit - any help would be great - any model and make considered so please feel free to send us searching! Thanks in advance

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi Michelle, have alook at this website that wil show 6 berth layouts, not sure if you'll find a 6 berth single axle in newish vans, but I may be wrong. Twin axles tow better, we have one with single motor mover and can get it sited and moved about easy enough.
http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan_layouts.html?berth=6
Thanks a million - I'll get that checked out - cabn I ask do you find towing a twin axle has a effect on your fuel efficiency? thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you had an exact like for like comparison between a SA or TA I would expect the TA to be a little less economic. But in reality if you want to tow a large aluminium box weighing around 1800 kg behind a heavily loaded large car then fuel economy will be what it is. Driving habits will make a far more significant difference to fuel economy than any difference between SA and TA.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Don't think there is much difference between the two - as Clive said more to do with driving style. We've towed with both SA & TA and prefer the TA any time - alot more stable. Sticking to sensible speed and no harsh revving/braking and we seem to get mid- high 20's depending on route.

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your info and replies - probably habit for SA at this stage -we do a month in France in Summer and move around the country averaging 2000 miles with about 5 different camp stops over that time - have loved the performance of the Avante initially on a VW shuttle and now on a Kodiak 4WD - likely the addition of a power steerer on the van might change the worry of trying to hand manage a TA into tight sites which the SA was really easy to work with - back to window shopping now and checking weights etc! thank you again!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
How do you find the Kodiak, it looks like a good tow car, whats the weight and tow limit.
We used to go to France every 12 weeks for 4 weeks and decided two sites in that time was enough. Too much travelling.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you look on the Caravan Club website Classifieds there is a Sprite Super Quattro 2019 at £7995. A Members change of circumstances. Obviously at such low price one would need to be careful, but with due diligence it may be a genuine bargain from someone who really needs it gone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts