New Announcement-Cash machines in Spain and Portugal

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
We are ready to travel at the end of the week and have got eerything covered we thought...

Just phoned my bank to tell them we will be abroad for 3 months and they said to be aware that cash machines are no longer issuing anything but small amounts of cash IF ANY AT ALL!!

This because of the amount of fraudulently used stolen cards.

They said you may have to go into a bank and ask for cash with your card?

Has anyone had any experience of this or withdrawing money in this way?

This is a very new thing apparently and it does not prevent you using the card in shops.

Hoping for help,

Carole

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carole

I have never heard of this. We were last in Spain and Portugal last July and used depit cards in machines then without any problem. However your bank must know what they are talking about and ll banks have certainly been taking increased action to prevent fraud recently. If it is necessary to go into banks instead of using machines it should be no great problem, just a bit less convenient. I will ask my bank for their opinion.

Keith

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Carole

I have never heard of this. We were last in Spain and Portugal last July and used depit cards in machines then without any problem. However your bank must know what they are talking about and ll banks have certainly been taking increased action to prevent fraud recently. If it is necessary to go into banks instead of using machines it should be no great problem, just a bit less convenient. I will ask my bank for their opinion.

Keith
Thanks Keith,I'll be interested to know their slant on things.My bank said this a very new occurence...Carole

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Is this for credit cards, or debit cards? My son had no problem in Spain last week, getting cash from several cash machines - but this was a debit card, not a credit card. I'd be interested to know, too, since we may be heading for Spain in mid-March.

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Is this for credit cards, or debit cards? My son had no problem in Spain last week, getting cash from several cash machines - but this was a debit card, not a credit card. I'd be interested to know, too, since we may be heading for Spain in mid-March.
Glad to hear all was ok for your son.It was the Alliance & Leicester bank and we were discussing debit cards...Carole

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carole

As promised I have checked with my bank and they say they are not aware of any change re cash machines in Spain. However, they do advise that customers notify them (as you have) when traveling abroad so that they are aware, and do not block any unusual payments.

Looks like there is no need to worry. Have a great trip

Keith

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Carole

As promised I have checked with my bank and they say they are not aware of any change re cash machines in Spain. However, they do advise that customers notify them (as you have) when traveling abroad so that they are aware, and do not block any unusual payments.

Keith
Thanks for checking Keith,from what most people have said in reply I feel re-assured. Carole

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi Carole

Keith
We live in Spain and have no trouble using our UK debit/credit cards to get cash from any machine, just watch what they charge though, not only does your UK bank charge for withdrawals many Spainish banks make a charge to use thier machines and they can vary enormously, also UK banks don't like you using credit cards to get cash.

Jul 22, 2006
Visit site
We live in Spain and have no trouble using our UK debit/credit cards to get cash from any machine, just watch what they charge though, not only does your UK bank charge for withdrawals many Spainish banks make a charge to use thier machines and they can vary enormously, also UK banks don't like you using credit cards to get cash.
Best way is to have a nationwide flex account and they do not charge.

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
We are wintering on the Costa del Sol and get money from cash machines on a frequent basis without any problem. Many machines restrict the amount to 300 euros, but some will allow you to withdraw at least 600 euros. Sounds like scare mongering. Some shops will not accept large denomination notes eg 500 euros.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This does NOT sound correct to me.

I have never had any problem getting 300Euro per day anywhere in Europe from Cash Machines(by Debit Card).

Larger amounts may be a problem.

NOTE if you plan to use a CREDIT card abroad, advice your bank by phone BEFORE you go. That way they will avoid blocking your card.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts