New Buccaneer Caravel mistake

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I recently broke the cardinal rule of purchasing, "trusted a video review and manufacturers heritage", let me explain.
I previously owned a 2012 Buccaneer Schooner.
This van was superb in all but one aspect, privacy.
Due to only having the flimsy central door, when retiring for the night it gave no privacy from my aging parents who suffer insomnia and hearing problems so watched tv until the early hours.
This prompted me to elect to purchase a caravan with a solid central door and island bed at the rear.
As I was happy with the Schooner, I trusted Elldis's track record and trusted their video review of the 2014 Caravell. Along with the exceptional deal offered by Glossop Caravans, another big mistake, I purchased the Caravel.
Upon eventual delivery at the dealership I realised my BIG MISTAKES.
The Caravel initially looks a luxury van but upon trying to put my property into it was when it's many down points became apparent.
The island bed overhangs the support / under bed storage by 18" making it flimsy and reducing storage to minimal as there are 3 radiators in the box
The kitchen over cooker storage is reduced to 3/4 shelf width along with no shelf as are several other cupboards shelf less as Elldis charge you £40 if you want shelves.
Another point reducing storage is that the radio is in one locker, a point that they say is for security but everyone knows caravans have radios that are useless in cars in them. This then if you want to listen to the radio and see the display means you have to leave the locker door open, straining the hinges and causing a possibility of someone banging their head on the door.
Another reduction in locker storage is the opposite one contains two plugs and the aerial / satalite inputs rendering the locker all but useless to allow access to these and also to prevent fire hazards from overheating the plugs.
They have put a flimsy cushion on the front door side couch which after a week is already starting to break.
They have removed the USB charging point at the front and the anti theft tubes from the rear legs along with replacing the cup holders with cheap pieces of plastic with cut outs to slide the handles into.
One major issue all use men will be aware of is when our partners or children cannot watch their favourite TV program this can cause issues.
To this point, Elldis have removed the Staus aerial and replaced it with a flimsy car type aerial which cannot be aimed at the transmitter, obviously to offset the cost of fitting a solar panel who's purpose is to trickle charge the battery?, why, the battery charger does this and you will most likely not be using a van such as this without a mains hook up.
As such, TV reception is at the best very poor.
I have written to Elldis who say they are sorry I am DISAPOINTED with the van and to take it to my dealer re the aerial.
My dealer inform me that this is a common problem with the aerial and Avateck stand by their claims and nothing can be done.
In summery don't be stupid like I have and trust your dealer or manufacturers previous reputation and see the product in the flesh so to speak before committing to a purchase.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am sorry for your disappointment and many of the features that you illustrate do seem to be poor design and not based on how caravans are really used. Surprising since vans have been around long enough for designers to know what works and what doesn't. But I am amazed that anyone buys such an expensive product without seeing it in the flesh. Someone totally new to caravans maybe but not anyone with any experience.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Well said Clive, we changed our 2010 van for exactly the same model but of 2013 vintage. We went over the van as if we'd not seen one before, highlighted the changes made which were for the better which for the worse (our opinion) weighed up against each other, discussed with dealer what we didn't like and what could be changed so we did, this done we're very happy with our choice.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Its a classic case of check what you are buying before you buy, vans never stay the same, and some of the things you liked in the old one arent in the new one. Why would you want to see the radio display? People do use their vans not on EHU and i believe the solar panels have been requested by customer feedback to keep the battery charged in storage as the alarm and trackers are draining this rather quickly.
The aerial is an Avtex and are rated highly, it could be just back bad coax cable connections?
Other issues are just weight/cost saving, and wait until they fit the front skykight window next year then all the front lockers go as my friend has found out with their new Bailey.
Things dont stay the same in caravan world im afraid?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A couple of vans near us had their batteries stolen. It's thought that the solar panels in the front window gave the low lifes the knowledge that there was a battery on board. So a roof panel is a good idea if you are needing to keep the battery charged to support the alarm. No-one seemed to hear the alarm but thats not unusual.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
"Another point reducing
storage is that the radio is in one locker, a point that they say is for
security but everyone knows caravans have radios that are useless in
cars in them. This then if you want to listen to the radio and see the
display means you have to leave the locker door open, straining the
hinges and causing a possibility of someone banging their head on the
door"

Re this part ,in our Bailey Indiana we moved the radio/dvd from a cupboard to the center front so we could use the remote control ,stupid idea putting a radio in a cupboard imho.

Sorry about the rest of your dislikes
smiley-cry.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hondacop said "
I have written to Elldis who say they are sorry I am DISAPOINTED with the van and to take it to my dealer re the aerial.
My dealer inform me that this is a common problem with the aerial and Avateck stand by their claims and nothing can be done.

This absolute rubbish. Therer are hundreds of posts on here explaining in clear language your legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act.
Prof John has set out many times the remedies open to peple like you who are being fobbed off by unhelpful dealers.
Maybe the Prof will kindly cut and paste one of his many excellent epistles.

It is interesting to note the Status 560 aerial is the thick end of £100 more expensive than the coat hanger look alike you have. I wonder why
smiley-undecided.gif
In a nutshell your Dealer must remedy every single fault you have logged.
Sorry you have had these problems ,I hope they get resolved.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
Surely most toerags would assume a battery on board anyway ?

Cannot really say as I always remove the battery, and most other collect able stuff, when I arrive home even though its kept on a silver CASSOA site. Strange though that the two vans affected were the only ones showing solar panels. Might add it wasn't on the site I use but a smaller one on a farm.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hondacop said "

This absolute rubbish. Therer are hundreds of posts on here explaining in clear language your legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act.
Prof John has set out many times the remedies open to peple like you who are being fobbed off by unhelpful dealers.

It is interesting to note the Status 560 aerial is the thick end of £100 more expensive than the coat hanger look alike you have. I wonder why
smiley-undecided.gif

Whilst the SOGA is a powerful aid to the consumer it isn't all embracing where likes/dislikes relating to design is concerned. Proving lack of fitness for purpose will be a challenge on some of the issues identified by the OP. Buying unseen seems to to demonstrate the old adage of Caveat Emptor.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hondacop said "

smiley-undecided.gif
Are they faults though? It seems he it just unhappy with layout & size of lockers and some of the internal fittings etc? Ok issues with the aerial signal, but apart from that to change some things will be changing the original caravan spec?

I think the thought behind the use of a cheaper (maybe not some good) aerial is down to that the fault that you see so many vans with a portable satellite dishes outside they dont need the van aerial?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts