New EU rules to create further delays

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They normally use the same phot0 for passport and driving licence.

I think that has been an option in recent years. But I think I had to update my licence photo individually on renewal at 70. Also, if the same photo is used, it could be processed differently.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that has been an option in recent years. But I think I had to update my licence photo individually on renewal at 70. Also, if the same photo is used, it could be processed differently.

John

The photo for DVLA will need to be updated at times depending on how recent is your passport. At 70 my passport was 3.5 years old so the DVLA new driving licence used that photo, as did the one issued when I was 73. But before my next DVLA licence I will be having my passport renewed.

But the passport photo contains the anti fraud markings and more data, that is why when you look at the passport some may think it is not a very clear photo. The prime purpose is the E-scanning and don't forget whilst that is going on your face is also being scanned. Bristol airport had such systems in place certainly in 2016, and your "scanned visage" tracked you as you moved around the terminal and was there to greet you at the Boarding Gate.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The photo for DVLA will need to be updated at times depending on how recent is your passport. At 70 my passport was 3.5 years old so the DVLA new driving licence used that photo, as did the one issued when I was 73. But before my next DVLA licence I will be having my passport renewed.

But the passport photo contains the anti fraud markings and more data, that is why when you look at the passport some may think it is not a very clear photo. The prime purpose is the E-scanning and don't forget whilst that is going on your face is also being scanned. Bristol airport had such systems in place certainly in 2016, and your "scanned visage" tracked you as you moved around the terminal and was there to greet you at the Boarding Gate.

Try looking at the 'strange' copy of your photo in your passport with a strong magnifying glass and you might get a surprise!

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Meh!

Travel on an Irish passport and hand over your British Driving Licence too - hilarity!
Border Farce are not the sharpest tools in the drawer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All the anger and aggression.... It's what we voted for. Well, some did........
It will be interesting to see if HMG do introduce the last much delayed tranche of inward goods checks for imports. I think they are due now in July 2022 and mirroring the EU no meat, dairy or plant products without extensive certification. Terrible for caravanners as the only things to bring back are wine or beer. No Gaura, Oleander, cassoulet, cheese or saucisson sec. Shock horror 😱
PS edit. Just been announced that we have delayed the introduction for the fourth time.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The details about the schengen visa in Turkey are very complicated
I suspect that few of us in this forum are able to read and understand what the link provided is all about, but I suspect it only applies to Turkish citizens wishing to obtain a Schengen visa and, there again, it's unlikely that there will be very many in this forum.
I also suspect that although the link refers to the Schengen visa, because it refers in particular to Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands it's not about Schengen at all but about specific country visas, quite independent of Schengen.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lutz, it is an advertiment for a Turkish company to process the visas.
Google translates it automatically for me.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They seem to be making going too difficult for us to bother.
What’s the difficulty that’s causing the problem? Admittedly you can’t travel fir the extensive period that you could before we left the EU. But the time limit is more than enough for most people. There are additional costs and paperwork if you take your dog but not eye watering. Foodstuffs and plants entering the EU are now restricted, but it’s not a game changer. Just buy your food after arrival. Similar restrictions were to be introduced here for goods entering UK but yet again they have been delayed despite the check points costing businesses a great deal of money. This time the delay in introducing the checks is to keep the cost of importing such good down fir the consumer.

So overall travel to Europe isn’t that difficult ……..unless going by air. ☹️

Reactions: Johnb and ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They seem to be making going too difficult for us to bother.
The problem isn't the EU making it more difficult, It was the UK public that voted to leave the EU that caused the change. The UK is now treated just like any other non EU state and we are now seeing the same sorts of restrictions and hurdles the rest of the world has faced when trying to visit EU member states.

And it's not just related to visiting, there are similarly more complex hurdles for export and import of goods with the EU.

I wonder if the realities of leaving the EU had been explained more accurately, whether the UK public would still have voted to leave?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What’s the difficulty that’s causing the problem? Admittedly you can’t travel fir the extensive period that you could before we left the EU. But the time limit is more than enough for most people. There are additional costs and paperwork if you take your dog but not eye watering. Foodstuffs and plants entering the EU are now restricted, but it’s not a game changer. Just buy your food after arrival. Similar restrictions were to be introduced here for goods entering UK but yet again they have been delayed despite the check points costing businesses a great deal of money. This time the delay in introducing the checks is to keep the cost of importing such good down fir the consumer.

So overall travel to Europe isn’t that difficult ……..unless going by air. ☹
As per the original and first post raised in Feb 2022, reference was to next year when EU may tighten entry to EU. No one knows what may still happen. Lets hope there are no drastic changes however as we normally go off peak, it probably will not impact us much.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
The problem isn't the EU making it more difficult, It was the UK public that voted to leave the EU that caused the change. The UK is now treated just like any other non EU state and we are now seeing the same sorts of restrictions and hurdles the rest of the world has faced when trying to visit EU member states.

And it's not just related to visiting, there are similarly more complex hurdles for export and import of goods with the EU.

I wonder if the realities of leaving the EU had been explained more accurately, whether the UK public would still have voted to leave?
AGREED.
300%

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The latest updates for ETIAS and EES are in the link. One concern was how caravan and motorhome tourists would access the automated machine booths. But these may not be required as once the visitor has the approved ETIAS passport the additional EES check doesn’t seem any different to what happens already at the departure port. IE French border officials check your passport in Dover prior to embarkation onto the ferry. Of course ETIAS has to be approved beforehand and will cost the tourist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts