New here but not new to caravanning

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
Just joined this forum as we had caravans for a few years then went over to motorhomes. We’ve had four in six years and whilst we love the layout of our latest one we’ve decided to return to having a caravan. Husband wanted to change before as he was fed up with towing but we’ve now decided that there’s good and bad with each. The car will give us more flexibility to see places when we are away, we feel that although we could have packed up the motorhome it’s hard to find suitable parking, especially in this country.

Who else has done the same and returned to a caravan after having a motorhome? Any regrets if you have?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just joined this forum as we had caravans for a few years then went over to motorhomes. We’ve had four in six years and whilst we love the layout of our latest one we’ve decided to return to having a caravan. Husband wanted to change before as he was fed up with towing but we’ve now decided that there’s good and bad with each. The car will give us more flexibility to see places when we are away, we feel that although we could have packed up the motorhome it’s hard to find suitable parking, especially in this country.

Who else has done the same and returned to a caravan after having a motorhome? Any regrets if you have?
Numerous people have switched back to caravans after using a motorhome for the same reasons you have given.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Springdaffodil, and welcome to the forum. Motorhoming has never appealed to us.

What do you mean by?-

it’s hard to find suitable parking, especially in this country.

Is this regards to storage?

John

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
Hi Springdaffodil, and welcome to the forum. Motorhoming has never appealed to us.

What do you mean by?-

it’s hard to find suitable parking, especially in this country.

Is this regards to storage?

John
No, I mean parking in towns etc., I use P4N but it’s always a worry with a big motorhome as to whether we will be able to park easily.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Springdaffodil Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy your caravan but like others never had a motorhome some times i fancy hiring one and having ago but with my mobility issues

Reactions: Springdaffodil

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Similar experience. Started with a caravan in the late 90s. Then about 2006 bought a small motorhome. Some years later sold that, built a house and then travelled abroad more. So MH was sitting idle a lot

The wanderlust came back in 2021 and we got a caravan again.

Loved both caravan and motorhome. Wish we could have one of each.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Springdaffodil. Welcome to the forum. We went from Motorhome to caravan. We like to arrive on site and not have to decamp to go out anywhere. Caravan works better for us. Can see the appeal of a MoHo if you can only do short weekends or want to move frequently from one site to another.
Mel

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
Similar experience. Started with a caravan in the late 90s. Then about 2006 bought a small motorhome. Some years later sold that, built a house and then travelled abroad more. So MH was sitting idle a lot

The wanderlust came back in 2021 and we got a caravan again.

Loved both caravan and motorhome. Wish we could have one of each.
That’s exactly what I’ve said-can’t complain though, at least we have one.

Apr 4, 2024
Visit site

Yep we had a similar experience. Went away, spent an hour setting up awning tables chairs camp stove the whole kit n kaboodle. Sat down made a cup of tea. 🤬 No milk….. Pack all the Shirt up to go a couple miles find a shop for a litre of milk . No More Motohome for us. We have a mate with a motorhome and when we travel together they always jump in with us to go sight seeing .

Reactions: Springdaffodil
Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
Yep we had a similar experience. Went away, spent an hour setting up awning tables chairs camp stove the whole kit n kaboodle. Sat down made a cup of tea. 🤬 No milk….. Pack all the Shirt up to go a couple miles find a shop for a litre of milk . No More Motohome for us. We have a mate with a motorhome and when we travel together they always jump in with us to go sight seeing .
Our friends who we go away frequently in our motorhomes are looking forward to doing that too. We’ve all agreed though that if using the bus is an easy option we’ll still do that. We feel that we’ve missed out seeing a lot of places due to lack of transport.

Reactions: KeithnKris
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I really wanted a motorhome when I started last year, I would have settled for a van with a mattress in it but Mrs B insisted that it had to have a shower so the anti was upped considerably. I couldn't find anything I would even consider within my budget so reluctantly looked at caravans as I already had a capable tow car. If I'm honest, a caravan probably suits my needs better but I still hanker after a motorhome (even with all the downsides).

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Our friends who we go away frequently in our motorhomes are looking forward to doing that too. We’ve all agreed though that if using the bus is an easy option we’ll still do that. We feel that we’ve missed out seeing a lot of places due to lack of transport.
Ebikes are good option for local trips. Electric scooter are another option and lot easier to store. Unfortunately for UK readers they aren't a legal option at present.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts