New Honda CRV

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone got one of the new Honda CRVs that came out in Jan 07. If so, whats it like to tow with? I like the idea of parttime 4x4 as opposed to the big beasties to get us off snowy or muddy pitches but also like the idea of a sensible towcar with lower emmissions than many family/estate cars

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CRV is perhaps a bit new for anyone to have towed with it yet. I've sat in one & it's on my 'wish list'for when I change the my current car in about 2 years time.

Jun 27, 2006
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a compact 4x4 to tow my Bailey Pageant Burgundy (MPTLM 1400kgs). I have test driven the BMW X3 2.0d, Freelander 2 diesel, and the new 2007 Honda CRV 2.2 diesel.

The BMW is far too expensive for what you get. The new Freelander 2 is nice, but expensive, and I don't really need the off-road qualities. I really like the new CRV, and have driven it solo. It's very well equiped, and the ES is not too expensive. But I would like to know the likely fuel consumption when driving solo for everyday use and when towing?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Emlyn,

Based on my experience of the 'old' CR-V diesel, 40mpg should be easily achievable solo in normal mixed use. Towing in normal conditions yields about 28-30mpg (Eriba Troll at perhaps 1150kg).

The new CR-V claims about 1mpg better on the combined cycle, due presumably to slightly lower drag as is appears to be mechanically similar to the old one.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone actually taken delivery of and towed with a new CRV yet. From replies to my original post, others may also be interested in a reply. Thanks

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have just ordered new 2.2 CRV. I considered Sorento, but too big for my needs I think - and I am wary of Mr Brown's intentions. I already tow with company 2.2 Accord Estate and it is excellent in every respect except the noseweight limitation. I try to keep as near to the 75 kg, but with the long overhang, the car soon becomes too light on the front end. The CRV will I am sure, overcome this with it's 100kg noseweight and part time 4 wheel drive.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I looked at the CRV - and it's the oddest looking car I've seen in a long time. It may be wonderfully reliable, but I don't think I could ever like the look of it. The same goes for the last model, which looked too much like a converted van - with a sea of plastic for a dash.

So sorry Honda - its LR2 for me.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
I just had to change my tow car (Mondeo 2.0 tdi) for one that could comfortably handle my new van 1500kg laden weight. Looked at and test drove the Honda CVR, Ford Smax, and Freelander 2 given to us for the day. Although we said we wld never have a 4X4 we have ended up with the Freelander. Which was far and away the hands down winner. Having driven and towed with the automatic and the 6 speed 2.2ltr diesel at the NEC in February I have now towed my own caravan and I am very pleased. I would like to have stayed with a Ford, however found the S max seats were painful to my bum and found it quite painful to articulate my 68 year old elbow to operate the gismo handbrake. How I could have held the outfit in traffic on a hill start it beyond me. Also the nose weight is only 75kilos. The Crv was interesting but not quite heavy enough. Once we had driven the Freelander there was only one vehicle for us and although expensive we are convinced we have made the right choice without going overboard for one of the giants.

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
I have the new CRV 2.2 diesel, it tows my Coachman 5 berth caravan (1400Kg) no problem what so ever, I used to have a 1.8l Toyota Avensis which really struggled touring around Scotland, but with the new CRV you would hardly know its there. The new CRV has 2000Kg towing capacity with 100Kg noseweight. I drive a Freelander diesel every day at work and also tow with it, For a family car that was capable of towing the caravan, I couldn't see past the new CRV as I dont require the full time 4X4. The CRV also has the best Fuel economy of all the soft-roaders. It actually uses less fuel and produces less emissions than a Mini Cooper.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Alexander,

"It actually uses less fuel and produces less emissions than a Mini Cooper."

Don't think so:

Honda CRV 2007 2.2CTDI combined 43mpg CO2 173

Mini Cooper D 2007 combined 64.2mpg CO2 118

Unless you were thinking of comparing a diesel with the petrol version:

Mini Cooper 2007 combined 48.7mpg CO2 139

Still less efficient.

Robert

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Having driven similar cars I think the figures you have for the mini are the extra urban figures, a 1 litre micra petrol would struggle to average 48 mpg, I would expect no more than 40 mpg for a pocket rocket like the mini

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Straight of the Mini web-site, and checked against Brenda's Mini handbook.

The extra urban figures are 76.3mpg for the Cooper D and 61.4mpg for the petrol Cooper

Robert

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
With the mini's low centre of gravity, sports suspension, low profile tyres and tiny rear overhang it's probably a fantastic towcar for it's weight!!!!

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
Robert / Folks

I was referring to the real Mini Cooper S, that my wife drives, not the new pretender.

The old Mini Cooper S - 32.8mpg - CO2 207.

The CR-V 2.2CTDI - 43mpg CO2 173.

Not many people can believe that our new car is better in Fuel and emmissions than our Mini.

Sorry to start such debate........

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
I have the new CRV 2.2 diesel, it tows my Coachman 5 berth caravan (1400Kg) no problem what so ever, I used to have a 1.8l Toyota Avensis which really struggled touring around Scotland, but with the new CRV you would hardly know its there. The new CRV has 2000Kg towing capacity with 100Kg noseweight. I drive a Freelander diesel every day at work and also tow with it, For a family car that was capable of towing the caravan, I couldn't see past the new CRV as I dont require the full time 4X4. The CRV also has the best Fuel economy of all the soft-roaders. It actually uses less fuel and produces less emissions than a Mini Cooper.
Hi Alexander

Thought you might like to know that we have now ordered a CRV 2.2i-CTDi ES for collection on 1st Aug when we get back from France. The test drive was superb...even vertically challenged 'me' could set the seat/steering wheel etc into the perfect position to drive/tow comfortably.

Denise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts