New members, talk to us - PLEASE!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Most days, there's an entry at the bottom of the Forums home page noting our "newest member," but very often we don't here anything from them until they've got a specific question.
So PLEASE, when you join, say "Hello" to us on here - that way, not only do we know for sure you're "real," we also know you want to be friends! No need to write an essay, or to tell us more about yourself than you want to, just touch base.

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi - I am a new member but have already asked my question! - hoping to keep in touch with everyone's adventures - mine is certainly going to be out of my 'comfort zone'!

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
That's a wise move Alastair - welcome!
There will be lots of things you need to think about before you take that plunge, because there are SO many very different motorhomes! It's not just "How many berths do you need?"
You need to think about how you'll use your van - mostly, motorhomes are at their best when touring, rather than staying for long periods in one place. And if you mainly want to use well-equipped campsites, what you need on-board will be much less than if you plan to "wild-camp," or use those "Aires" you'll have read about on the continent.
And of course, you'll need to weigh up (literally!) the size & weight (check your licence!) of your preferred van, against the amount of kit (and people!) you want to carry.
You'll find lots of help on here with all those things (and on the Motorhome Channel - Freesat 402, Sky 192, 8.30 tonight plus repeats). But in the end you've got to make the choice - have fun researching!

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
hi to all, been a camper, caravaner and motorhomer for almost 40 years man and boy, took after my dad who had a new VW Splitty in 1960 !!

Have toured all over the UK and most of Europe too. Since 2003 we have been retired (early) after a very bad motorcycle accident which left the both of us in hospital for 18 weeks ! we have averaged 100 - 150 nights away to some place or other since 2004 after we sold our Mercedes 709D that we converted.
Had several new and second hand motorhomes since them.
Last week we collected our latest a Elddis Autoquest 175 to which we have has had various extra's fitted to allow us to wild camp wherever we wish.
2 x 120 watt solar panels
3 x 110 amp batteries
Fiamma "D" security door handle
Fiamma 4.5 awning
Tow bar with full width bar for extra rear end protection
2000 watts sine wave inverter
Colour reversing twin camera !

Also added extra shelves as most cupboards are huge in height and useless.
Put shelves in bottom of the wardrobe and kitchen cupboard to increased storage space.
Moved the toilet towel to a space where you can actually use it (Elddis fitted by side of the sink and it would not hold a towel on it)
Later this year I will fit a diesel heater as we use the van all year round
Away this easter for 5 days to Pitlochry and then in May returning to Salou for the umpteenth time as we like it there.
If anyone has any questions about any of the above ask away and I will do my best to answer them

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I've just joined the forum, I haven't got a van yet, still looking! I have a budget of £6000, not sure how far my money will go or what to buy! Any advice or recommendations where to look etc would be much appreciated

Thank you
EasyP

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gary, welcome!
Most of what I said to Alastair (above) applies to you too. With. £6k, you're looking at pretty old vans, no matter what type - but there are bargains out there. My previous van only cost £3500, and lasted us for 8 great years, taking us as far as Alicante and Siena!
That was one a local dealer had taken in PX, and wanted rid of. You might touch lucky in the same way, but you're more likely to find something on eBay or similar.
Watch out for scams though. A few tips:
Don't pay ANYTHING up front
Insist on viewing the van at the address on the V5 (accept NO reasons why this can't be done), and get the seller to take you indoors, so you know he/she lives there.
However you pay, make sure you're driving it away immediately (tricky, now road tax isn't transferable, but with a smartphone you can tax it online).
If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!
I know this sounds off putting, but you've only got ONE lot of £6k, so you need to make sure you get a real van for it!
All the best in your search - view it as part of the adventure!

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi' bought a 1980 Sherpa coach built in September last year. Their are motorhomes that are usable around £3000, but I saw some horror stories as well. Just to warn newbies, I saw a Talbot coach built on an auction site as a private sale. I contacted the seller, got detailed photos, carried out a hpi check, and foolishly paid a deposuit to purchase vehicle. When I arrived it was a bungalow in a national garden centre, their in the car park was the vehicle. On close inspection it had been flash sprayed inside, no cupboards could open!!!! It was a prop, not a usable vehicle as I protested I was surrounded by family members of the seller in Irish accents, I was assured my deposit would be returned. For my safety I left with my wife. The photos were staged showing a lovely motorhome outside a lovely bungalow, vehicle details were correct seller provided mobile phone and bank account details! I reported it to the police but it was a civil matter, I would have to go to a solicitor. The selling site were excellent in their response. The vehicle had been sold numerous times in 48 hrs, each giving a deposit! We found a vehicle with a genuine seller, engage in stories with them then you know if they used the vehicle. If it is too good to be true, its not a true vehicle. Cheers robnissy

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
In case anyone is wondering, I've moved "swappydogs" post about toilet flushing over to Tech, as a New Topic.
People may find it useful in the future.

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Nick here.
We've just purchased a 53 registered ex Police Mercedes Sprinter which we intend to turn into a day van/camper for trips to the coast for surfing and what not. Since we have a Great Dane to contend with also we think we've picked the right vehicle and very much looking forward to it and will no doubt become very active on this site... Cheers for now!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome Nick!
All the best with your project, looking forward to hearing more from you.
If you have specific questions as you go along, do post them. If no-one on the forum can answer them directly, the magazine staff can probably point you to relevant back numbers.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Nick wishing you every success & many pleasurably times ahead. This site may be of interest (if not already aware) Self Build Motor Caravanners Club
sbmcc.co.uk/
also http://www.mycampervanconversion.co.uk/links.html

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi all new member to the forum but not to Practical Motorhoming or to motorhoming in general.

Awaiting delivery date for our new IH630RL high top, our 3rd van and also our smallest. Have been running around France and UK for several years now BUT my wife retires in July from teaching and we plan to do a lot more vanning in future.

See you on the road
Dave

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Graham, welcome. Looking forward to hearing about your travels.

Oh, don't think I ever said Welcome to Dave (Mandee) either, although I think I replied to one of your other posts.

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hiya all,

We are new to the world of the Motorhome and have never even been camping!!!!
We are going to hire one initially for a weekend and if still unsure later for a week before taking the plunge.
We intend to take early retirement next year and our motorhome is out newest adventure together.
We are open to all suggestions and will bombard you with questions...but already having visited shows and showrooms have encountered a friendly helpful bunch of people.

Mary and Andrew

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, we are a couple entering our lateish 40's, the kids are finally leaving us to ourselves. We have been dreaming of selling up and touring around France, Spain and Portugal for what seems like forever. Planning to finally go in April/May next year and taking at least 2 years to make our way round. We have never owned a van so will be asking for a lot of advice re buying new/secondhand, campsites and other general info. Complete novices so please be kind

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I'm a british (a Brummie), used to live on the Isle of Man but have been in Switzerland since 1998. Wife and I retired and bought a Chausson Flash 02 on impulse last year. Love it. Done France, Germany, Holland, Ireland, GB, Isle of Man (of course) and plans for Scandinavia, Croatia and Greece.

Notice that there's no chat for Switzerland in the Europe section. I'd be glad to answer questions about Switzerland if anyone needs to know.

All the best

Alan

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Alan, and welcome. Switzerland is one of the few bits of Western Europe not coloured in on my map yet - must get there sometime soon!
If I remember rightly, the Flash 02 is a clever compact coachbuilt, on a Mk7 Transit?
I don't have the "keys" to create a new section, but I'm sure Lizzie will do that as soon as she sees your post!

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi Tony

Yep the Flash 02 is based on a 2010 Transit Mk7 and we're very pleased with it. We bought it 12 months ago with only 8000km on the clock! At less than 6m long, we use it like a car, can park on most outside supermarket car parks and the fixed double bed is great for my wife, who is disabled. Her wheelchair stows away fine under the bed too!

I retired last Monday, so we have big plans.

Regards

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts