New members, talk to us - PLEASE!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Alan and welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum – it is great to have you on board. And there is now a Switzerland section. I am sure there are many motorcaravanners who'd love to benefit from your insights.

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi
My name is Stuart and I live in the Bristol area with my wife. I am now the proud owner of a Hobby 750elc and am looking forward to many pleasurable hours camping all over the UK and Europe. I used to own caravans when the kids were young so have some experience. Also hoping to use your site as a valuable reference tool in the future and make any contribution I can. Happy Camping!

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I am Colin, my wife and i are hiring our first motorhome this weekend, and then again in August, we are late starters and keen to learn.

We have an Escape 686 lined up to buy if the hire goes well .... Somers Wood this weekend .....

France is on the agenda for next summer !

Hobbies include cycling, photography, travel reading .....

See you out on the road

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello , new member here, stormy07 B) .
Just got into "Motorhomeing" about 2 years ago,
Found the advice pages inforamtive so decided to join.
One tip I found a while ago regards fridges, you propably know this anyway but, our fridge didnt really get too cold, foind a link which recommencded turning the fridge upside down for a few hours, worked on mine

Tony

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Job done - We now are officially owners of the Swift Escape 686, a 2013 .............. Looking forward to taking delivery on 08/08/15 and making our first real trip out to Dorset

We had a weekend trial at Somers Wood, Meriden - The site owners were great and people were just so friendly and helpful.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree with you Tony

My only comments to our new motorhome purchasers would be to spend £15-20 on an HPI check before you part with anything, take a photo of the van with the registration, the VIN number from the outside of the vehicle and check that this all ties with the V5 as well as the V5C serial number in the top RH corner of the front of the V5C.

I used the AA for mine (for some reason the motorhome registration didn't pick up on the RAC ?? .... perhaps as is based on a commercial vehicle ?? however my van has the all clear so its all steam ahead). Plus if you follow the 'AA' guidance and it goes pear shaped, you have some comeback with a £30k insurance to back it up .....

Its easy to get excited and emotional when you are buying into a dream, just keep a business head on, do your homework thoroughly to make sure you don't end up caught up in a nightmare instead.

Enjoy

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
stormy07 said:
Hello , new member here, stormy07 B) .
Just got into "Motorhomeing" about 2 years ago,
Found the advice pages inforamtive so decided to join.
One tip I found a while ago regards fridges, you propably know this anyway but, our fridge didnt really get too cold, foind a link which recommencded turning the fridge upside down for a few hours, worked on mine

Tony
A warm welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum, stormy07!

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I am a new member to the forum but have been a Practical Motorhome subscriber for a few years now and I am currently in my second Autocruise motorhome ( the original company ) as I am happy with the quality they produced even if it was from the 2006 era.
Currently my Tardis is a 2006 Autocruise Stardream on a Peugeot chassis with the 2.8 engine. I need that 2.8 as I tow a "toad" behind it, but I still get consumption that is better than my Volvo 4WD.
Recent article this months magazine from David McVittie in the Tech section explains how he carried out modifications to combat condensation. on an identical vehicle. If he cares to contact me I will talk him through some of the other issues he may wish to address in time. If you know him please pass this on to him if he is not a member of this forum / group..

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi we're new members who've just started planning our year out to tour Europe in a motorhome. We've set up a blog at www.8legs4wheels.co.uk and would love to hear from you with any advice, tips etc.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Pauline, and welcome! Sounds exciting, looking forward to hearing more.
Just had a look at your blog, let me get this right:
You decided to spend a year touring Europe with a dog, in a motorhome. Then you chose the dog?
Have you chosen the motorhome yet?
Or indeed the other two legs?
This is going to be fun.

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi there just stopped by to say hello the wife and I are saving hard to buy our first motorhome doing lots of research to find out which will suit us best for our future touring holidays? Hope to visit a few shows to get a feel of what is right for us!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the world of motorhoming Bill. Keep us posted on your search. Main advice at this stage is to form a clear idea of how you're likely to use your van - long tours, half-timing, full-timing, or fortnight-long holidays, weekends and odd overnight stops. Keep that in mind as you start to look at sizes, payload, layouts etc. And if you'll EVER carry any other passengers, make sure you have seatbelts for them - these can't usually be added later.

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
thanks Tony will bear that in mind will probably be short term to start off but longer tours as we are able definately want a fixed bed though !

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why definately a fixed bed? It does not take much time to make a bed. Fixed bed , take up a lot of space IMO , if it rains and you are stuck in van, will you want to be lounging on a bed always? Also do you want to be climbing over each other , to get up (if need be) in the night? Think carefully about the layout, if possible try different vans . Pretend to live in them, if it was raining/cold etc 6 meter length is a good size, as some sites are small pitches, and also ferry prices are based on size
Good luck in your search, BUT don't be too fixed in your layout

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the insight will be testing all sorts of layouts including drop down beds and make up beds I will not be rushing in without research !

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
If you have a U shaped end lounge such as the Swift Escape 686 or similar layout, you can leave the bed made up for convenience if there are only two travelling, but can put the bed away and make up the settee if you need the space .......... with a fixed bed you don't have the ability to do that .............

Make a list of MUST HAVES and NICE TO HAVE and keep an open mind ............ there are lots of great motor homes out there ........ hope you find the right one for you :)

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bill (Again)
You say you are saving up for a MH. I would suggest that maybe when you decide on a model, you hire one first, to really test it. I would also buy second hand to start with, then if you decide you are not so kean on motor homing, then you have not lost so much money. A new one will always lose money on sale, due to vat etc. There are some good bargains about secondhand. We have been mtor homing for 10 years now, and still have the same van. This was our first Mh, and coming to the life quiet late, will see us out! I would not only go to shows, (but they will all be shiny new ones, but also go around various dealers, as some older models may have a layout you like, which is no longer made. It's very exciting looking , but DON'T get carried away. Think about where you will keep it, and how easy to park.

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for your thoughts Chirene and cflatters yes we are looking at second hand models the money you lose on new homes is quite off putting and I think a used model will have more equipment already on board . We are not looking for a big MH just one we feel comfortable with.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a Swift Escape 686, 2013 plate, really chuffed with the purchase !

We pick it up on August 8th used it for a short break first, looking forward to our Dorset holiday !
Never had a m/h or a caravan before and havent been camping for 30 years or so

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Think carefully about the amount of actual livable space. I've seen vans that do not have swiveling cab seats, or theres a wardrobe behind the cab, this means that once on site the whole cab area is useless. ex caravanners make a big thing about a U shaped rear lounge, personally I find that the L shaped front lounge works best, you can sit in the two most comfortable seats in the van (Assuming you have decent Captains seats) and you have that great view out the cab windows as well.
We were full timing in a caravan while building the house here and eventually swopped the 'van for a low profile with a french bed, luxury, no beds to make up, sprung slats over the whole width and no lumpy cushions to put up with, oh and a vast space under the bed for storage.
Being only in my seventies I still enjoy disturbing my significant other if I should need an 0400 trip . :evil:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts