New members, talk to us - PLEASE!

Page 12 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone
Having had our motorhome for 5 years we’ve finally decided to go to France.
Any suggestions, help, advice on ferry’s, routes, sites and parking our big unit would be gratefully received
Thanks
Tracey

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Hi All,

Brand new to the thought of touring and a new forum member. My wife and I are busy looking for our first motorhome and to be honest my head is starting to hurt. We are about to go and get our feet out on the ground and do a bit of hunting around but I would appreciate you the benefit of some of your knowledge.

I know my cars pretty well so I am familiar with the hierarchy of cars and road vans so I know my Rolls Royce from my Dachia and my Peugeot Boxer from my Ford Transit but I am clueless as to the pecking order of the motorhome builder/manufactures so would appreciate your help.

I must have read over 30 reviews of motor homes and I am still none the wiser. I would also like to know how well they age as the prices do vary from make to make with some 2008/2009 plated Motorhomes costing as much as some 2013 vans of approx the same config.

We are off out viewing this weekend but are not going to rush into some thing and i also have healthy little saving pot to dip into. I am off to see some of the following
Auto-Trail AutoTrail Apache 632 & 634U
Bessacar E560
Swift Escape 664
Hobby 555
I am open to any make so any advice on this would be greatfully received.
Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi all

Just signed up for this site and looks good so far.

We are Beth and Beej - complete novices when it comes to campervans and motorhomes BUT we have a dream of travelling around Europe for a year and have decided we will do it in a campervan. The trip is at least two years away but we want to get a van sorted in the next 6 months, start using it around the UK and become familiar with the whole living-on-the-road thing.

We’ll be looking around this site for vans, info, friends and advice - all advice is good advice so feel free to treat us like complete idiots and give us your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Beej

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi, and welcome!
As you've already realised, there are a lot of very different motorhomes out there!
From the list you've given, I'm assuming you've already ruled out the small "campervan" type vehicles, and are happy to drive something a bit bigger, to give you more facilities and living space inside.
Many motorhomers do recognise a sort of "hierarchy" of quality, with German converters up at the top, followed by French, and Italian ones lower down. But not everyone would agree with that ranking - and there are lots of different views about where our home-grown brands fit in! Take a look at some different vans, and form your own conclusions.
Do look carefully at two practical points: first, seatbelts. For any vehicle made after 2007, NO-ONE may travel without an approved seatbelt. So only get a van with only two belts if you're quite sure you're never going to give anyone a lift anywhere - extra belts can't usually be fitted afterwards.
Second, payload. If you've got a C1 licence (ie if you passed your test before 1997), definitely go for something with a max permitted weight of something like 3800kg. If not, you're limited to 3500, which will mean thinking carefully about what you carry.
Don't even look at vans which don't meet your needs in those two respects - you'll only break your hearts falling in love with the wrong van!
Only after you've narrowed down what you NEED, in those two areas, start thinking about what you'd LIKE, in terms of layout and equipment.
Good hunting!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Beth and Beej, welcome.
What a brilliant dream to have! And there's no better way to explore our wonderful continent than in a motorhome. I use that word, rather than "campervan," because not many of us could live for a year in a "camper," which usually means a smallish van converted on the inside, with maybe a high top fitted. You'll need something with some living space, and quite a bit of storage space, so that really means a "coachbuilt," ie a van chassis, or chassis-cab, with a caravan-style living area built on it. Take a look at seom of each type, at shpws or dealerships, and you'll soon see the difference.
See also my reply to "Moore66" earlier this evening, about seatbelts, and payloads. You won't want to skimp on what you carry, for a year touring Europe.
You should also consider a refillable gas system, such as Gaslow or Gas-it. Gas bottles bought in one country can't be exchanged in any other (apart from Campingaz, which is HORRENDOUSLY expensive per litre). A refillable system enables you to top up at garages selling LPG for cars, in any country. But leave room for a "backup" bottle of Campingaz, just in case you find yourself somewhere that LPG is hard to get (we never needed our backup though, in a 5-week tour of central Europe in 2009).
You'll have a clearer idea of what you MUST HAVE, and what you'd "like to have," in your van, once you've looked at quite a few - so happy hunting!

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone,

I am a newcomer to the world of motor homes and can not wait to get out there. I have recently bough a 25 year Elddis Eclipse, oh no I hear you say... well I am finding my fair share of faults but I take it all as a learning curve... I have joined you all as I need some serious guidance. There isn’t many jobs I won’t tackle but my motor home has stopped me right in my tracks.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thephotographyman said:
Good afternoon everyone,

I am a newcomer to the world of motor homes and can not wait to get out there. I have recently bough a 25 year Elddis Eclipse, oh no I hear you say... well I am finding my fair share of faults but I take it all as a learning curve... I have joined you all as I need some serious guidance. There isn’t many jobs I won’t tackle but my motor home has stopped me right in my tracks.

Hi! Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of motorcaravanning. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Hello John and Francois,
Northern Spain is awash with coastal campsites and camping areas from the French border to La Coruna with many of them geared toward all watersports. It's quite easy to find beach/coastal sites close to both ferry ports whilst you build confidence before venturing further afield.

I have a couple of suggestions for you. Invest in the publications by Alan Rodgers, ACSI and Vicarious Books, these will give you a truly comprehensive guide into the areas you're attracted to and beyond.

Consider paying for membership of Brittany Ferries Club Voyage, It may seem expensive initially however your first booking will more than save the cost of membership, we save roughly £300 per crossing plus there are other benefits.

Best wishes on your new adventures!

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi Tracey, welcome!
Many Castel sites can accommodate an 8m+ tag axle, I've seen both larger MH's and RV's on a lot of them. Even the smaller sites such as Le Brevedent (our favourite) will squeeze you in. Sites & paysages are similar, again we've enjoyed many a chat with large van owners. Flower Camping tends to have more restricted access although don't be put off as some we've visited in the Loire & Dordogne have a separate entrance for larger vans.

https://www.camping-castels.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzoDXBRBbEiwAGZRIeDsxVCRnu-xFFLucO92j7oo6yfX1FTnp7I0Dnzdlubljb6eNZ1QbFxoCpNcQAvD_BwE
https://www.sites-et-paysages.co.uk/
https://en.flowercampings.com/
All of the Aires will accommodate your Auto Trail.

Getting there?

As we live in Yorkshire we've never entertained the really short sea routes or the tunnel as we prefer a bit more recovery time even though driving through France and most of Europe is nowhere near as congested as the UK. We tend to stick to the Western Channel ports and head for Caen/Ouistreham, Le Havre or St Malo.

If you decide on an early morning sailing don't be too concerned about arriving the night before and sleeping in one of the check in lanes, it's a regular occurrence at all the ports in the UK and abroad, you won't be alone and just as I've suggested to another newbie, check out the ferry company loyalty schemes, you'll save a fortune on the standard fare.

France is an excellent country to start your European adventures, it's a motorhome friendly country with many dedicated parking areas connected to local transport pick up points and you don't see the height barriers at supermarkets or retail areas like you do over here.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Fiona, welcome.
There used to be a motorhome hire firm in Conway which offered overnight stops. I believe it's changed hands but worth checking.
Also Britstops (britstops.co.uk) had a couple of locations up there last time I looked, but I'm not up to speed with UK stopovers now.

May 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi, we are new to the world of 'big' motorhome a and have recently bought a Fiat Ducato 'McLouis - Glen' don't think there are too many of us Glens out there. We love 'Glenda' though she's perfect for us two and our 3 crazy springer spaniels looking forward to many adventures near and far!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cath, welcome!
We see quite a few McLouis here in France, but they don't seem big in the UK. Despite the Scottish/French sounding name, I believe they're actually Italian!
"Glenda" brings back memories, as during the 90s we had two Glendale coachbuilts which we naturally gave that name to. That was a UK make, which hasn't existed for a long time.
Best wishes for your future adventures!

May 6, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Tony,

We are very excited, some jobs to do like fixing all the living space doors so they work properly and repairing or replacing blinds. We have seen one other McLouis which got us very excited!

May 21, 2018
Visit site
Hello everyone.
New to Practical Motorhome Magazine and fairly new the Motorhoming.
We started about a year ago with 1999 Compass Herald which we used as a"Tester". What we learned about it and about our own needs/wants led us to buying a 2005 Autocruise Starblazer a few months ago and we are loving it.
We tend to stay on CLs with our CAMC membership with varying facilities and we love the odd "Wild Camp" too.

Hope to be in touch soon.

Bye for now.

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi just joined and just bought a used motorhome, Fiat Ducato Ci Riviera 570 and learned a new lesson called
WEIGHT. Apparently, the maximum weight is 3200kg. I was told to full the diesel tank/fresh water tank and go get it weighed. What a surprise it came back 3140kg, just room for the wife and her dog (small dog) no room for clothes/food or anything else.

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
Hello,
We haven't got a motorhome yet, but hope to very soon. I am in major research mode at the moment because it will be our first van, we have hired before so have a teensy idea. We plan to tour mostly, just 2 of us and our dog Milly.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome, both of you,

SMYCKER: The whole weight/payload issue can be a nightmare, made worse by dealers' unwillingness to talk about it - they want to sell vans! If you bought from a dealer, I'd seriously consider rejecting it as "not fit for purpose" with that payload, but you'll probably have a fight on your hands.
Otherwise, a couple of more positive suggestions. Travel with near-empty water tank, or just the minimum you need. Difficult if you're wild camping, or using pub stopovers without water, but at campsites, and continental Aires, you can fill on arrival. And make sure you always empty your waste tank before leaving! Also, check the official plate on the vehicle (under the bonnet, or on a door pillar). 3200 seems unusually light - most coachbuilts are on the 3500 chassis, or occasionally, like mine, 3400. There may be two plates - one from Fiat and one from CI. Finally, does the van have any fitted extras that you don't actually need? Bike racks, rollo-out awnings, satellite dishes all eat into your payload, so if you've got anything like that which you don't see yourself using, get it removed and sell it.

SHARONEAMONNMILLY:
Best advice is, think hard about how you plan to use your van - short or long trips, UK or further afield, moving on daily or basing yourself in one place, cooking in or eating out, etc.
Then look at as many different types as you can, building up a list of "must haves" and "would likes." When you come to serious shopping, DON'T be tempted by a beautiful van that lacks one of your "must haves!" And ask awkward questions about weight and payload, to avoid the problem "Smycker" has. Dealers often won't volunteer this information, as far too many vans have unrealistic payloads, even for two (& a bit).
Good hunting!

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, Tony for your quick response, some good ideas especially the one about the second plate will check them all out and let you know. thanks again.

Jun 10, 2018
dfsmarketplace.co.uk
Finally got around to joining after 7 years with a van.

First van was a Burstner 645 Active, but replaced with a Bessacarr 496 in 2015. mainly used for continental touring in the summer, but we have done one ski adventure to the Massif Central.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts