New members, talk to us - PLEASE!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Agree with Retread, do your research, see as many vans as you can so that you can get an idea what works / does not and what you like, plus buying a used van can save you taking a big hit on forecourt and taxes .....

For the smaller vans and camper vans, the swivelling captain seats are essential.

Not sure this is as much of an issue for larger vans i feel, plus the windscreen and cab glass is only single glazed and a big source of heat loss in cooler weather, therefore you usually tend to have blinds and insulating quilts foir privacy and warmth, so am not sure the scenic view is really an issue but that depends its all personal choice guess ....

Good luck with the van hunting, hope you bag a bargain ! Enjoy

We bought a 2 year old van, had been used for rental but v well cared for !

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello, joining up due to imminent motor home purchase.
Stepping up from Campervan at the insistence of SWMBO.
All to do with not getting any younger :-( , but I know it makes sense.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome, Gordon - and anyway, who wants to get any younger?
With the right attitude, life only gets better as you go along!
Let us know what motorhome you go for, and keep us posted on your adventures!

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Just thought we would sign onto the site. New to motorhoming having just purchased a new Adria Sg590 last month. Just completed our first trip away, as we live in Jersey, to France and nipped down to the Loire Valley for 5 days. Great fun and our German Shepard dog enjoyed it too. Still getting used to all the noises from the cupboards and rattling blinds and how quick you can get through a 100 litre water tank. Going to make a dipstick with markings on it as i don't trust the quantity indicator !!!!!!! Navy showers it is from now on. We had great fun and looking at france again in a few weeks. Used the Aires which were really good and cheap /free ((North and South books purchased !!) we've defo got the bug

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Paul – welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum and to the world of motorcaravanning. It's great to hear your first tour was a success. And if you're ever in the UK, don't forget about our Nightstops scheme which lists cheap (sometimes free) stopovers across the country!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul, welcome.
If by "Navy showers" you mean "Get wet - turn off water while lathering - turn on again to rinse off," that's how we do it, since our water tank is only 75ltrs! As far as I can gather, that's how most of us do it - except of course those who "NEVER use the onboard facilities" because they only ever stay on campsites! (Each to their own).

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
That's exactly what i mean! We have every intention to use the motorhome as often as possible, even using all the onboard facilities, not sure about the oven though!!! Webber baby BBQ for us. Just booked another trip away to France in 10 days time. May travel from St.Malo west along the Brest coastline, subject to weather, hoping better than poor thundery wet weather we have here at the moment.

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello motorhomers
Angiebo and I purchased a Swift Escape 644 in March this year. New to the game so have had several two night stays to check everything out. Now ready to go on a trip around Scotland. One question for now:

Can anyone recommend an APP that provides campsite details whilst on the move?

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi, awaiting arrival of new motorhome and planning a "gap year" for the over 50s! We have had 2 motorhomes in the past and have decided to take the plunge and buy new. I cannot bear to see Jim crawling about under our old Hymer any more. The broken toilet was the last straw - especially in the heat!

The furthest we have been is Midi Pyrenees and now we are planning Portugal for the winter and then who knows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We head off end September and head to friends in mid France, a quick flight home end Nov for a family wedding then off to Portugal. So exciting - we have decided on an Eldiss According with a fixed bed and a week garage for the junk.

We look forward to meeting some nice people on the way.

Caroline

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Brilliant decision Caroline - welcome to the motorhoming lifestyle!
We had several old'uns and knew we'd had great value out of them, so when a legacy gave us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to buy a new one, it was a no-brainer. Enjoy your gap year(s)!

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you are a member of ASCI then there is an App for all their Eurocampings at ACSI Europe app - Eurocampings.eu
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/extra-information/acsi-europe-app/

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello All
My wife and I have just purchased our first motorhome a 2007 Devon Provence. Our motorhome experience is limited to having hired a 6 birth brand new coach built from 'Just Go' to attend the Download (formerly Monsters of Rock) Festival in 2010 and more recently hiring an old reconditioned VW T25 named Wendy from 'The Glampervan Hire Company' this year for the Download Festival. Both experiences very positive and confirmed that we should buy our own. We both enjoy holidaying in France and are keen runners and aspirational tri-athletes so are expecting to use our new addition to the familiy as part of traveling the countyry to take part in events in addition to festivals and gigs. Joined the forum inorder to get advice form seasoned motorhomers.
Regards
Cpljones

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
You made a good decision in hiring first, to make sure motorhoming really is for you.
And if you love France, there's no better way to explore over there than by "camping-car."
Didn't know there was a "Glampervan" company - thought I invented that word myself a year or two ago, to describe full spec van conversions like yours and mine!

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, everyone. I hope you're all well. We're very new to motorcaravaning. In fact, we haven't got one yet as it's currently an empty long wheelbase Fiat Ducato with comfortmatic box that is awaiting conversion into a camper with a longitudinal rear double bed. Once it's done and we've had a few excursions we'll be in a position to contribute some meaningful forum posts! All the best to you all.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The_Griswolds said:
Hi, everyone. I hope you're all well. We're very new to motorcaravaning. In fact, we haven't got one yet as it's currently an empty long wheelbase Fiat Ducato with comfortmatic box that is awaiting conversion into a camper with a longitudinal rear double bed. Once it's done and we've had a few excursions we'll be in a position to contribute some meaningful forum posts! All the best to you all.

Hi and welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum!

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello!
We've been caravanners for years and have finally decided, after much talking and deliberation that we are going to swap 2 wheels for 4..! We have just ordered a new Bessacarr 410 Hi-Style which we will hopefully get in September and we can't wait..! We've loved our holidays in the caravan but more and more would like to "tour" a bit rather than pitch and stay for a week..

We can't wait..!!!! :woohoo: :lol:
I'm sure I'll be an active member as soon as we set off as I've found so many forums to be indispensable..!

Mandy

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mandy, welcome!
You've clearly grasped the big difference between caravanning and motorhoming - that a caravan provides a "base," while a motorhome is at its best when TOURING. The place you sleep ISN'T where you "spend your holiday," you do that in all sorts of places during the day, then sleep somewhere and continue the holiday in the morning.

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone.
I don't currently own a campervan but am actively looking at various types and makes. it's proving to be more difficult to make a decision, the more I find out! I'm hoping that by reading your posts, it will make my choice of van easier but I'm not betting on it :).
Whatever I decide to buy, I'm looking to using as an everyday vehicle, as well as for what will be regular trips away. The trips will be to all manner of places north and south, often visiting aircraft and railway museums as the primary destination and then doing or going, whatever and/or wherever the fancy takes me. So if anyone has any suggestions as to an ideal van for the above adventures, I'd be grateful for any help and advice you may have. I guess it would help if I tell you that the van only need be a 2 berth, as a starting point!

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi There everyone

New here. Picking up my first motorhome tomorrow ( a 2004 Elddis Autoquest 100 ) scared but excited. Have been camping in a tent recently but miss the warm nights of sleeping in my mum and dads caravan years ago. Not confident in towing but i occasionally drive a large van at work so think this should be ok after a bit of practice. Thanks for having me :)

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome Scottie. Make sure you don't rush the handover - you need to know how everything works (& know it DOES work!) before you drive away.
Let us know how it goes.
Enjoy your new lifestyle!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello 'Fluffyone' and 'scottferg2000' – a warm welcome to you both. Thanks for introducing yourselves and I hope you find the Practical Motorhome forum useful.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Fluffy - I only noticed the last post this morning, and overlooked yours.
Welcome aboard! Nowadays, quite a number of converters offer "van conversions" which are fully equipped as "motorhomes" rather than simple "campers." In these, the whole conversion is done within the original van, with the addition of either a high top or elevating roof. This is probably what you'll need to be looking at, if it's to double as a "car."
Other questions you need to ask yourself include:
Will you stick to full-scale campsites and use their facilities, or do you want everything on board for"wild" or off-site camping?
When it's used as a car, how many passengers might you want to carry? They'll all need belted seats, which may mean more seats than beds.
And of course, what's your budget? That will dictate whether you can get a new van, or if not how old.
Enough for now I think! Enjoy the search, and don't let your heart rule your head!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts