New Mercedes ML Top of the Tree!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The BMW X5 , Discovery 3 ,Volvo XC90 and VW Tourag have all met their match.In autoexpress this week all 5 are tested back to back and the new Ml is the best of the lot ,Disco 2nd well done Mercedes at last a proper 4x4.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Done Mercedes - I have the "old" model and am very satisfied with its towing capability. maybe I will trade in for the new model when the inevitable bugs are ironed out.

I am not going to enter into a comparison debate on the qualities, prices of other similar vehicles for I beleive you takes your pick and live with it - IMHO

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The new Mercedes M Series is the first car on the market with an electronic stabiliser integrated in the vehicle braking system which actually applies the brakes alternately on the left and right hand side to correct any swaying motion and pull the car straight again.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
If i had the money id buy one , but i havent but i can still dream at least it stops the disco 3 drivers saying they have the best 4 x 4 by far lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does depend on which magazine you read. It also depends on what you use it for. If you want to actually go offroad then no contest. Thankfully each to their own, it sounds a great car, but you wouldn't get me out of my Disco3, but putting the Merc engine in it???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been reading both Auto Express and Autocar for some while and it is refreshing to see that the BMW did not win. As a rule in either magazine if it has a BMW badge it is an automatic winner no matter what the competition is in the back to back road tests. Perhaps I might now start to believe the road tests again.

Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
Yeah i read the report in Whatcar too , but What car always love the Disco, strange marking system on 1 item they say the Ml cant be faulted and only give it 4 stars , they are very different vechiles ML's not really an offroader like the Disco ,still i wouldnt take any 40k car serious offroading unless i was a lottery winner ,Shame Disco has

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mine goes offroad regularly. The other day a group of us D3 owners and a RR sport on bling bling wheels astounded everyone at Tixover quarry, completing the course no problem. The car is by far the most awesome off road vehicle made, scaling things that even Defenders are stopped by, yet it is so easy to drive. I agree that perhaps the majority won't ever get taken off road, but the traction from road tyres on these cars is unbelievable. It is a shame not to off road it. Mercedes (or anyone else) will not come close in off road peformance

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Quite right paul, we have an off road course opposite a site (rivendale) in ashbourne near me and you never see anyone taking bmw or mercs on the course, but then again would you with the negative press both vehicles have received, i seem to remember one reporter claiming a front wheel drive polo would get off the field quicker than the bmw x5 with it super wide low profile totally useless for the purpose intended tyres. in the recent press bmw and mercedes have lost a lot of ground to tthe more main stream manufacturers and they are no longer the well built stalwqarts they claimed to be.

Every one has a different idea as to a good car and a bad car but the merc and bmw seem to have had nothing but constant negative press from all sides, i will believe the auto express report as and when the vehicle is a few years old and the truth is revealled from the public who have owned these cars, personally i would have a discovery over any other 4x4 but then i'm not concerned with my cars badge being better than some one elses.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I think the magazines unfairly test all the 4x4's against each other.I have driven the new ML and also driven the Disco 3 .They are so different , the Disco is a proper 4x4 so to compare it with the likes of BMW,Volvo so on is not a comparison , they are really soft offroaders where as the Disco isnt , the only competetion it has is the Toyota's which arent in the same league.Driving the Disco you do know its a 4x4 , but the others are like big estate cars and they drive like them much better on the tarmac.The old ML was very capable off road , the first thing car salesman do now is look underneath the car to see any signs of damage.I went on Landrovers test track and there were parts that the disco couldnt do but a Frontera could , most cars will do anything it all depends on the driver mostly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the magazines unfairly test all the 4x4's against each other.I have driven the new ML and also driven the Disco 3 .They are so different , the Disco is a proper 4x4 so to compare it with the likes of BMW,Volvo so on is not a comparison , they are really soft offroaders where as the Disco isnt , the only competetion it has is the Toyota's which arent in the same league.Driving the Disco you do know its a 4x4 , but the others are like big estate cars and they drive like them much better on the tarmac.The old ML was very capable off road , the first thing car salesman do now is look underneath the car to see any signs of damage.I went on Landrovers test track and there were parts that the disco couldnt do but a Frontera could , most cars will do anything it all depends on the driver mostly.
As an owner of a new mercedes E class estate the last vehicle I would touch is anything Mercedes until they Prove and I mean prove not say that they have sorted out their quality control problems. The fact that my

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Frontera too, not come across anything that it can do that the disco can't but you are spot on with the comparison point. The X5 ML et al are beefed up estates not off road capable cars. Give BMW their due they have always said this. The Toyota is nice enough, but put the disco in the rough stuff and it is awesome even on road tyres.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts