New to Caravanning - help!

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello folks,

I am new to caravanning as an owner, having spent some holidays in the past in a family van.

I am a rather tall chap, over 6ft 4, and I know the restrictions etc., well voiced. But ideally I need some decent rooms and ideally a fixed end bed as I like the idea of having a permanent bed as I may spend several months living in the van due to work. I have seen a 2006 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux 4 berth touring caravan for sale for around £5,000, an wondered whether this would be a decent choice for one person to live in (for a month or two).

Any advice is very welcomed, and it's good to be here!

Howard

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
The caravan you mention is one with an ABS plastic front & rear panels like many other makes of caravans dating from 2005 to very recently . these ABS panels were subject to "stress cracks"emanating from under the awning rails & the cross roof bar that joins the plastic panel to the aluminum roof panel . These cracks may appear as very fine hairline cracks 2-3 cm in length & can be the source of severe water/damp penetration into the main wood frame of the van causing extremely expensive dampness problems & VERY expensive to repair.So examine the plastic panels very closely for cracks & evidence of repair to cracks ,& if found walk away.
the best bet is to get a mobile caravan service mechanic to carry out a PRE SALE inspection as £50 - 60 could save you several thousand pounds in damp repairs , plus give you peace of mind in your purchase

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks very much for the info, most important. I reality I am looking for some good advice as to the most suitable and best make of caravan - large enough yet reliable. I imagine that they all have their foible's, yet I am keen to try and understand the must have's and avoids! My budget is around 4k, so I know I won't find a palace, but any advice is welcomed for a novice!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
All caravans are designed for an average height person of less than 6 ft. You may struggle on ceiling height, but if the van you go for has the front or rear make-up double bed across the full width of the van then you should be OK for sleeping. Fixed beds won't have the length you want. :(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our old Bailey Pageant Vendee had a full size rear transverse bed.This would easily suit your needs.
However as with all caravan designs there are trade offs. You may well find the side bathroom too cramped for your height.
I suggest you visit a few dealers and check out their used stock to see what layout suits you best.
Then you need to be sure you have the correct tow car for the job .

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Yes you could consider a caravan where you can sleep along the van instead of across it. Many lounge areas with long sofas convert to a long 6ft wide luxury bed. You can always add a footstool or modify with a pull out extension for your feet as they don't need much mattress and just stretch the sheet over it . If you're away working and have left the wife behind then just sleep diagonally. If the bed is longitudinal and hemmed in and depending on layout then you might be able to modify the partition, knock through and steal a few inches of foot cubby from a cabinet in an adjacent room/zone.
As for standing headroom If you find one with the skylight where your head would be when washing up then that might just work. Most other chores can be done sitting like chopping veg and you just need to duck between the two..
(Failing that fit a small pull-out off the side of the van to contain your feet :lol: .)
Onwards and upwards.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is not a lot in it for quality on British caravans. The German Hobby is almost certainly better built but the larger ones are favoured by travelers and seem to have a higher theft rate.
A lot may depend on what you want as a bathroom. Those across the back are larger and probably better for someone living in it. That does leave you with a problem of the bed. I do not think you will fins a fixed bed you will fit in unless you find one with the bed at the front. These are usually smaller foreign built ones and if you find one then it could be your best bet on layout. The alternative is to use the front lounge as a bed as most are perfectly comfortable when made up and find one with a side dinette. This would be a two seater opposite the kitchen. The downside is no where to lounge apart from laying on the bed.
Given your height and the fact you want to live in it I am not sure there is a perfect van but the fixed front bed if you can find one looks best. Get good security for it though as you cannot afford a theft.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Use every opportunity to look round dealers forecourts inside the pre-loved caravans and compile a check list of likes and dislikes to compare models with each other.
Click Here to browse the Caravan Buyers Guide which will identify the salient points to check before you part with your hard earned money. Click on the tabs to navigate the website and you should avoid the more common caravan buying pitfalls.
The Used Caravan Price Guide will provide a rough and ready idea of how much most used tourers are worth, use the buyers guide to find out how to correctly identify the year of manufacture (one of the more common rip-off's is to claim that a caravan is younger than the date of manufacture.)
Condition is more important than age when it comes to buying a tourer, a well maintained regularly serviced model is worth significantly more money than one which has been abused or neglected.

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for the great advice folks, I really appreciate it. As any really tall person will tell you, we can get into some odd spaces in comfort actually, so I am less concerned about the length of the bed - within reason! As for the make, I have read before that the Hobby is a favoured van for the traveller's and thus may be vulnerable, but the build quality seems ideal. My girlfriend is German and lives there, so maybe it is worth me buying a German van - I am not sure if they are cheaper but I am sure the market there must be larger?

My car is 2006 Volvo V70 D5, a cracking car all round so I imagine a decent towing car from the little research I have done but again any advice is welcomed. The dealer prices seem much higher, but of course you get the cover and some degree of sureity, but I don't have that much to spend so I am having to pitch for a decent second hand van. Thanks for the advice, it seems the caravaning community has some nice folks in it and I am looking forward to joining in - believe it or not I have always defended caravans on the road as I see them as freedom and adventure!!

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello, yes I checked and it is 1752kgs kerb weight and have been told it will tow up to 1800kg, but of course I will take professional advice prior to committing to a van - best to be legal and in control.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
This web site gives a kerb weight of only 1561 kg which is 200 kg less than your figure. :( Did you get your value from the V5C certificate?

Quote "have been told it will tow up to 1800kg" - Look on the weight plate to get max tow weight (the difference between the first 2 of the 4 weights given).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts