New tyres for caravan

Jun 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi there

I have done a search of all listings on the forum and not found any answers therefore I cry for help.

I purchased an Elddis Wisp 510/6 van last year and used it for a couple of days towards the end of the season last year, short distances from home. This is my first caravan and the fact that I am wheelchair dependant throws a few problems of their own but the major problem is listed below.

I need to fit new tyres no the van as the sidewalls are cracked and there is a slight bulge on one tyres. I would not trust the tyres so I want to replace them as soon as possible before I use the van this year.

I have done various searches on the Internet but not really turned up any results. I have called Kwik Fit and similar places but I get the impression that they are not really aware of what is required hence my posting here.

Can anyone give me an idea of where to get tyres at reasonable prices?

The tyres size is 175 R 13C.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dougy

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi there 175R13C is a fairly common tyre (used on light commercial vehicles e.g vans) any tyre place should be able to get hold of these and fit them with no problems.

You will be looking at around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your Wisp was made between 1990/3 and weighed in loaded at something like 950kg or less . If this is correct a pair of 6ply 'budget' tyres of the size you state will fit the bill which should be about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need to consider the weight of the van as others have said. Also, if you intend to take the van to France, the tyres are supposed to be suitable for the maximum motorway speed.

it's a bit complicated but there is a very good leaflet from Caravan Claub on Wheels and Tyres which will answer all your questions. You can download it from their site in.pdf format if you are a member.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Glad to see you've got your tyres sorted. The guys and gals were very helpful. My father in law is disabled too and he has to depend on us lot (the family) for help with his caravanning hobby. We don't mind at all. We set his van up first knowing that we are first in line for the tea pot.

We travel as a group of upto six caravans which sometimes get's a funny look from others but what the heck we're having fun.

I suffer from sleep aphea which means I have to use an air pump at night to ensure I don't croak, I plonk the pump out of the window on top of the gas locker, you can't get enough of the good old fresh air in the country.

Enjoy your self and have fun.

Jan 17, 2006
Visit site
Glad to see you've got your tyres sorted. The guys and gals were very helpful. My father in law is disabled too and he has to depend on us lot (the family) for help with his caravanning hobby. We don't mind at all. We set his van up first knowing that we are first in line for the tea pot.

We travel as a group of upto six caravans which sometimes get's a funny look from others but what the heck we're having fun.

I suffer from sleep aphea which means I have to use an air pump at night to ensure I don't croak, I plonk the pump out of the window on top of the gas locker, you can't get enough of the good old fresh air in the country.

Enjoy your self and have fun.
Hello there, reading your comments regarding tyres. I own a 1977 Fleetwood Cavalier (in the family since new and a fine example 460GTS) and I'm looking to replace the 6.40R13 6ply crossply tyres as they are very old. I understand that the radial replacement was 175/89R13-94 which is now obsolete and the equivalent is the tyre that you've already mentioned - the commercial 175R13C-6ply. My question is this, the Cavalier has a very low ride height and cannot afford to compromise much on tyre profile, does anybody know the profile (ie height/width ratio) of the 175R13C-6ply tyre? Maximum to Minimum ratio versus tyre-pressure would suffice, but I'm doubtful KwikFit would be able to answer this sort of question!

TRENDING THREADS