New X-Trail - Attn Ray and anyone else who has one!

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Looking at buying a New X-Trail Tekna 173bhp. Can you tell me what fuel consumption is for solo and towing? Will be towing a Bailey with mtplm of 1480kg. Any info appreciated.
Regards
FrankE

May 12, 2011
Visit site
We have a 2009 model, same engine towing a Swift 550 at 1495kg and a boot full of dogs & clogs. It returns about 29mpg towing, maybe a little higher (30 or 31 ) in France. We live in the middle of the West Mids connurbation so only get 34 doing very short journeys such as going to the shops but this week did two runs from Walsall to Southampton and back and got 41, even allowing for congestion at the start and finish.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the 150bhp diesel for over 2 years and it was very good
I didn't reply to this at first because I thought it was about the NEW just announced X Trail
We had the Sport and it did everything well including towing the Ace Award at 1550 kg max
The disappointing thing was the emergency full size not to be used for towing spare
I got a wheel off the old model Columbia but never neded it !!!
Outfit fully laden with 2 canopies(one each side) leaving Exeter CC site en route to 5 weeks in France
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
everton1 said:
Looking at buying a New X-Trail Tekna 173bhp. Can you tell me what fuel consumption is for solo and towing? Will be towing a Bailey with mtplm of 1480kg. Any info appreciated.
Regards
FrankE
Frank
The 171bhp xtrail returns around 30mpg towing 1333kg, the trip computer shows for local driving 39 plus mpg, the max i have had was 44mpg solo while running in.
I am very happy with the economy, as i was with the first xtrail a 2004 T30.
Only covered 11.5k miles in nearly 21 months, so the engine has only just been fully run in, the wife loves to drive the car.
Car has been faultless since new, only niggle is the rear view mirror which did vibrate at certain revs, until i padded it with a small sponge between the car roof and mirror top, also keeps out the sun.
As john mentions although the car comes with a full size wheel in 16" form the tyre is not rated for speeds above 50mph, or heavy loading.
So i had the tyre replaced onto the same rim with a fully rated tyre, i have had one puncture so it has been tested, but only solo at speeds below 60mph.
If you have any other questions just ask.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray
Its also stated in the handbook NOT TO BE USED FOR TOWING
Having previosly owned 3 T30 all with "proper" spare wheels and the Columbia had a 17in alloy spare I was sorry to see the 16 in steel spare and could see no point in it as the 17in fits in the same space in the boot
Nissan also wanted more for one matching alloy than you can buy a set of 4 17 in alloys with tyres from Halfords etc and they didn't have a 17in steel rim available!!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I'm happy to tow if required with the steel 16", now i have fitted a fully rated tyre to it,
(the load index is actually higher than the ones on the alloy) the overall diameter is only 6mm less than the alloy wheel.
You can get close to that with tyre wear, and as i have said the spare has been used already, albeit only for 15 mile.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would be happy to tow with it too--just didn't think of doing that!!
My main concern was if going for a ferry etc and not being legal in the event of a puncture
The alloy I got was virtually as new with a very good tyre and cost about £160 some of which I recouped on selling the XT
The Kuga has a temporary spare of reduced size but no towing ban
smiley-surprised.gif

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Sorry for delay in responding but this new site layout baffles me!! Thank you all for your comments. It has raised concerns about the spare wheel and the DPF as reported by "Honest John". Probably stick with current X-trail for now.
FrankE

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
everton1 said:
Sorry for delay in responding but this new site layout baffles me!! Thank you all for your comments. It has raised concerns about the spare wheel and the DPF as reported by "Honest John". Probably stick with current X-trail for now.
FrankE
My Feb 2009 xtrail has yet to give me a PDF light.
I have only 11.5K miles on the clock, not much short of two years old.
Now i consider my driving to be short trips, but not city short trips.
Also i regularly run at just above 1500 RPM, so i think the PDF scares don't apply to every model.
But if you do get the light on, the best advice i have read is to run the car with at lest 2K revs, or 2.5k if possible, speed isn't the issue, its getting the exhaust hot enough to regenerate, 20 Min's of this should put the light out.
Thats the theory, as yet to be tested.
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray
My DPF (diesel particulate filter) light only ever came on once in 2 years and then I got a weird symbol on the dashboard
By the time I had stopped and found out what it was for it had gone out again
My neighbour who has a Qashki and a solicitor daughter had long and procrastinated correspondence with Nissan and threatened court proceedings because he had not been made aware of the DPF and what happens if you only do short runs
In the end their solicitors had more resources and he had to give in

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Thats interesting john, what mileage had you done when the light came up?
When i bought the xtrail, the dealer gave me a leaflet with all the information, i was then asked to sign to say the instructions had been read and understood.
As the T31 came out in 2007, all i can assume the teething problems were sorted when i bought mine in 2009?

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I did some investigation when I was getting a smell of burning rubber from my X-Trail when doing a run of about 20 miles, and the Nissn service dept just looked blank when I mentioned it. It seems as though this is just a symptom of the DPF regeneration cycle, and many other makes get similar problems with smells and warning lights. Like the a previous poster I have only had the warning light come on once about 6 months ago, despite most of my journeys being short and in town so its not a major problem. Sod's law though, it was the night before catching the ferry, with lots of packing still to do and I had to waste half an hour driving to the nearest trunk road to give it a blast.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Well I've learnt something new, i had that smell of burning rubber the other day, just after parking in the garage, i checked the tyres for overheating, all ok.
So it was the PDF?
Good its working.
Spent 2 hours today taking most of the snow of the top of the caravan.
Two foot of it!
Drifts up to four foot in the back garden.
Not seen the like since i was a lad in the 60's.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand that the new X-trail that has just been announced (updated version) and the latest Pathfinder have been modified such that the DPF problem will not arise if the car is used for short journeys or spends long periods in heavy traffic ie regular coommutes in congested cities. Someone told me that a 5th 'injector' had been fitted so that fuel can be directed straight into the DPF and hence burn off the 'coke'. If it is true it seems like a good idea, but one that will not impact the manufacturers official mpg figures in an adverse way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand that the new X-trail that has just been announced (updated version) and the latest Pathfinder have been modified such that the DPF problem will not arise if the car is used for short journeys or spends long periods in heavy traffic ie regular coommutes in congested cities. Someone told me that a 5th 'injector' had been fitted so that fuel can be directed straight into the DPF and hence burn off the 'coke'. If it is true it seems like a good idea, but one that will not impact the manufacturers official mpg figures in an adverse way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
WatsonJohnG said:
I wonder if this 5th injector is injecting direct into the exhaust/DPF thus avoiding oil dilution
Food for thought

Here's another link that includes a DPF warning light picture
smiley-cool.gif

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/blog/tag/nissan-diesel-particulate-filter-dpf-problems-fixed/

Interesting john.
I didn't realize how many makes now use them, and have problems!
Showed the wife that symbol, and mentioned that the light may only flash on/off, which i wasn't aware of.
It would be easier to find a make that doesn't use a PDF, if there is one?
smiley-surprised.gif

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have an Elddis 2010 Crusader Tornado, (1618 MTPLM). I tow this with a 2009 Nissan X Trail Tekna 173. We have been in France/Spain twice this year doing about 4000 miles per trip.
I am very impressed with the towing ability of the X Trail. We get roughly between 24 and 34 mpg depending on the wind and if were following a lorry on the motorways. Without the caravan we get between 40 and 45 depending who is driving, (wife or myself), and of course the type of jouney.
Its very comfortable and the 4 wheel drive is superb when you need to use it. As you know its full of toys and a dream to drive.
I have completed just 16000 miles and have changed the front tyres although they were not on the limit yet, but we are hoping to set off to Spain in February so I wanted to ensure there was pleant of rubber for the next 5000 miles or so.
I cannot say of any real downsides to this car. It also goes well solo as you may imagine with 173bhp.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
One of the motoring magazines did a 3 yr comparison ie cost, final value and running costs etc of a Nissan X trail against an Audi Q5 and i was amazed to see that the Audi over 3 years was cheaper.
Of course this was from new with 12k miles a year

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts