Newbie Questions

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Evening All

So after years of campervanning I am finally growing up and purchasing my first Caravan for our growing family. Thing is I have so many daft questions to clear up in my head first. I hope you can help!

First up, Towbars. I have a 60 plate VW passat blue motion 1.6, with a max towing weight of 1400kgs, and am considering purchasing either a Bailey Orion 450/5 or a Elldis Xplore 495 or a Adria Altea 452, all light weight starter caravans I believe. But what do I get first, the van or the towbar? Which tow car would people recommend? Should I go to my VW garage or pick somthing up off the net?

Secondly, the vans mentined above. Any good? Does anyone have any experience with any of the models?

Third, dare I even ask - Covers, yes or no? (it will be parked on a driveway with no sappy trees overhead)

Thats it for now, although I am sure more will crop up over the next few weeks.

Thanks, your help is appreciated!

Greg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
First of all you need to consider what sort of towbar you want. A fixed towbar with bolt-on towball? a fixed swan-neck? or a detachable? All have their advantages and disadvantages. The bolt-on towball type is probably the cheapest, but the ugliest. The fixed swan neck is slightly more expensive, but looks a lot better. The detachable is the most expensive, but saves a lot of knocked knees and the towbar is invisible when not in use. Either way, you will need a towbar before you start towing. If you are sure that you want to start caravanning, the towbar is the first investment, regardless of the the caravan that you will want to tow.
I would recommend buying a towbar from one of the renowned OEM manufacturers such as Brink/Thule, Westfalia, or Bosal as they are sure to offer a towbar that is adequately corrosion protected and design co-ordinated with the car manufacturer.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
You are already a camper so you are not a newbee. i my self would go for a tucsson 4x4 it would not be so much diffrence in price from your vw the van its self i am a adria fan for build and durabilaty.Dont go so small you are lready a seasond camper the adora is not a lot more and a tow car to match will make all the diffrence. If you was a new bee it may be diffrent but you already know you like it.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
you are right to stick to small and lightweight with the tow car you have I'm sure either van will be okay and it sounds like you'll be going for a new one so at least you'll have the warranty. You could ask your VW garage who they use for their towbars, most use a local independent who will be cheaper than the dealer. Cover???? NO!!!!!!

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your help guys, so towbar shopping it is! I like the sound of a detachable one, I have a company car and do 1000 miles a week so not having somthing sticking out all the time has to be a bonus. I would love a 4x4 but they wont let me swap it out so I am stuck with the towing weight for now.

TRENDING THREADS