Newbie Towing Questions

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm about to pick up my first caravan and having never towed before, I've got a few questions...

The caravan I've bought (Bailey Pageant Series 6) apparently only has one electrical cable - this is good as my towcar only has one socket - is this normal? (for the caravan, not the car). Would the cable on the caravan be a standard 7-pin? (that's what the female socket on my towcar is). If so, would this also handle the split charging for the caravan's battery etc? If not, would it be a european 13 pin jobbie (technical term) and would I need an adapter? Or do I need to change the towing electrics on my towcar to provide the extra socket?

The caravan also has an alko hitch lock (I think with stabiliser), I have a swan neck towball - will this be OK? I have read that I need a grease free towball for the stabiliser - can someone confirm this?

From my reading so far, I know I'm going to need a number plate and towing mirrors but is there anything else I need to have/prepare for in order to ensure I can tow the caravan home? It's a private purchase and the shops will be shut when I pick it up so I know I need to be prepared but being new to all this, I'm not sure on everything I need to do.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

It sounds as though your caravan has a 13 pin connector, rather than a single 7 pin.(There are usually two , if they are 7 pin) If your car only has one connector, then you will probably need an extra (grey) one for the fridge.

Your lights will work from the black connector that is already there.

If your tow ball is new, remember to remove the protective film used by the manufacturer or you will contaminate the stabilisers pads (fine emery paper and brake degreaser will work).

Hope this is of use,

Ron

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Dave,

Forgot to mention that if the caravan does have a 13 pin plug, you can buy an adaptor lesd to plug into two 7 pin sockets.

Ron.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As your car apparently only has one socket, buying an adapter for the 13-pin plug on your caravan is not going to help because you would not be able to use the fridge while on the move and the reversing lights won't work either. Rather than add a second 12S circuit for these and use that together with an adapter it would be better to add the missing wiring for fridge and reversing light, and exchange the 7-pin socket on the car for a 13-pin one.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone, this is helpful, although it has raised a different question which I will start a new thread with (i.e. why has my UK made caravan got a 13pin euro plug on it?)

Thanks for all your input

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts