next base dashcam

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi all I have just bought a 312 GW nextbase dashcam , and I also bought the hard wire kit , I would like to know if any body who has hard wired their dashcam where they routed the wiring from the fuse box to the dashcam position , my car is a 2008 Kia Sorento ,

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the MIO 635 WifFi, and with MIO you can buy what is known as a smart box. If you have the parking facility on the Nex it may be worth considering said box. This runs from a permanent live feed. I had mine done at a company in Derby, Mobile Solutions who hard wired it and routed through both headling and A pillar for £40.

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
it has the parking facility built in , and I have bought the hard wire kit , so I thought I would try to see any pitfalls from others that have used the kit ,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Car-Camera-Hard-Wire/dp/B00XHYSQAC

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Having just DIY installed our own in two vehicles it is prudent to mention that there are legal requirements with where the dashcam itself can and can't be located.
Getting this wrong might only lead to an MOT failure or advisory but in law has the potential to be very much more serious if contravening various UK Road Traffic Act 1988 issues.
Hopefully the trade installers are well up to speed on these but it is all too easy for us DIYers to step the wrong side in ignorance; certainly now knowing I see many that do.

http://www.theroadtrafficlawyer.com/dash-cameras-improper-placement-can-put-risk/
Edit: in addition to these legal challenges both of our vehicles had forward looking senors built into the rear view mirror and working round not "blinding" them added additional challenges. Plus mine were stick on mounted and the instruction say temperature must be in excess of 20 C for the bonding, at this time of the year!
What was initially thought an easy fitting task became a whole lot more difficult as the "passenger" did not also want it plonked in front of them.
In my case the units were the micro sized ones not the much bulkier Nextbase, I don't know how with our vehicles I could have coped with these; all issues not thought about to any depth when purchasing.

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
the dashcam comes with a diagram of the legal places to position , but reading the government guide lines of distraction , I just wonder why a speedo is allowed or a sun blind visors ,

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
joby1 said:
the dashcam comes with a diagram of the legal places to position , but reading the government guide lines of distraction , I just wonder why a speedo is allowed or a sun blind visors ,

Good to hear that some dashcam makers provide the information; mine had no such guidance.

In respect to inbuilt fixtures such as mirrors, visors etc I read that anything standard on the homologised vehicle is permitted, the issue comes with post homologisation. Here I don't doubt if ever put to the test motorhome builders taking and modifying approved cabs , like fitting night blinds etc,could catch a painful “cold”

May 24, 2014
Visit site
They mounted mine in a way that both the sucker and stalk sit behind the rear view mirror and the camera is then just slightly low and left of the mirror. I find that the wide angle on the camera compensates easily for not sitting dead centre. The wire then follows the rear view mirror stalk into the headlining and then down the pillar to the electrics. They picked up a permanent live from there.

Some cameras recommend a minimum class 6 card but most specifiy class 10 and also have a maximum size. My last one, 32gb, this one 128gb. I would select a medium setting for quality and a three min recording segment is ample.

A word of caution. The evidence from cameras is admissable in court, but always remember it works both ways. I always wonder that when insurance companies tell you never to accept blame, rather let them deal with it, how would they consider your own camera evidence if it definitely puts you in the wrong?

For my own two penneth, I would make them a legal requirement and have them permanently mounted.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thingy, by "permanent live", do you mean that, or live through the ignition? If permanent, how long would it take the constantly running camera to flatten the battery?
I ask, because it could be a useful burglar spotter!

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Next Base Cam it also is hard wired to a ignition controlled switch, wireing goe,s behind the mirror and along the head lining down the pillow to the fuse board. It can also be setup for parking.

Trevor

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
emmerson said:
Thingy, by "permanent live", do you mean that, or live through the ignition? If permanent, how long would it take the constantly running camera to flatten the battery?
I ask, because it could be a useful burglar spotter!

You should always use a 'parking box' which may be an option or built in. These allow the user to set a minimum acceptable voltage, below which the dashcam shuts down to prevent a flat vehicle battery. It also provides a parking on/off switch.
The parking function is limited, since the view is of course only that via the windscreen, although there are some dash cameras that have an additional camera facing the interior. Dashcam selection is fraught with dud units, even amongst well known brands. Check out some tests here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/#other-brands-and-models.98

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Exactly as Chrisn7 says. The box prevents a flattened battery by auto switching to off when the battery drops below a pre-configured voltage. The permanent live is just that. The camera sensors trigger recording when in parking mode if the car is bumped or rocked.
In all honesty the parking thing is a bit of a pain as it activates everytime you climb into the car leaving loads of segments with nothing happening. I use mine slightly differently by only activating the parking setting in areas of high danger, supermarkets, town centre car parks, or places that would be considered a tad dodgy - anywhwere in Yorkshire - for example. :p :p :p :p

There is some footage from my cam in the photography section which highlights the angles although not mounted dead centre.

Further, if you wish to stitch the segments recorded into one long video, either to view a trip or to put on Youtube, the program I use is free from http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, peeps, it all sounds too complicated for this old dinosaur! I'll just leave it switched thru' the key.
I tried it on a short trip this afternoon, about five miles altogether, including about an hour parked up, but for some reason it only recorded the last three seconds as I parked the car at home!
I guess me and technology just don't get on!
As for the reverse camera, well, why would I want to watch videos, or listen to music on it? I want to use it to hitch up my caravan, that's all! But apparently on the one Herself bought, a Tech Bean, it does all these things I don't need,so has miriads of wires, and no install instructions!

I despair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi Emmerson its like any new fandango,if like me i had to read and reread something i thought id understood before the dam thing started to work properly and now i've read my dash cam has a camera mode ,just have to remember which 2 buttons i have to press in total 3 times.. or was it 3 buttons twice!!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Had one for Xmas, replaced my old cheapo one that had been running for at least three years.
Set the new one today, tucked behind the rear view mirror as best I can and found that it has a screen saver. After showing that it's recording the screen goes blank after about 30 seconds, nothing to see,so I think it should be ok legally. :unsure: :unsure:

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
obviously not many Kia owners with a hardwired dashcam on here , which fuse did you connect the dashcam to
_________________________________________________________________________________________
this is the spec , its also a Which best buy ,
Nextbase Dash Cam 312GW  Extra Info
World’s first dashcam with Powered Magnetic Click & Go car mount for easy installation
Inbuilt Wi-Fi to share your footage directly to your smartphone with the Nextbase App
GPS receiver and G sensor to record location and force data
Ultra clear 2.7 inch 16:9 LED screen for easy playback and menu operation
Automatically record whilst driving - your own independent witness in FULL 1080p High Definition
Super slim line design – Measures 92 x 56 x 18mm (37mm incl.lens)
Instant evidence to support insurance claims to help prove an incident was not your fault
140 degree wide angle view with automatic 1080 High Definition recording at 30 frames per second
Six-Element Sharp Lenses made with 6 layers of glass to provide stunning clear images
Photo mode allows you to take still images for further evidence
Easy to Install with included 12v cigarette power cable and Powered Click & Go window suction mount included
SOS data protection prevents the impact/event recording from being deleted
Loop recording feature prevents recording from stopping when the SD card is full so you are always recording
Dimensions: 9.2 x 5.6 x 1.8 cm – 3.7 incl.lens WxHxD
Supports SDHC and SDXC Micro SD cards (not included) up to 32GB

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hardwiring: first check your 12v accessory socket and establish if this is live or not with ignition off. Many cars have this dead, but BMWs tend to be live.

Assuming the socket is dead with ignition off, then you don't need a 'parking box' as mentioned earlier in the thread. You can buy a pre-wired 12v accessory socket (not a plug) from Halfords, ebay, etc. Solder the + and - to the wires to the existing car accessory socket wires (positive is the centre terminal). Ensure any bare connections are insulated with tape or the original sleeves.

Now simply plug the 12v plug/power lead supplied with the dash cam into your new socket. This plug will already have the correct fuse in, so no worries there. Tape the two together so connection is not lost from vibrating apart.

Run the other end to your chosen dashcam location, ensuring the cable can't interfere with any moving parts.

You can get a neat trouble free set up this way that is ignition controlled-just needs a bit more effort

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You have to remember though the dashcam batteries are very low capacity and if parking mode is required, they wont run for long if supplying their own power. However, if parking mode is not required, thats a different matter.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from a week away, and find that the dashcam has recorded precisely nowt! Pictures on the screen, which Herself tells me are live, but no recording. It is now put away in the glove box until I can get some tech assistance.
PS, my son just called in and says his is working OK. Must be me!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
emmerson said:
Just got back from a week away, and find that the dashcam has recorded precisely nowt! Pictures on the screen, which Herself tells me are live, but no recording. It is now put away in the glove box until I can get some tech assistance.
PS, my son just called in and says his is working OK. Must be me!
just a thought and please dont take offence you have fitted a micro sd card?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I fitted the little card. It did actually record the first time I tried it, but only the last three seconds of a ten minute journey!
My co-pilot says the recording light was flashing all the time, but nothing happened.
As for the reverse camera..........why does it have to have the capability to show videos from a memory stick, and play music? Un-necessary complication that my feeble brain can't cope with. I think it will be returned and I'll buy another £50 wireless one from Maplins.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I think the camera records in 2 or 3 minute chunks then overwrites due to storage capacity, so it could be you caught it just after it started to overwrite

May 24, 2014
Visit site
On most (but not all) dashcams, you have the ability to set the length of segment. More than that, if you wish to allocate some memory to various functions, for example the parking facility, the system requires that you allocate a portion of memory just for the parking. There is usually a facility for this within the menu.

Things to check are
the correct class of SD card.
memory correctly allocated.
faulty card.
Is the card new, if not, does it require formatting.
If not new, is there anything else on the card.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts