Night heating in winter - Fanmaster mk1 or ??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Call me “Ye of little faith”,!
We never sleep with any gas appliance on. We have all the smoke and CO alarms but you just don’t know what may fail.
Winter tog duvets work very well.
We would also never use gas heating on the rare occasions when we did put heat on overnight. But had no problem using gas during day/evenings if electric wasn’t available.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Call me “Ye of little faith”,!
We never sleep with any gas appliance on. We have all the smoke and CO alarms but you just don’t know what may fail.
Winter tog duvets work very well.
That makes two of us. Even with EHU we have the heat turned down to 16C between 10pm and 6.30am.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its up to each caravanner to decide how or if to use heating at night, and whilst there is nothing wrong with turning gas appliances off at night, the frequent references to "I'd never use gas over night" without any explanation of why, leaves the impression that gas appliances are inherently more dangerous at night which is not an fair or accurate perception.

I would only recommend considering using a heating appliance that is thermostatically controlled.

If your concern is products of combustion being a problem at night, then realistically if its dangerous at night, it must also be dangerous at any other time, and it should not be used until is has been made safe. Just becasue you may be awake, does not change the risk.

Gas appliance manufacturers have to go to considerable lengths to include multiple safety measures that provided the appliance and the installation has been fitted, maintained and used correctly, the appliance is no more dangerous day or night.

You might have good reason or preference not to use gas or electric heating at night, but if its becasue someone in the caravan may cause a hazard, such as dropping or allowing clothes or bedding to fall onto the heating appliance, that's not the appliances' fault.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Like OC and Buckmaan, I used electric heating at night. I may have used gas in the past, but cannot remember doing so.

Despite what the Prof says, I think it is perfectly understandable that some would not feel as safe using gas, particularly at night. Manufacturers may well make every effert to build appliances with safety built in, but the quality of instalation and maintenance are variables.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry bud no idea..I just found their web site by typing calor gas or try propane v butane there may well take you there 👌Gary
Calor give the boiling points of propane and butane as -42 deg c and -2deg c respectively. So I see nothing incorrect when Prof J says butanes boiling point is around 0 deg c. He’s entirely consistent throughout.. But it certainly doesn’t freeze at 0 deg C as per post #16. The respective freezing points fir propane and butane are given in #19.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry bud no idea..I just found their web site by typing calor gas or try propane v butane there may well take you there 👌Gary
I have done so, but could not find any where that I looked they state
"Also propane burns hotter..butane can freeze at 0.C"

What they do say is that
(https://www.calor.co.uk/propane)

"Thanks to the high octane rating, propane is ideal for heating, as it’s efficient and produces more energy per cubic metre than other forms of fuel."

There are several different ways of describing the energy content of LPG fuels, and that can sometimes be counter intuitive becasue of the number of variables that can affect measurement method. the calorific energy does not directly relate to temperature of combustion.

But as I stated Propane has a flame temperature of1980C in air compared to 1970 for Butane in the same circumstances. Its marginal but all authoritative sources confirm that Propane burns hotter than Butane.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
All modern gas appliances (apart from the cooker before some clever clogs comes along) are sealed and totally isolated from the inside.
Bit I still have both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....I've used a Carver Fan master circa 1995 at night on a low convection setting (no 12 volt fan running) due to low overnight temperatures.
Once was in Edinburgh for the new year celebrations when the temperature got down to minus 16C.
The sites electrics failed due to overloading so had to use gas...the heater coped and was perfectly safe.
You would be wise to use Propane as already advised.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I have done so, but could not find any where that I looked they state
"Also propane burns hotter..butane can freeze at 0.C"

What they do say is that
(https://www.calor.co.uk/propane)

"Thanks to the high octane rating, propane is ideal for heating, as it’s efficient and produces more energy per cubic metre than other forms of fuel."

There are several different ways of describing the energy content of LPG fuels, and that can sometimes be counter intuitive becasue of the number of variables that can affect measurement method. the calorific energy does not directly relate to temperature of combustion.

But as I stated Propane has a flame temperature of1980C in air compared to 1970 for Butane in the same circumstances. Its marginal but all authoritative sources confirm that Propane burns hotter than Butane.
So sorry I got that information from pure lpg they must have it wrong ..

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have the heating turned down to 6 or 8 C in the winter. Thick duvet is plenty. Can’t stand a hot bedroom. I would expire at 16C 😀
mel

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I‘m with you Roger. Besides, I‘d feel uncomfortable being wrapped up in bed just to keep warm. As you say, the way to the bathroom (or a bite into something from the fridge) in the moddle of the night would be rather unpleasant, too. I'd have to find something to put on first, and that probably in the dark in order not to wake anyone else.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So sorry I got that information from pure lpg they must have it wrong ..
They are part of Birmingham autogas
I have viewed their sites, and I have found the PureLPG comment Here
They say :-

PureLPG say:-
"Butane is a naturally flammable gas obtained from oil refining and natural gas processing. It has a boiling point of 0°C which is right around the same temperature for freezing water."

The word "freezing" relates to water not Butane.

"Propane burns hotter than butane due to its chemical structure, propane – C3H8, Butane C4 H10. Propane has a higher calorific value which means it gives out more energy than butane. Propane has a hotter flame temperature, hence why propane is the preffered fuel for cooking / catering applications (as well as heating)."

Technically correct Propane 1980C vs Butane 1970C, but the difference is so small the man in the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

There are several differences between the gasses, which makes direct comparisons technically difficult. The Industry use a special calculation to generate a WOBBE INDEX value for each gas, which indicates the the relative compatibility of different gasses with a view to using them in an appliance.

Broadly speaking Butane at 28mBar and Propane at 37mBar supply pressure will generate the same heating effect. At 30mBar Butane will will provide more heating effect than Propane.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All modern gas appliances (apart from the cooker before some clever clogs comes along) are sealed and totally isolated from the inside.
Bit I still have both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
However I don't think many caravan manufacturers are aware of this snippet of information? :ROFLMAO:

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I have viewed their sites, and I have found the PureLPG comment Here
They say :-

"Butane is a naturally flammable gas obtained from oil refining and natural gas processing. It has a boiling point of 0°C which is right around the same temperature for freezing water."

The word "freezing" relates to water not Butane.

"Propane burns hotter than butane due to its chemical structure, propane – C3H8, Butane C4 H10. Propane has a higher calorific value which means it gives out more energy than butane. Propane has a hotter flame temperature, hence why propane is the preffered fuel for cooking / catering applications (as well as heating)."

Technically correct Propane 1980C vs Butane 1970C, but the difference is so small the man in the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

There are several differences between the gasses, which makes direct comparisons technically difficult. The Industry use a special calculation to generate a WOBBE INDEX value for each gas, which indicates the the relative compatibility of different gasses with a view to using them in an appliance.

Broadly speaking Butane at 28mBar and Propane at 37mBar supply pressure will generate the same heating effect. At 30mBar Butane will will provide more heating effect than Propane.

Freezing is state liquid goes to solid state. Boiling is when liquid goes gas state which is issue that we discussing in this thread.

Two things that affect boiling point are pressure and temperature. Lower pressure lower boiling point. With gas heater lower pressure means it can't produce max heat.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Two things that affect boiling point are pressure and temperature. Lower pressure lower boiling point. With gas heater lower pressure means it can't produce max heat.
That is true, but it doesnt change the flame temperature which was the specific criteria in question. Big flame or small flame the temperature is the same, its volume of flame not its temperature that changes how quickly it will heat anything up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts