nissan or toyota pickups

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
has anyone got one of the above. it will be a double cab. its towing an abbey vogue 460. (i know thats not a problem to tow)i currently tow with a new discovery. but due to work may change for one of the above vehicles. so any informtion would be appreciated. as also the problem which may occur going on to certain sites as it will be a commercial vehicle.thankyou

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
I have a 2004 hilux pickup and tbh I love it. Not had a caravan on it yet but it has had a horse box with two substantial horses in it on the back and it was faultess.

Okay so they arnt the quickest vehicles in the world but if your're towing you dont really need it to be. I would guess the horse box weighed close to 2 ton and up hill it just chugged away with seemingly little effort.

I have no experience o fthe nissan as the missus works for a toyota dealership so my loyalties are tied although i have no problem slating them if i felt they wernt up to scratch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I may be wrong and perhaps I could be corrected in this matter. I was given to understand some time ago that some 4x4 commercial style vehicles would cause undue stress on the caravan chasis as a result of their higher ground clearance and also very hard suspension. If this was the case the caravan manufacturer would not hounour the warrenty. Should I be wrong I apologise for scaring any 4x4 owner unnecessary.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The new Nissan is rated as good car, one of our drivers fitted a "Shocklink" tow hitch to his for towing a caravan and preventing the problems Colin mentions.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Ed,

I towed for some time with a double cab Hilux GX and have owned 3 Hilux pickups over the years.

The only trouble with Toyota was that it was a bit under powered and did struggle up hills whilst towing, but it was a great plodder and would tow all day long.

I beleive that the newer Hilux pickups that have the D4D under the bonnet are better but they do not give as much power as the Nissan Navara.

Another problem we found was that some sites do not let you on because they do not let commerical vehicles on site and it costs a bloody fortune to drive over the severn bridge !

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
another problem that has arose with these nissan pickups is engine problems.i was under the impression it was a one off but ive seen three,and although i dont have anything to do with these pickups.the customers ive been to see who run them have all got to 60,000 miles and then the engines self destucted.two suffered broken cranks,one suffered valve trouble.since then ive heard of more destroyed engines.

Jan 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi.

I have the Mazda double pickup.

I have never had a problem getting into any sites. It is not sign writen though!

In 1999, I bought a new Nissan pickup and it was diabolical on fuel efficiency. I do think that I had a Friday afternoon mdel!! It is now an older version of the one available new today.

I know lots of people with the Nissans and they speak very highly of them.

Do not know about the Toyotas.

The Mazdza is lovely.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

If you hit search and put in Navara or L200 or pick up you will find quite a bit of archive stuff about vanning with pick ups.

The consensus has always been they are OK if this your vehicle of necessity but are not the ideal towcar.

As well as the already mentioned drawbacks of them being seen by some as a commercial vehicle and the possibility of damage to the van because of shock loading there are other worries, such as harsh bouncy ride unless loaded, poor steering lock, lack of interior space and lack of secure stowage.

They certainly look the part though I must admit and certainly with the Navara you are never going to lack for power or traction - a friend we know chain harrows the horse paddock with hers and tows a vast horse box with not a care in the world.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou for all the comments and information above. it has opened my eyes abit. what a good thing to have .a forum that actually does give advise. i will take all the comments into consideration thankyou. and take a bit more time deciding.thankyou all again. its very much appreciated.

DJP

May 12, 2006
Visit site
thankyou for all the comments and information above. it has opened my eyes abit. what a good thing to have .a forum that actually does give advise. i will take all the comments into consideration thankyou. and take a bit more time deciding.thankyou all again. its very much appreciated.
Hi Ed

I changed last year from a Sorento to a Isuzu Rodeo 3.0 double cab mainly due to company tax reasons, and can confirm the Rodeo makes a great tow car.

When fitted with the body coloured cab cover it looks like, if not better than other 4x4 type vehicles and swallows huge amounts of stuff, and we have had no trouble on site with it being a commercial. Also, the ride improves with weight on the back of it, but little difference between the Rodeo and Sorento when solo.

No problem with lack of power, and fuel comsumption at least equal to the Sorento, even though 3.0 auto. I also find the long wheel-base makes for a very stable ride when towing. Whatever type of double cab you choose you won't regret it. I would not to back to a 4x4 car now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts