Nissan Pathfinder

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi we're concidering replacing our ageing Mitsubishi Challenger/Shogun Sport 2.5td for a 1 to 2 year old Pathfinder. What are they like to own, how well do they tow, what are the running costs, and are their any major problems ? On paper they look better than the Challenger, 70% more BHP an Torque is up 50%. We've towed 3 vans with the challenger with no problems. Curent van is an 2007s Sterling Elite twin axel 1765kg, the car handles it very well. In fact we'd have another one if the fuel econamy was better. They're so low geared, they drink fuel like its going out of fashion. The best solo is 29 mpg, (56 mph on a motorway) averaging around 24 mpg. Towing is 19 mpg on motorways, but this drops when your on the A an B roads etc.

Cant aford a Disco 3. a friend has a Teracan and does'nt rate it, and the Serento owners I've talked to, arnt happy with the fuel consumption. We dont no of anyone with a pathfinder, I spoke to an owner of a Navara, towing a lighter twin axel, and he raved about 30+ towing on motorways.

Phill

G

If you haven't already bought it - check out www.knackerednavara.co.uk This site also deals with the equally problematic Pathfinder.

If you *have* already bought a Navara/Pathfinder - under no circumstance look up the above URL

Trust me, you don't want to know.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i know its not the same but my sister has a new nissan quashqai shes had nothing but trouble with it. she in the process of rejecting it it has a miss fire and its an inherant fault but they cant find the fault what a surprise.

she wouldnt have another nissan again. same company as renault.

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hiya, just been on autotrader and the jeeps start at about 9,000 for a 2005 reg diesal.

i had a grande cherokee r reg and it was fantastic towcar.

let us know what you choose.

jo-anne

G

i know its not the same but my sister has a new nissan quashqai shes had nothing but trouble with it. she in the process of rejecting it it has a miss fire and its an inherant fault but they cant find the fault what a surprise.

she wouldnt have another nissan again. same company as renault.⇦br/>

One of the reasons why I didn't go for the Patrol I was recently considering is the fact that it was a Nissan (although, supposedly built like a tank)

I once bought a brand new Terrano SVE with the 3 litre engine (similar to the Patrol engine) I kept it for only a few months, during which time it had numerous electrical faults.

For instance - driving through town less than three weeks after purchase and the oil light came on!

Immediate stop, rang dealer (expecting them to say, 'wait there, we'll organise a recovery truck')

Nah....they just told me that there was a known issue with the oil pressure sender. They told me to just ignore it and they would order a new one.

I asked them what would happen if it *wasn't* the sender - and the oil pump had packed up. "Don't worry, it's almost certainly the sender switch"

I had the family in the car, it was late afternoon, and we wanted to get home - so I gritted my teeth, started it up, and off we went.

It *was* the sender - took three more weeks for the part to arrive - and that was faulty as well!

Took another fortnight to get yet another sender switch - they fitted it, and all was well until shortly afterward the oil light came on again.

Took it back the dealer - they checked it - faulty sender, but not the sender they'd recently fitted!, the 3.0 litre engine had *two* - for different rev ranges!!

It took another three weeks to get that sender - by which time the instrument panel had started playing up.

Again "A known issue"! - the instruments are a one piece set-up - in my case, the rev counter was going bonkers, which the garage told me was a bit unusual as it was normally the speedo that failed ;)

Either case meant a brand new panel - which meant a new speedo, which meant having to explain the change of speedometer in the future when selling the car!

As the rev counter would sometimes work, and sometimes not work, I decided to leave it until it actually failed - and, anyway, my attention was now being taken up with other bits and pieces that were failing.

The headlamp washers stopped washing - and (most infuriating of all!) the drivers door seal kept falling off (honestly!)

You've probably no idea just how annoying it is to have to keep reattaching the seal every time you open the door ;) They replaced the seal THREE times, and it was STILL coming off when I got rid of the blasted thing, complete with dodgy rev counter.

The service manager told me that Nissan had altered their buying procedure, and were now sourcing electrical parts from Mexico. I can only assume that Mexican QC standards were rather different to those of Robert Bosch.

Mechanically it was OK - but I never kept it long enough to really see what would happen. I know that the X-Trails have a terrible history of turbo failures (more X-Fail's, really ;) and it does seem that the tie-in with Renault has been the kiss of death for Nissan quality.

I can remember when Nissan was almost as highly regarded as Toyota - but those days seem long gone now.

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Phillip

I tow a Compass Rallye 524 (1500kg) with a Sorento 2.5 diesel, I have found the "Sorri" good value for money with no major technical issues and very comfy. I have read there are varying figures for towing fuel consumptions. My last holiday was a run down to Cornwall for a week from NE England,across the South Coast to the New Forest for another week then home.Fuel on the way south averaged 22 mpg. Heading back North I was "a bit more conservative" with the driving and returned 26 mpg.

Good luck with your choice of vehicle

Rob

G

In the early/mid 90's Nissan *did* have an enviable reputation for reliability - inherited, in part, from their seemingly unbreakable Datsun models

That's past history though. Since the Millennium things have gone downhill (no pun) in a big way.

'Honest John' (one of the best and most informative car websites) have withdrawn their previous recommendation for the X-Trail because of the multitude of catastrophic turbo failures - some owners getting through three turbo replacements during the initial warranty period!)

The Navara/Pathfinder engine debacle is also well documented - #3 con-rod regularly smashes its way through the engine block (which is a pretty serious failure by anyone's standards;) A new engine costs over

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
Most people saying the kia doesn't get good mpg are obviously not driving it smoothly we get 30+ with our 2.5 CRDI. Sorento best of the bunch far better than pathfinder. Jeep cherokees are unreliable

and hyundai santa fe is not good at towing large twin axles. Sorento highly recommended look at the mass of awards it has won eg tow car of the year, top 4X4 in JD power survey.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 CRD vey reliable, easy driving returns 33mpg, I know many Cherokee owners and towers and have not heard the current Cherokee being called unreliable.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Like Linda

My Sorrie does everythingI ask of her. As I've said on other posts cruising at a real speed of 50 mph towing easily achieves 28mpg solo averages 32.

Check out uksorento.com for a most comprehensive mpg survey. The differences are quite amazing. I think it's to do with lead in the right foot.

Also don't forget not all of of us are rich enough to go for BMW x5 or Mercs so the Sorrie also suits my pocket very nicely.

Cheers

Alan

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Phillip,

Let's not forget you are towing a van weighing almost 1.8 tonnes. I think 19MPG is rather good for that weight and type of vehicle.

yes you might get a fractionally better fuel consumption with a different model but after factoring in the cost to change the car I bet you will be seriously out of pocket and as you say your Mitsi does the job well.

My x reg Shogun tows slightly less weight than you but uses the same amount of juice, albiet cheaper petrol, but I only do a low mileage per year and just can't think of anything that would do the job better.

Save your money, don't buy a Nissan by the sound of things and the price of oil is falling every day anyway!

PS. In my experience, previous Grand Cherokee ownership and Son in laws Wrangler, they are not durable, very unreliable and expensive to fix. I also cannot believe any jeep model would be much better than your Challenger towing 1.8 tonnes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts