No spark in cooker, water heater or heater

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I have Bailey Pegasus 2011 , just been away for few days and found we had no ignition spark on appliances cooker water heater or heater. Any advice appreciated.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is the problem when you are on or off EHU?
On the control panel which includes the voltmeter have you switched on the 12v supply?
Have you checked the main battery master fuse. It's next to the battery.
Do all the other 12v systems work?

This will do for starters.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As the problem seems to be affecting all of your appliances, it strongly suggests the 12V dc supply to them has been interrupted,

Do any of the other 12V things work? (Lights, extractor fans, water pump etc) if not then I would start to suspect the habitation relay which prevents 12V equipment from working when the caravan is connected to the car.

If some 12V things work, then Id be looking at the fuses again in case you have missed one, and the function of the power distribution board.

Beyond that its very difficult to do more remote diagnosis.

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Other 12v things working water pump lights etc, is it possibly spark igniter I have replaced battery in it but no difference, thanks for reply

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If other 12v systems work the problem has to be with the 12v supply to the spark ignition system.
If the fuses are ok ensure that there is no oxidisation or corrosion at the fuse board, check the power output end with 12v tester and if there is power trace the fault along the wiring harness.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All three items, heater , cooker , and water heater have their own ignition systems, they do not share a single unit.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Its been a couple of years since i had a van with a Trumatic heater, but I thought the ignition was battery operated not from the 12v supply?

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Spark igniters need an earth to work too. If you're checking wiring, also check the earth to the appliances. If the wiring looks okay, pull the connections off to check for corrosion on the contacts.

The fact that all three stopped working suddenly suggests to me that it's something simple, like a connector that came off while on the road.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
tadhgocuilleain said:
Spark igniters need an earth to work too. If you're checking wiring, also check the earth to the appliances. If the wiring looks okay, pull the connections off to check for corrosion on the contacts.

The fact that all three stopped working suddenly suggests to me that it's something simple, like a connector that came off while on the road.

........I agree especially if this was your first trip out this year.
You need an earth for a spark and invisible corrosion can prevent this.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
MichaelE said:
Its been a couple of years since i had a van with a Trumatic heater, but I thought the ignition was battery operated not from the 12v supply?

Correct, it is.
All have a common denominator but have different methods of power supply. :S To me that finda of rules out power issues as it is the 12v supply why is the fire not working, really unlucky for the 1.5v batt to fail at the same time?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
tadhgocuilleain said:

........I agree especially if this was your first trip out this year.
You need an earth for a spark and invisible corrosion can prevent this.
The earth cables to the appliances would be separate, i believe the cooker uses the actually hob as an earth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The variety of different replies indicates how difficult it is to diagnose your problem.

The fact that several independent appliances have stopped working simultaneously would suggest there may be a common cause, but it is particularly perplexing as has already been stated the Truma space heater has an independent battery driven igniter, which should divorce it from the other systems in the caravan.

Just for clarity, when you say there is no ignition spark, are you basing that on the fact the flame doesn't ignite, or have you checked there is no spark?

The only thing that seems common here is the fact they are all gas appliances, So here's another thought has the gas supply run out or been turned off?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Darbel
In your original post you stated
darebel said:
I have Bailey Pegasus 2011 , just been away for few days and found we had no ignition spark on appliances cooker water heater or heater. Any advice appreciated.

You now tell us
You
darebel said:
Spark problem sorted loose connection on cooker thanks for help

Has this fix also cured the Water heater and Space heaters also?

May 20, 2017
Visit site
MichaelE said:
The earth cables to the appliances would be separate, i believe the cooker uses the actually hob as an earth.

Yes, but the hob itself would need to be earthed.

ProfJohnL said:
Has this fix also cured the Water heater and Space heaters also?

I'd guess that the loose connection had a common earth or power supply for all appliances

darebel said:
Spark problem sorted loose connection on cooker thanks for help

Thanks for letting us know - as mentioned, it's nice to get feedback, so we know for future reference what the cause was.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
"Common Earth".
Thinking about this phrase causes me some concern. What we refer to as the earth on the 12v system is not the same as the earth on the 230v circuit. Caremust be taken not to cross wire the two systems.
I'm sure The Prof can expand on this :)

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
"Common Earth".
Thinking about this phrase causes me some concern. What we refer to as the earth on the 12v system is not the same as the earth on the 230v circuit. Caremust be taken not to cross wire the two systems.

You raise a very interesting question....and it promptly sent me out to the van to check! On my Elldis, the DC negative is quite certainly bonded to AC ground (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
"Common Earth".

Thank you Dusty

In caravans it's bad practice to use body panels, pipes, and chassis members to form part of the required conductive supplies and protection systems, so it is a requirement that all earthed mains appliances must use a three wire connection back to the incoming supply.

Whist we commonly refer to the Green Yellow wire in Mains appliances as the "earth", technically it forms part of the Continuous Protective Conductor (CPC) and as its name suggests it must be a continuous wired connection and not rely on any other appliances or mechanical connections to complete its circuit. It so vital becasue it forms the most important part of one of the caravans safety features the RCCB, and it must be checked to ensure it has a very low circuit impedance throughout the caravan.

Other metallic parts may connect to the CPC but they must not replace it's function, so its quite likely you will find the chassis and gas pipes will also have a low resistance connection to the CPC.

Most vehicular 12V systems use a negative earth protocol and the same is true in caravans, but the significant difference between cars and caravans is that cars are basically all metal and have a sufficiently good bonding between metallic parts to remove the need for all fittings to have a 0V connecting wire. The same is not true of caravans, so in caravans all 12V appliances must use both 0V and 12V connecting wires.

However as with the mains appliances CPC, in many 12V appliances the negative earth protocol is used and outer panels are likely to be at 0V potential, and where they touch adjacent metallic parts of the caravan The 0V potential will transfer so its likely the chassis and other components will appear to be connected to the battery negative terminal, as well as mains earth.

So Mains earth and battery negative can and do happily coexist on most metallic parts of a caravan But these surfaces are not designed or used as current carrying conductors.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
tadhgocuilleain said:
....I'd guess that the loose connection had a common earth or power supply for all appliances...

Id rather not guess, if we can have a full answer. It still seems unlikely to me that a loose connection on a cooker would disrupt the space heater.

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
"Common Earth".

At what point did I suggest connecting the mains supply to the 12V supply?
By "common earth" I was referring to the ground wires of all three appliances joining together at some point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts