Northern France

Jan 25, 2006
Visit site
We're travelling to France for the first time and would appreciate information about sites in Northern France - probably in Nord, Picardie or Haute Normandie. Just my wife and I, so looking for something relatively quiet but close enought to civilisation for restaurants etc. Plan to do a stopover in the Dunkerque/Calais area before travelling further afield. Can anyone help.

Tosh

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Tony

2005 was the first trip with our caravan. We didn't want to go too far. We travelled down to Folkestone on the Saturday and caught the Dover ferry early Sunday morning. A leisurely 5 hour drive takes you to http://www.camping-lecolombier.com. This is a lovely site. Part of http://www.les-castels.com group. Nice places to visit such as Honfleur, Deauville, Trouville, Camembert to name but a few. The Calvados region offers some good tasting opportunities too.

Dave

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony,

Agree with David, the Castels site "Le Colombier" is nice, very smart looking swimming pool in a classical French garden, bar in the old dovecote, etc. Favourite artisanal Calvados maker is about 1 km before the entrance to the site.

There is another Castels site within 10 km of this one - both are good.

If you have time - three days at the end of your French trip - I suggest you stay near Brugge (Bruges) and spend one or two days exploring that fantastic city - it's about 1 hour 30 mins North of Calais on the A16 motorway. There are camp sites close to the city - and remember this is the Dutch (OK Vlaams) speaking region so don't practise your French on the Belgian locals.

Robert

Nov 26, 2005
Visit site
We stopped off at a site called Camping Caravanning Du Chateau D'Hardelot at Condette. It deserved a longer stay than we gave it so we are stopping off again this year. It is a clean, very french site with 70 pitches. Centre Ville is 500m, supermarket 300m, Le Touquet 15km, Boulogne 12km. There are restaurants in the village, a grand medieval chateau nearby and the beach of Hardelot-Plage is a mere 15 minute cycle ride away. The area is mainly forest. If you can settle on a particular area then the guys on this forum will have excellent info to pass onto you. Cheers, Ben

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts