Northern Ireland forest parks-- Nearly permenant Hobby carava...

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
Have you seen these Hobby caravans this year? I have found them on three forest sites Glenarrif, Castlewellan and Drum Manor. We intended to stay around a week (12th week) at Drum Manor (Cookstown) but as our pitch was next to one of these Hobby caravans which had two cockerals in a cage directly behind their caravan and to be awakened at 4.50am on two mornings it was just too much. Our week away was ended early.

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Brian,

We have been to Drum Manor and Gosford alot this year and have never come across anything like that. I have noticed an increase in hobby caravans on sites though. It's a real shame that it ruined your holiday could you not have asked them to remove the birds or cover them with a rug.

Karen

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Valerie and Karen, thank you for your interest,so surprised that no one has had a similar experience as myself. Hobby caravans are top of the range, there is also a trailer equipped with a washing machine and tumble dryer gas operated also most of their caravans do not display a rear number plate. Away to Gosford this weekend. Thanks for response. Cheers.

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Brian,

Hope you have a better experience in Gosford this weekend. We tried to get on but they were fully booked this weekend so we are for Ballymacrea in Portrush. Looking forward to getting away as it's been 6 weeks since we have been away in the van. Enjoy your weekend.

Karen

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi brian,

last yr we were in drum manor and there was a group of english travellers on site but chattin to the warden they come over every year,not a bit of bother ,unlike there southern irish cousins who rolled in on a sat nite and disturbed every body. enough said!!!!

youre probably a fellow Norn Iron like karen and me, we have a wee meet on in carnfunnock on the 26th of sept give us a shout if you can make it. you will find us on www.carryoncamping.org.

wee stevie

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I'm confused here, is the issue that they had Hobby caravans (sold by Downshire caravans) or that they had birds that made noise OR WHAT?

Really interested as an ROI member of this forum...

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Brenda, the "birds" were real and stored in a cage behind their caravan. Hobby caravans most towed by white vans which had GB reg. plates.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The only "english travellers" I know of have nothing as posh as a Hobby. They usually have 1970 Sprites and are holed up in laybys and have been there so long they now have squatters rights.

We do have plenty of other "travellers" with Hobbys though. They are usually towed by VW vans with an IRL plate. I'll do you a deal, we'll take back the GB plates if you take back the IRL plates ... heh! heh! heh! We'll even accept the cockerells after a bird flu check ;O)

Mar 21, 2006
Visit site
what is the problem we were at drum manor over the weekend of the country fest and there were a number of hobbs and fendt vans the occupants of these fans were i assume what we settled people ie us weekend caravaners call travellers there we no problems with these travellers the site was clean and tidy there were a number of childern about and they were better behaved and more respectful than most other childern i have encountered on sites. The few travellers i spoke to over the weekend were polite and ok so just like weekend caravaners there are bad eggs in every section of our society m advice is to take as you find and do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
My original posting is getting slightly obscure. I just wondered who these "Hobby people" were. Are they still at Drum Manor? I have no problem with them except that they take up approx. a quarter of bookable pitches on site (say approx. 50 pitches less 12 "Hobbys") which makes it more difficult for local weekenders to book a pitch on the site

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Just to up date any would be visitors to Drum Manor Cookstown: We booked to go this weekend but when I phoned to confirm my booking and when I asked about the travellers I was told that there were 11 travellers vans on site. I was cross because when I booked I was not told this. I cancelled the 2 pitches we had booked and told them I wouldn't consider going there again until they had moved on.

Karen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts