Norway - anyone been there?

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Would like to visit Norway but the coastal voyages are very expensive so I thought of the caravan. Has anyone been there and got any advice for me please? In particular info about caravan sites, and any rules about snow/tyres if one went a long way north in spring or autumn.

All comments appreciated.

Pete

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi, yes we have been a few times. OH is Norwegian, from the north of the country so we have been quite a few places.

There are plenty of sites ranging from basic to good quality, pitch prices are reasonable. Apart from the winter ski-ing sites, most are only open from about May to September/October.

I would not advise travelling there outside of that period as the roads in the north may well be closed, depending on the weather of course. You would certainly need special winter tyres(compulsory)between about November and April. The dates are set, but brought forward if the snow comes early.

The days are also very short late/early in the year, and of course it can be very cold.

Getting to Norway is no longer simple, there are no direct ferries any more. Depending on where you live you would need to cross the Channel, or to Rotterdam or Esbjerg. then it is a fair drive, either via Denmark and a ferry to southern Norway, or the tunnel/bridge to Sweden and hence to Norway, or across Germany and a ferry to Sweden or Denmark. It makes a nice round trip going one way and returning the other!

If you have any particular questions I will try to help. A good list of sites is available on the internet, and the Tourist Board will send you some helpful maps/brochures (order online).

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Our very first caravanning holiday was to Norway for the same reason, the high cost of touring the country by any other alternative. I can only confirm Jennifer's comments. She obviously has more experience as we only went once, although we are planning to go again next year.

The only thing I would like to add is to say that there is little to be gained by going far up north. The most picturesque part of the country are the fjords of the south west. Further north, the country becomes rather barren and there is less to see. Besides, the drive from Trondheim to the North Cape is extremely long, probably a lot further that you would expect. So, if it's your first visit, unless you want to be able to say that you've been to the Arctic Cirle or to the North Cape, I'd stick to the coast between Stavanger and Trondheim.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
I think the length of time you have will decide how far north you go. Last year we spent 2 months doing a "round trip" via Rotterdam, Germany, ferry to Sweden, north up the Baltic, into Finland then Norway.

First east to the Russian border, then west to North Cape and south via Alta, Tromso, Narvik, Lofoten Islands and Bodo. Then all the way down the coast to Trondheim,Kristiansund, Alesund, and into the fjords and mountains north of Bergen .

From Bergen on south via Stavanger, Kristiansand and right round the south coast with a side trip into Telemark, and up to Oslo.

Then south to Goteborg and Malmo, bridge/tunnel to Denmark, south on the islands to Rodby and ferry to Puttgarten in Germany, and finally back to Rotterdam. About 7000 odd miles.

Even then we did not see all we wanted to see!

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for your suggestions/comments. Having done a bit more research myself I agree that the thing to do is to confine oneself to the south west, probably having gone via Holland and Denmark. I think I may pencil this in for the month of September as we try not to go anywhere in the summer holidays.

Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts