Nose Weight

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Clive is the milenco you use the one with 130kg limit or the 400kg, the 400 seems a bit excessive and seems to cost around an extra tenner but looking at the adverts I’m thinking maybe a newer version and the foot seems bigger so could be slightly more stable, I think I’ll order one of the 2, I’ve got by for 15 years with using my common sense in most things but I’m beginning to think maybe I need to look after our latest caravan a bit more as it didn’t come cheap.
We have the 400kg as our nose weight can be up to 150kg although we try to keep it at about 140kg.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Typically, we untrained male humans can dead lift 1.5 x our body weight, and with training more.
So taking a 13 Stone chap, that equates to 82 kg dead lift, hence my suggestion that checking the 70 kgs noseweight BP was looking to do using scales ought to be "doable", by many of us. Even an 11 Stone male individual, ought on that ratio just make it.
If the scales indicate the weight is going to be higher, then you don't have to attempt any more as already you know the hitch is overloaded so needs attention before doing the actual lift itself.

I did qualify that as ever with manual lifts care is needed.

It does depend a lot on how you lift the hitch. I straddle the hitch with my back in an upright stance, only bending my legs to raise the load and in that position there is little to fear when lifting 80kg just for a few seconds.

Reactions: JTQ
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It does depend a lot on how you lift the hitch. I straddle the hitch with my back in an upright stance, only bending my legs to raise the load and in that position there is little to fear when lifting 80kg just for a few seconds.
I'd even trust the "Calibrated" Milenco gauges over manual lifting. Why chance it? most of us have bathroom scales which when placed on teh caravan step with few magazines to get the correct height will do an equally if not better and safer job of measuring the nose load.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
You aren't really 'chancing it' though-it really isn't that critical unless you are at the 2 extremes ie heavy weights in the rear, or vice versa and overload the tow hitch hugely ? Which would probably be very obvious as the car would sag as the van was put on it?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would be doubtful about lifting 80 kg no matter how you do it after having the weight safety training. A lot depends on your physique though.
I tend to accept that being a couple of kg out should not be a problem as if you are only over by that you should get a warning and be told to adjust it. Being 2 kg under should not be a problem.
If you are prosecuted though having a good gauge like the Milenco should give you a good defence. or plea in mitigation. Showing you took reasonable precautions is a defence.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would be doubtful about lifting 80 kg no matter how you do it after having the weight safety training. A lot depends on your physique though.
I tend to accept that being a couple of kg out should not be a problem as if you are only over by that you should get a warning and be told to adjust it. Being 2 kg under should not be a problem.
If you are prosecuted though having a good gauge like the Milenco should give you a good defence. or plea in mitigation. Showing you took reasonable precautions is a defence.
I don't think there is any law that allows prosecution for a nose weight that is too heavy however if you exceed the maximum weight on the rear axle that is an offence.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I really never get excited by being stopped-as above I cannot imagine the police being able to accurately measure it and if you are stopped for being overweight you'll have more than nose weight to worry about. As long as the caravan is stable and not exceeding the towbar limit and that of the car excessively I think you are sorted.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I just got a new Bailey Grande sintra and tow with a hyundai santa fe which ive had 2011 i have a alko jockey wheel with nose weight i load it to 80kg ( which i worked out to ) but it snakes all over the road i cant travel much more than 45mph I have been towing a caravan for years but never had this problem do you think the nose indicator is set wrong? ... ,
Can anyone help sorry to go on but caravaning/towing is not fun anymore

There is definitely a suspension issue or loading issue. I had the dampers & bump stops fail due to age/miles on my car and it was like the rear was on ice over bumps. Made solo driving horrendous.

Are there any loading extremes? Noseweight may be correct but if there is a large weight at the rear of the caravan balancing huge weight at the front, you'll have a pendulum effect on your hands.

I've killed my back hauling a van I forgot to secure with the handbrake, so don't take chances. However, I don't think you're exactly deadlifting 80KGs+ when you lift the hitch. As soon as you lift the the centre of gravity will shift, this is why the set-up of the Jockey Wheel gauge is so complicated. My PT getting me to deadlift a 60KG barbell was no joke!

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts