Not happy at all with Swift & ******** "Customer" service

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone, am i being unreasonable or not.

I purchased a new 2008 Ace Jubilee Courier last May from ********. Great service from them then. Now, i have my 1st warranty issue and i'm not happy at all.

On our second outing in the van this year 3 weeks ago, the bathroom tap broke, water everywhere. Turned water off, called ********. They kindly "lent" me 2 bungs so we could carry on with our weekend away. So after a 50 mile round trip, and 1hr of inputing info into the computer because it hadn't been done last May when i purchased the caravan, we eventually had a nice weekend.

Last Friday, 3 weeks later, i had heard nothing. They have put in for a new tap and front middle window replacement. So, as we're going away again in 3 weeks, i thought i'd better give them a call.

"Oh, it's only been 3 weeks, both jobs have been authorised but we're waiting for parts. That usually takes 4-6 weeks" is what i was told by the guy from ********.

Now, if it was just my wife and i, then we'd manage. But were going to a site with no showers, for a week with our 3 teenage kids, with no shower available in the van, blimey, it's going to stink. I'm sure they wont be to happy with a quick dip in the River Dee 1st thing in the morning.

So, is this the norm, a 6 week wait for small warranty job or is someone taking the pi**.

Any advice welcome, thanks for "listening"

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
We didn't break it, It worked Sat, Sun, Mon. Came home for 3 days. Went away again Friday. Connected up, water coming out the top of the tap. And, no, Tuesday, Wed & Thursday were not cold, not even a ground frost and the system was drained, so nothing had frozen.

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Phillip - yes it has become the norm for the wait for parts delivered from the manufacturers to take upto 8 weeks. It takes time for the manufacturer to process the claim (they are getting slower and slower)then there is the delay for them to despatch the parts out to the dealer.

Dealers cannot possibly keep all the parts in stock and the manufacturers change the spec of the products constantly (how many different taps do Swift have in there current 2009 line up - then of course there is the 2008,2007,2006 models etc etc.

Sound like Discover responded by sorting out some bungs for you to keep going - now its down to the manufacturer to back up there product in the field.

Complain to Peter Smith the owner of Swift he should know how his customers feel.

Stop having a go at the dealer and vent your anger at the manufacturer - they are 80% to blame for there poor back up of the product they make.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What I find trying but understandable is when the dealer has the parts on his accessory shop shelf and will only fit the ones supplied by the manufacturer under a warranty claim

My friend needed new rear lights on his 2 year old Swift as the silvering had gone

They were ordered from Swift but hadn't arrived in time for his service

They were Discovered on the shelf in the accessory shop but the not to be named dealer wouldn't fit them and the van had to be returned when they arrived from Swift(fortunately another job was also pending)

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
This sort of dealy certainly isn't unusual.

I have has two sets of front windows blow on my 2006 Swift Charisma. The first took three months to arrive and the second around ten weeks.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Am i correct in thinking the tap is split on the top and leaks when turned on?

If so and it is plastic try and repair by using a soldering iron to melt the plastic crack/split back together

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Morning Philip,

I am not aware of your specific case, but if you could send me an e-mail, with your van details, we can look into your issues and parts.

Thanks,

Ash

technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
With all the new vans i have had all have had a snagging list, that's the main reason i hang onto my vans for as long as possible, it takes years to sort out the van, to adopt it to how we what it.

I had a new Avondale, less snags than the swift, but still a list 30 items long.

That had a leak on the water pipe connected to the tap, like you say just what you want on holiday, repairing a new van.

But in your case you would think that the dealer would fit a temporary tap, or a lest blank it off so the rest of the system can be used.

Did you make clear to the dealer, you situation, hols/kids etc?

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I have been lucky, the only problems that my new Bailey ranger has had since I got it was a leg that would not come out of the side dinette table (comes out to allow you to make lower bunk), which some WD40 sorted and one slot broke under one front dinette bench (which again I replaced myself to avoid delays etc. However I have to say that in this day and age the sort of waits people are reporting to get repairs done is completely unacceptable. I personally think that British people are far far to willing to wait. For example I know people who are willing to wait weeks and months when they order a new car. When I do so, I will have the car within 3 days or I will go else where (a Ford dealer should have every Ford model in stock, same with caravan dealers for a particular make, and if they don't they should be willing to compensate you by slashing the price)! If people voted with their feet and refused to do business with companies that treat people like this, then you can bet things would change.

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I have been lucky, the only problems that my new Bailey ranger has had since I got it was a leg that would not come out of the side dinette table (comes out to allow you to make lower bunk), which some WD40 sorted and one slot broke under one front dinette bench (which again I replaced myself to avoid delays etc. However I have to say that in this day and age the sort of waits people are reporting to get repairs done is completely unacceptable. I personally think that British people are far far to willing to wait. For example I know people who are willing to wait weeks and months when they order a new car. When I do so, I will have the car within 3 days or I will go else where (a Ford dealer should have every Ford model in stock, same with caravan dealers for a particular make, and if they don't they should be willing to compensate you by slashing the price)! If people voted with their feet and refused to do business with companies that treat people like this, then you can bet things would change.
most dealers try and keep up back up stock of the most popular models and not the worst selling models. But the dealer cannot win in this day and age of the old nutmeg "compensation/trading standards". When they don't have a model in stock then they are in the wrong and when its late its "what are you going to knock off?" and if they do have it in stock, its "not a factory fresh model, so how much are you knocking off if its not new?"

After being in this industry for 19yrs I'm so p****d off with unscrupulous and deceitful customers who will try anything to make their wallets fatter and sod the dealer.

So if your dealer isnt there tomorrow or next year, then there is usually one reason for it, the customer kicking the crap out of them at every opportunity, whether its their fault or not. Then the manufacturers generally don't give a toss either and get to hide behind trading standards as the contract is with the dealer!

This is a very small cottage industry, made worse by the manufacturers who are untouchable, and dealers no matter how hard they try, or how good they are, are simply not supported at all. Then add to the fact that a large percentage of customers have a grudge the minute they walk onto site and are looking for a fight, I would say the industry is doomed. I would say in the next couple of years there would be at least half the number of dealers as there is today, and instead of maybe driving 30 miles for a caravan, you may be driving 130 miles.

Just a thought, but a sobering one at that!

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
most dealers try and keep up back up stock of the most popular models and not the worst selling models. But the dealer cannot win in this day and age of the old nutmeg "compensation/trading standards". When they don't have a model in stock then they are in the wrong and when its late its "what are you going to knock off?" and if they do have it in stock, its "not a factory fresh model, so how much are you knocking off if its not new?"

After being in this industry for 19yrs I'm so p****d off with unscrupulous and deceitful customers who will try anything to make their wallets fatter and sod the dealer.

So if your dealer isnt there tomorrow or next year, then there is usually one reason for it, the customer kicking the crap out of them at every opportunity, whether its their fault or not. Then the manufacturers generally don't give a toss either and get to hide behind trading standards as the contract is with the dealer!

This is a very small cottage industry, made worse by the manufacturers who are untouchable, and dealers no matter how hard they try, or how good they are, are simply not supported at all. Then add to the fact that a large percentage of customers have a grudge the minute they walk onto site and are looking for a fight, I would say the industry is doomed. I would say in the next couple of years there would be at least half the number of dealers as there is today, and instead of maybe driving 30 miles for a caravan, you may be driving 130 miles.

Just a thought, but a sobering one at that!

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hear Hear Caravan Oracle well said.

Manufacturers are more than ever hiding and always put the "blame" on the dealer - they wash there hands and spout the same drivel "Your contract is with the dealer". Yes in law they are right - but what about the responsibilities of the manufacturer !

How many time have you read comments about the length of time it takes to get parts, 8 weeks + is not uncommon and its the poor dealer that gets blasted by the comments on the forums. Then suprise suprise a manufacturer pops up and says email me with your problem and we will see what we can do - well people its the manufacturer who are the problem in the first place and very cleaverly trying to shift the focus, why else do you think they monitor the forums ?

Buyers are getting more demanding and want cheaper deals tyring to play one dealer off against the other then moan when they cant get the back up they think they should get - well if you paid a fair price of the caravan the dealer could invest in his business and provide just that.

Think about that and remember back when you screwed the dealer on that purchase and now complain about lack of after sales support.

A business needs to make a profit in order to reinvest.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
LippyChick,

The Swift Group took the decision to monitor the forums for no other reason than to support our customers and to improve the service and the products that we provide. We are not here marketing or promoting our products we are here taking the criticism, answering the questions and trying to help. This is not hiding!

We manufacture alot of products and we get the vast majority right, but yes unfortunately we do get things wrong from time to time too. But, when we do we will always try and put things right.

It would be very easy for us to distance ourselves from these forums and hide away but thats not the right thing to do.

Best Wishes

Andy Spacey

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I feel this discussion will get out of hand.

However, I have a Swift van and had a problem with a service. The dealer promised to do some work and did not. I contacted Swift who spoke to the dealer and it was sorted.

There will always be problems but apart from Swift and Bailey who appear on these forums no one else does. Thus there is great improvement. Let us not turn this into a heated discussion but if Caravan Oracle has a problem with either of the 2 manufacturers above, then perhaps discussion should take place between them. We the consumer can only benefit.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Swift are porbably in the minority, as a manufacturer who takes seriously a customer concern.

I'm afraid these days in the "blame culture" world we live in, the compnay the takes responsability first to put the customer's problem right and then find a permannent solution, so that the issue has final closure, is a rare site.

Dealers are often treated like mushrooms (fed on s**t and kept in the dark), which doesn't help their situationas, they are the face behind the product who has to face an understandably angry customer who has spent his hard earned thousands on a caravan only to have it let him down.

I'm afraid that if people put as much effort into getting things right, as they put into shovelling blame around, there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Having been an MD in the past I can certainly say that customers will always remember the 1% that goes wrong and never the 99% that goes as planned.

Regards.

Steve L.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the earlier comment; lets keep this discussion constructive and not let it go the same way as many others.

I bought a brand new van last year (not made by the Swift group although they were my second choice van) and have not had a single thing wrong with it. I'm quite worried that due to my inexperience I am missing something that I should be getting fixed.

Actually, when it was supplied aI was given the wrong 'bunk sides'. When I requested replacements I did wait a number of weeks and had to go to France without them.

Whilst we have swift taking part in this discussion in a constructive forum can I just ask a couple of questions. How can it take 4,6 or 8 weeks for delivery of a part? If it is a car part it is very often delivered the very next day to a dealer. Its quite rare for it to take a long time. Is there a system set up for ordering these parts? I can understand that SOMETIMES there may be a supply problem. Surely in the case of a tap (as an example) it could be shipped next day to the dealer, following day given / supplied to teh customer?

Regards

Ian

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the earlier comment; lets keep this discussion constructive and not let it go the same way as many others.

I bought a brand new van last year (not made by the Swift group although they were my second choice van) and have not had a single thing wrong with it. I'm quite worried that due to my inexperience I am missing something that I should be getting fixed.

Actually, when it was supplied aI was given the wrong 'bunk sides'. When I requested replacements I did wait a number of weeks and had to go to France without them.

Whilst we have swift taking part in this discussion in a constructive forum can I just ask a couple of questions. How can it take 4,6 or 8 weeks for delivery of a part? If it is a car part it is very often delivered the very next day to a dealer. Its quite rare for it to take a long time. Is there a system set up for ordering these parts? I can understand that SOMETIMES there may be a supply problem. Surely in the case of a tap (as an example) it could be shipped next day to the dealer, following day given / supplied to teh customer?

Regards

Ian
Hi Ian,

We recieve on average 1500 plus order lines per week for aftersales and warranty parts, typically around 30% of those are in stock available for despatch. Parts that we dont carry in stock have to be ordered (or in the case of some manufactured by us). Many orders we recieve are for sub components (parts of parts)(i.e. the lock off an exterior door or the hinge on an oven which we dont buy as subcomponents as we buy complete doors or ovens, in these cases we have to order these seperately from our suppliers.

At the moment with the exception of Euramax doors and those suppliers that have gone out of business (Thompsons, Frontline, RD, etc) we are fulfilling all orders within 6 weeks with many well before. This is something we are working on trying to improve.

Thanks

Andy

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ian,

We recieve on average 1500 plus order lines per week for aftersales and warranty parts, typically around 30% of those are in stock available for despatch. Parts that we dont carry in stock have to be ordered (or in the case of some manufactured by us). Many orders we recieve are for sub components (parts of parts)(i.e. the lock off an exterior door or the hinge on an oven which we dont buy as subcomponents as we buy complete doors or ovens, in these cases we have to order these seperately from our suppliers.

At the moment with the exception of Euramax doors and those suppliers that have gone out of business (Thompsons, Frontline, RD, etc) we are fulfilling all orders within 6 weeks with many well before. This is something we are working on trying to improve.

Thanks

Andy
Andy I only have praise for SWift.

Last year I bought a 4 year old Ace Supreme that hAD a shower problem, E mailed Kath and aked for the answer to the problem,I certainly didnt expect the part to arrive in the post

I know what caravan to look for next time I change .

Its a shame its only the bad bits that get to the Forum,I guess theres not enough room for the good bits

Regards Sir Roger

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts