Nothing to do with caravanning!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if any forum members can help me with making a decision with regard to replacing my computer? I am current looking at desk top models and HP seem to come out well.

However, HP have now introduced a 'mini' processor and I was wondering if any members had used one of these and what their feelings are about them.

I am torn between going for a standard size (ones normally used in offices) and the mini type.

I also assume that GB memory is better than MB am I correct?

These questions may have many of you laughing in the 'aisles' but, being a relative novice with computers I would really like your advice.

Thanks

Ann

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ann

Can't help with the techie stuff as, like you, I struggle with the basics let alone the technical side, but I can praise the HP product.

Between my wife (senior manager at Barclaycard) and me (Run my own business) and my two children (Both attend a school where laptops for lessons are optional) we have several machines and by far the best is the HP. I brought it cheap from Comet a while ago now (They had a huge pile in the shop at a give away price) and even with every-day use it has never given a single problem.

May 27, 2006
Visit site
HP make some fine PCs,I`ll not argue with that.

My only concern here is that to make a mini system a lot needs to be crammed into the case. Often done by putting more facilities etc onto the motherboard. This means that tho bassically they do the same job as a specific 'add on PC card' they take resourses from the motherboard.

We started off as a family with a bassic PC then started to get more involved and were adding or changing 'bits' as new teckknolegey became available.. a simple job with P&P cards but not possible with 'bits' on the motherboard.

We do run one mini system purely as a backup and bassic office PC but the scope for enhancing/modifying just arnt there.

With a standard case you have so much wider a choice in the future even for bassic things like extra harddrives or memmory.

We NEVER buy a new system now,, just upgrade 'bits' inside the cases.

Hope this help a wee bit

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had two computers over the past few years, an HP and currntly a Packard Bell.

Both computers have, and do, give excellent service,and with some of the deals around right now cannot be beaten for price.

I looked at a self build, but the package option came out far better value, with HPall in one printer/scanner/copier. and 17inch LCD monitor thrown in.

The most important points to look for are processor speed, Hard drive capacity and RAM, the bigger the better

The better processor , if a choice between Intel and AMD Athlon, is the AMD Athlon , as it uses less resources than the Intel.

You are right that GB is bigger than MB.

Personally I would stick with the standard size tower and componenets, as the mini systems are very new and not proven for longevity as of yet.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies it has all been very helpful.

We went out yesterday and bought an 'all singing, all dancing' DT from Comet. After visiting various computer stores we found the 'young techies' advice just went straight over our heads. They seemed to speak a different language! We visited Comet on 3 occasions during our investigations and found the staff were very helpful. One in particular seemed to be v knowledgeable.

We found that it wasn't necessary to throw away our current printer and scanner as they work perfectly well with the setup we bought without having to purchase any new connectors for them!

We are keeping our original laptop as a backup as it seems to work well ............. most of the time!

Ann

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Well done Ann, so often the publics conned into 'free' extras that realy they just dont need.

Some of those techie wiz kids in some of the shops spout such rubbish to get a sale its unbelievable but sounds good and brings home the commision........oh and if the purchase goes pearshaped they suddenly just havnt a clue as what needs fixing/doing

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Popup John

Sadly, we had to return to Comet today. The scanner and printer I had just weren't compatible. Still great service from Comet though, because they did try hard to save me some cash. I managed to get a printer/scanner/copier at a very decent price (

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts