Nottinghamshire roads

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Coming back from derbyshire to Norfolk this week, towing, and must say the state of the Nottinghamshire roads we had to use were appalling, mainly on the A617 through Mansfield and down to Newark, as soon as we entered Lincolnshire the roads were fine.

If you're planning such a trip avoid it at all costs, miles and miles of potholes and bad patching, I had to continually veer from side to side to avoid the worst (when traffic allowed) but still felt really uncomfortable towing. When we got home everything that could move in the van had moved, despite being fine for the previous 400 miles of our trip.

Next time we're avoiding Nottinghamshire, even if it adds time and distance.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Coming back from derbyshire to Norolk this week, towing, and must say the state of the Nottinghamshire roads we had to use were appalling, mainly on the A617 through Mansfield and down to Newark, as soon as we entered Lincolnshire the roads were fine.

If you're planning such a trip avoid it at all costs, miles and miles of potholes and bad patching, I has to continually veer from side to side to avoid the worst (when traffic allowed) but still felt really uncomfortable towing. When we got home everything that could move in the van had moved, despite being fine for the previous 400 miles of our trip.

Next time we're avoiding Nottinghamshire, even if it adds time and distance.
probably best to avoid the East Midlands, Leicestershire roads are in an equally appaling state. Although a Visit to Bournemouth last weekend showd that roads down south are pretty terrible too

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
probably best to avoid the East Midlands, Leicestershire roads are in an equally appaling state. Although a Visit to Bournemouth last weekend showd that roads down south are pretty terrible too
Makes you wonder what the govt is doing with all the tax money they collect from motorists? I guess bigger salaries is a priority? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Does any authority have decent roads? The annual squeeze on local government spending has made cutbacks in maintenance inevitable.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Makes you wonder what the govt is doing with all the tax money they collect from motorists? I guess bigger salaries is a priority? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
It just goes in the general expenditure pot - we're under-spending on so many things like roads, education, health, defence that tax increases look inevitable after the next election regardless of who wins.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It just goes in the general expenditure pot - we're under-spending on so many things like roads, education, health, defence that tax increases look inevitable after the next election regardless of who wins.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you that tax increases will have to happen.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I have to agree with you that tax increases will have to happen.
Taxes increases are already happening as tax thresholds are being frozen to 2028. So some could even find themselves paying a higher tax rate solely because the increase in state pension pushes their income after allowances over the next threshold. Even if they don’t go above the next threshold they will potentially pay more tax as the state and occupational pensions increase.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Does any authority have decent roads? The annual squeeze on local government spending has made cutbacks in maintenance inevitable.
Well we're OK with Norfolk where we live, on our last trip we travelled around or across Gloucestershire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire (not counting those counties we crossed on motorways) without any major issues until we crossed Nottinghamshire.

Not a scientific sample at all but seems it all depends on the local authority.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well we're OK with Norfolk where we live, on our last trip we travelled around or across Gloucestershire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire (not counting those counties we crossed on motorways) without any major issues until we crossed Nottinghamshire.

Not a scientific sample at all but seems it all depends on the local authority.
Certain A roads are under the control of Highways England, but not sure if the LA are contracted to fix potholes for HE.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certain A roads are under the control of Highways England, but not sure if the LA are contracted to fix potholes for HE.
Acronyms again without explanations

I assume LA is local authority, but I'm guessing HE refers to Highway England but I'm not certain?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I assume LA is local authority, but I'm guessing HE refers to Highway England but I'm not certain?
I am really surprised that you couldn’t link Highways England in the first line with HE a few words later. So I’m not accepting your criticism as the Forum isn’t regulated fir grammar and English Language.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Highways England is now named National Highways - but doesn't cover Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland!

Transport Scotland, Transport for Wales and Department for Infrastructure are the equivalents outside England but have much wider remits than just roads.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If they did not spend so much money on rebranding from Highways Agency, to Highways England and then National Highways the road system under their care may have been improved or at least better maintained. Quite frankly none of the organisations names do anything for the vast majority of road user. National Highways is a gross misrepresentation. Heaven knows what an overseas visitor thinks. The name should be qualified “ National Highways (England)” although I guess it will change if a new CEO arrives.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The last two years our trips to Herefordshire and Shropshire we experienced the roads and pot holes ever. Easter cost me a new tyre on the Wyoming. But no chance of specifically saying which pot hole caused the issue.
Why are acronyms being questioned? He who cannot be named posted an inaccurate acronym! Please boys get a life and stop being pedantic😎 We’re all caravanning friends. Or are we🤔

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My grandson has now had 6 tyres replaced since January because of road damage. They are BMW run flats and not cheap, nor readily obtained in some areas. Fortunately he took out insurance for tyre/wheel damage but expects the premium to rocket next year, or even to be rejected fir insurance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The last two years our trips to Herefordshire and Shropshire we experienced the roads and pot holes ever. Easter cost me a new tyre on the Wyoming. But no chance of specifically saying which pot hole caused the issue.
Why are acronyms being questioned? He who cannot Bev named posted an inaccurate acronym! Please boys get a life and stop being pedantic😎 We’re all caravanning friends. Or are we🤔
I recall the roads in Shropshire when we pitched next to you at Wheathills in Spring 2018. They were appallingly bad. In fact I did think the road conditions could have been a contributory factor in my failed axle.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My grandson has now had 6 tyres replaced since January because of road damage. They are BMW run flats and not cheap, nor readily obtained in some areas. Fortunately he took out insurance for tyre/wheel damage but expects the premium to rocket next year, or even to be rejected fir insurance.
When we got the Jeep we were offered a package which included tyre insurance however we declined their kind offer however I would think on a car with run flats almost essential.

TRENDING THREADS