Now i have finish towing with my Tiguan looking for a new car in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been thinking of downsizing we could have a hoist fitted if we go for one of the cars listed but i do like a sliding door it would have easier access for taking my newish Apex Rapid mobility scooter/ fishing gear and it would suit my needs .
1/ Nissan Qashqai Hybrid
2/ Ford Tourneo Connect titanium auto
3/ Citroen e Berlingo electric Auto (but now worried about the price of energy)
4/ Peugeot Rifter 1.5 HDI 130 Automatic
I will have a look at them and take them all out for a test drive

Can you suggest any other cars that might be suitable but i am 6ft 5in tall and i need to get from my wheelchair into the driving seat any information i would appreciate

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been thinking of downsizing we could have a hoist fitted if we go for one of the cars listed but i do like a sliding door it would have easier access for taking my newish Apex Rapid mobility scooter/ fishing gear and it would suit my needs .
1/ Nissan Qashqai Hybrid
2/ Ford Tourneo Connect titanium auto
3/ Citroen e Berlingo electric Auto (but now worried about the price of energy)
4/ Peugeot Rifter 1.5 HDI 130 Automatic
I will have a look at them and take them all out for a test drive

Can you suggest any other cars that might be suitable but i am 6ft 5in tall and i need to get from my wheelchair into the driving seat any information i would appreciate
Here are some suggestions, although you seem to have covered most. Good luck in your search. We have pretty well focussed on what will replace our Subaru Forester. Surprised at the Qashqai in your list as doesn’t that open up a whole raft of other similar options that do not have sliding doors.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have a Qashqai. It certainly would accommodate your height but there's no sliding door.

I had difficulty transfering my father from his wheelchair into the passenger seat...not impossible but tricky. I don't think he'd ever manage the drivers seat.

Although it has a reasonable size boot it would just about take his wheelchair when folded down.

The 1.5dci I have is very economical, logging 75mpg on a long run through the Highlands.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Here are some suggestions, although you seem to have covered most. Good luck in your search. We have pretty well focussed on what will replace our Subaru Forester. Surprised at the Qashqai in your list as doesn’t that open up a whole raft of other similar options that do not have sliding doors.

Hi Clive made a list of which cars i have miss (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Qashqai. It certainly would accommodate your height but there's no sliding door.

I had difficulty transfering my father from his wheelchair into the passenger seat...not impossible but tricky. I don't think he'd ever manage the drivers seat.

Although it has a reasonable size boot it would just about take his wheelchair when folded down.

The 1.5dci I have is very economical, logging 75mpg on a long run through the Highlands.
Hi Sam if i did choose the qashqai i was thinking of putting a hoist into the boot so it could lift my wheelchair/ mobility scooter in .

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I doubt you'd be able to fit a hoist and find room in the boot for that and a wheelchair/mobility scooter. Maybe a small folding mobility would fit but still not sure about the hoist.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you'd be able to fit a hoist and find room in the boot for that and a wheelchair/mobility scooter. Maybe a small folding mobility would fit but still not sure about the hoist.
Hi Sam i am looking at the Qashqai Mild Hybrid Auto i thought it was a bit longer

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think maybe your best option is to visit a dealer that is part of the Motability scheme.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think maybe your best option is to visit a dealer that is part of the Motability scheme.

My wheelchair and mobility scooter x2 have paid cash and my present car is 4 years + old . next door neighbour got a motability car and she still waiting for her new car to come she said to me there a delay looking at six months .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wheelchair and mobility scooter x2 have paid cash and my present car is 4 years + old . next door neighbour got a motability car and she still waiting for her new car to come she said to me there a delay looking at six months .
We’ve been looking at some Kia’s and new Sorentos are only available for summer 2023. The upgraded XCeed will only be manual gearbox for the foreseeable future. The lack of processing chips and the priority of hybrid and EV is driving manufacturing schedules. Similar with Hyundai too.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Went to a Peugeot dealer yesterday to discuss the car i am interested in he got one in manual but i would prefer a auto to test drive so he going let me know when he got one in stock.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BB . Next door ordered a new Kia Picanto in February. No sign of it in the foreseeable future.
Considering your disability I doubt a manual is a good idea.
Can you stretch to say a larger MPV? Many have the sliding door and a hoist is possible. "
Prior to me knee surgery I used a Pride gogo traveller plus. It pulled apart in less than 60 seconds and was easy to lift the bits into the boot. Maybe a rethink? There again if your VW suits you why not go for the latest model?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
BB . Next door ordered a new Kia Picanto in February. No sign of it in the foreseeable future.
Considering your disability I doubt a manual is a good idea.
Can you stretch to say a larger MPV? Many have the sliding door and a hoist is possible. "
Prior to me knee surgery I used a Pride gogo traveller plus. It pulled apart in less than 60 seconds and was easy to lift the bits into the boot. Maybe a rethink? There again if your VW suits you why not go for the latest model?
Dusty Dog , I think BB has bought one of the Pride Chariots recently. I think maybe one of the Fords or a Kia with the electric sliding door could intersest you BB.

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dusty Dog , I think BB has bought one of the Pride Chariots recently. I think maybe one of the Fords or a Kia with the electric sliding door could intersest you BB.
His buggy looks like mine. Dismantles . Have we missed something? Why a hoist?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Went to a Peugeot dealer yesterday to discuss the car i am interested in he got one in manual but i would prefer a auto to test drive so he going let me know when he got one in stock.
BB here’s a review of the new Tourneo Connect which is based on a VW Caddy.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes got a newish Pride Apex Rapid travel mobility scooter and it great so far like the one below .

Attachments

• 6.-RAPID.jpg
    6.-RAPID.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 8
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes got a newish Pride Apex Rapid travel mobility scooter and it great so far like the one below .

My scooter is very similar, it takes up most of the V70’s boot. If I was going for a smaller car I would need to try out loading it first. Being van like, I imagine that the Ford Connect would be really good and would definitely be worth a look at.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have seen some people using ramps to to get the buggy into the car. Would that method be easier than a hoist? The only thing I haven’t seen on Clive‘s link is the weight. Any ideas? Otherwise it looks a desirable piece of kit.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have seen some people using ramps to to get the buggy into the car. Would that method be easier than a hoist? The only thing I haven’t seen on Clive‘s link is the weight. Any ideas? Otherwise it looks a desirable piece of kit.
Hi Dusty when i sold my electric wheelchair a lady came in a old type Citroen picasso i thought how was she going get that into the boot came out with some ramps she could not use her right arm because of a stroke . anyway she put them down put the wheelchair to the ramps and she attach like a pulley system i was amazed she pulled it in .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My scooter is very similar, it takes up most of the V70’s boot. If I was going for a smaller car I would need to try out loading it first. Being van like, I imagine that the Ford Connect would be really good and would definitely be worth a look at.

John
Hi i would need to check the Ford Connect with my mobility scooter and see if it a good fit

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

That Connect has a low rear entrance and would be a good candidate for a ramp if the dimension to the back seat was sufficient with the rear seats removed. It is possible to reverse a scooter in while standing to one side.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts