OAP Driving tests

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Jon, but Matthew gets the cigar.

I train and test people on allsorts of equipment. Im qualified from electric pallet trucks, right through fork lifts, cranes and up to plant equipment, excavators, rough terrains etc etc. And everything inbetween. Now when training people, there is 2 ways for them to go in my centre. Either RTITB trained/examined, or NPORS.(theres a couple more, but these are main), these are the governing bodies who we train and test to. Now if you go RTITB route, you get trained and have a test lasting up to 45 minutes at the end of your training. NPORS is a continuous assessment of tasks set, over the same timescale.

I have had to issue licences to people who i wouldn't let operate an electric toothbrush, never mind an electric fork lift, because they are unbelievably dangerous. BUT, on the day of test, they "turn it on" and pass. And it makes me sick to my back teeth as i have no objective input except a written record of training. They pass, or fail.

NPORS is different, it's a weekly assessment and they must pass ALL tasks, usually 7., to MY satisfaction to gain said licence.

So yes there should be a re-test on all motor vehicles, but it should be a 3 day or 5 day course of assessment.

It would stop people from having a bad day and failing. I also think eople with licences would be more in demand, especially as firms would not want the cost of continually replacing them. Could be a good thing for the wage packet.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
My job is selling cars and over the last 10 years i've sat with a lot of people on test drives.The older generation get in ,check their mirrors and get themselves comfy.On the drive they stick to the speed limits and determine if the car will suit all their needs.The younger generation seldom check anything and just want to see 'what the car can do'.I know there are some unsafe older drivers around(i've just stopped my father driving ,at the age of 79)but believe my there are a lot more young ones! On the subject of re tests, I recently sold a car to a driving instructor,while driving ,so she could check her duel controls ,she critisized my driving for the whole journey,RE TESTS ..I HOPE NOT!!!!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I have not read such cant and hipocricy for a long time the only semblence of thought on this topic comes from matthews coments

Just think of it all you briliant drivers [ so your 3 year test comes round and you know if you fail your job is on the line ,will you sleep well and wake refreshed the next morning ready to take your test ???].I THINK NOT.But just think again if you do pass you dont need to worry again for 3 years .

I agree that drivers who cause accidents should be punished ,and any driver who is banned should have to re,take the test,but to make this mandatory to all drivers is not practical.In any case this will never happen ,no political party would introduce such a bill.So direct your campaign to something positive like attending and passing caravan towing courses before you can tow on the roads .Coljac
When a member of your family is wiped out by someone who CLEARLY should not be driving then a re-test is far too little and far far too late.They should be picked up at regular GP checks, this should be on a gp,s checklist, "do you drive?"

These people that kill due to the incapacity to drive should of been spotted a long time off, granted the fit but reckless may bypass this procedure but at least the threat is

reduced,.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
the police shud be doing a lot mor the they are doing . becase a lot of peopl get a way with fins. it is not just over 7oyrs or under 30yrs or truckers or BUSDIVERS or taxs or weman driver. ther is a lot of bad diver out ther. no mater whot they are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts