Observations from my 2020 "Staycation"

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually i would agree otherclive a dash cam would be a handy item to own when you see caravan outfits going faster then you on roads

What's the difference between a towed outfit going faster than your towed outfit, compared to a solo vehicle going faster than your solo vehicle? We aren't the police.

Most drivers don't regard it as speeding if they stay within the ACPO/NPCC guidelines of 10% +1mph - so a caravanner could be doing 67 mph true speed, anywhere from 67-74 mph on his speedometer.

Caravan forums often debate the accuracy or otherwise of the 85/100% towing ratios - we all accept that disaster doesn't happen just because an outfit is 1% over - in the same way, disaster doesn't happen at 1 mph over the speed limit.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What's the difference between a towed outfit going faster than your towed outfit, compared to a solo vehicle going faster than your solo vehicle? We aren't the police.

Most drivers don't regard it as speeding if they stay within the ACPO/NPCC guidelines of 10% +1mph - so a caravanner could be doing 67 mph true speed, anywhere from 67-74 mph on his speedometer.

Caravan forums often debate the accuracy or otherwise of the 85/100% towing ratios - we all accept that disaster doesn't happen just because an outfit is 1% over - in the same way, disaster doesn't happen at 1 mph over the speed limit.

The motorway speed limit for caravan is 60mph, not 67mph whatever ACPO may say. Using my satnav i can monitor my speed very accurately. I am aware that most car satnavs do nor read out speed but unless the driver know that their 66mph is really 60mph theres no excuse for seeing that figure displayed on the speedo.when towing. Perhaps I'm not amongst "most drivers"

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I was once asked to join our local speed watch group. I declined. I just don’t want to be come unpopular with friends and neighbours. The dash cam is imo a brilliant piece of kit , invaluable in evidence following an accident. If I did start reporting the speedsters I’d spend most of my time reporting, giving evidence and probably dragged into Court. No thanks, that’s why we have speed cameras and police🤪🤪.
In the event of snaking most on here know the correct method of safely recovering without harm. Even above the speed limit . However I have serious doubts a newcomer towing at 60+ will have the same knowledge or experience and will end in tears😥😥

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Hi RogerL I don"t go over the limit i stick at 58mph on the motorways and 48mph on single roads i pass my test at 17 years old not had one speeding ticket in my life .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The motorway speed limit for caravan is 60mph, not 67mph whatever ACPO may say. Using my satnav i can monitor my speed very accurately. I am aware that most car satnavs do nor read out speed but unless the driver know that their 66mph is really 60mph theres no excuse for seeing that figure displayed on the speedo.when towing. Perhaps I'm not amongst "most drivers"
Do you take the same view of drivers who exceed 70 mph when solo?

In the UK, engineers set speed limits as the speed that 80% of drivers would do without any restrictions - but of course politicians sometimes reduce them for political purposes - it would be interesting to see where that 80% is among caravanners.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you take the same view of drivers who exceed 70 mph when solo?

In the UK, engineers set speed limits as the speed that 80% of drivers would do without any restrictions - but of course politicians sometimes reduce them for political purposes - it would be interesting to see where that 80% is among caravanners.
It doesn't really get me too concerned at what speed drivers are passing me when solo, why should it? As long as I can maintain my concentration and awarenesses of what is going on around me I just get on with the driving.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It doesn't really get me too concerned at what speed drivers are passing me when solo, why should it? As long as I can maintain my concentration and awarenesses of what is going on around me I just get on with the driving.

That's part of the point I was trying to make - we aren't the police, if someone wants to go faster then I'm not bothered as long as it doesn't impact on my safety.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When I was undergoing my period of instruction before taking my HGV test and the instructor was confident that I could safely drive the lorry we'd be trundling along and he'd ask "What's the speed limit for this road?"
When I correctly replied "40 miles an hour" he'd say "Why aren't we doing it then?" and this was a good way to drive home the message about making normal progress which was a test pass or fail.
Since then I've always tried to make normal progress whatever vehicle I happen to be driving, subject to safety considerations.
If a caravanner or someone towing a trailer passes me at 70+ mph on the motorway I'm glad they're in front of me where I can see them.
Lifes too short for me to want to act as a police spy with my dashcam, the government should employ more traffic cops or pay me their wages if they want me to report other drivers.
The speed limit isn't a target, drive to what you can see and within your capabilities and let the loonies get on with it, they'll be the ones who don't keep everything shiny side up.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I hope that readers have spotted the “ spoof” in my two links a I wouldn’t wasn’t to be as Parksy says “ a police spy”
We can spot a bad guy a mile away.
He'll be the large guy with a white cat who says "Gut Evenink, Meester Bond" when Meester Bond is about to have anything but a good evening with a giant spinning circular saw moving gradually closer to his Wotsits.
Perhaps here on Practical Caravan forum we could revive a branch of the old DDR VolksPolitzei?
The best dashcam video which depicts a road loony in action wins a night out in the pub with Gabsgrandad.
He knows all the naughty jokes that we don't share here 😁🤫

Reactions: Mel and otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How do us “experts” get involved in speeding trivia?
The fact is as tuggers we are probably the few who understand the physics of towing and the consequences of going too fast. I’m with Parksy. Let the idiot racers get in front and leave you well way from them. I have a dash cam but I will not use it to report naughty boys. Can’t be bothered .
Driving solo is of course totally different . Most modern cars are capable of 110 mph +. We all know you will get nicked and get banned for a large period of time.Towing at 55-60 on the speedo is comfortable, safe ,economic and stress free. What’s wrong with that.😇😇😇

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You'd have to be a special kind of idiot to take risks with a car that won't be cheap with a few thousand quid worth of caravan on the back.
Imagine the effect on your insurance.
The effect on your holiday plans
The unbridled wrath of Herself if you are at fault, and in her eyes you will be!
It doesn't bear thinking about

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have a dash cam but I will not use it to report naughty boys. Can’t be bothered .

I have dash cams front and back. I have never made a report, but definitely would if I spotted clearly dangerous driving.
Today I witnessed real stupidity. I was towing on the A38 dual carriageway. Not too busy. I was doing 58, I was passed by a twin-cab Nissan Who was doing at least 70. Behind him was a newish Range Rover. The Nissan stayed in lane 2 as there was slower traffic ahead. The RR ’had‘ to pass him in lane 1. I slowed up just in case there was an incident but the Nissan driver made it clear he was aware of the idiot.

Is that worth reporting? I would post a link to the video but not so easy from the caravan, maybe later.

I have a Next Base cam in the front, they have a portal in which you can forward such videos and they pass them onto the authorities. I would not want to block the system up with trivia but some incidents cross the line and I feel that is the time to do our civic duty.

John

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Sad comment. Have faith. They are on record of requesting such cooperation. Let’s not be defeatist!

John

Defeatist, no, realist, YES.

I have a couple of friends and neighbours who hold senior positions within the Police force, serving different constabularies, and we talk regularly.

There simply aren’t enough resources for them to attend murder scenes, violent assaults, aggravated robberies and burglaries and major RTA’s.

I too really wish it wasn’t the case, but I’m afraid a report of a car undertaking in lane one, even if it was known to be stolen, would be closed before you’d even ended the phone call, with the standard conclusion of “No further action”.

Whilst it would be logged by the operator, it wouldn’t even be communicated to the front line !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have dash cams front and back. I have never made a report, but definitely would if I spotted clearly dangerous driving.
Today I witnessed real stupidity. I was towing on the A38 dual carriageway. Not too busy. I was doing 58, I was passed by a twin-cab Nissan Who was doing at least 70. Behind him was a newish Range Rover. The Nissan stayed in lane 2 as there was slower traffic ahead. The RR ’had‘ to pass him in lane 1. I slowed up just in case there was an incident but the Nissan driver made it clear he was aware of the idiot.

Is that worth reporting? I would post a link to the video but not so easy from the caravan, maybe later.

I have a Next Base cam in the front, they have a portal in which you can forward such videos and they pass them onto the authorities. I would not want to block the system up with trivia but some incidents cross the line and I feel that is the time to do our civic duty.

John

I just wonder where people would draw the line in reporting illegal acts. Do we really want to go down path of becoming a nation of snoopers. What are the boundaries of “ civic duty”.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Defeatist, no, realist, YES.

I have a couple of friends and neighbours who hold senior positions within the Police force, serving different constabularies, and we talk regularly.

There simply aren’t enough resources for them to attend murder scenes, violent assaults, aggravated robberies and burglaries and major RTA’s.

I too really wish it wasn’t the case, but I’m afraid a report of a car undertaking in lane one, even if it was known to be stolen, would be closed before you’d even ended the phone call, with the standard conclusion of “No further action”.

Whilst it would be logged by the operator, it wouldn’t even be communicated to the front line !

I fully understand we’re you are coming from. But by defeatist I simply mean that by ‘not bothering‘ no matter how serious (or not) you think it will be taken. Is not, in my opinion, a sensible or logical option.

I just wonder where people would draw the line in reporting illegal acts. Do we really want to go down path of becoming a nation of snoopers. What are the boundaries of “ civic duty”.

Which is in fact my question.

John

Reactions: otherclive

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When an incident is serious to warrant a police investigation the police usually appeal for dash cam footage from motorists who were in the area when the incident happened.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When an incident is serious to warrant a police investigation the police usually appeal for dash cam footage from motorists who were in the area when the incident happened.

Yes, but dangerous, perhaps drunken or drugged driving does not always lead to an incident. If it was under RIDDOR you are obliged to record near misses.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
RIDDOR applies primarily to workplace related incidents.
If the police want your dashcam footage they'll ask for it.

Did you miss the ‘if it was under‘,in my sentence? I am very well aware of what RIDDOR IS.

The police DO ask for it, you are actively encouraged to forward dash cam footage. As to what realistic boundaries are, or whether they have the staff to deal with it or what is morally correct, are, in my opinion, the bigger questions.

More police requester here.

John

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts