Observations from my 2020 "Staycation"

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have a dash cam (front only) and have pulled the footage from that day and will review it (and upload for educational purposes should it be as dramatic as it felt) but in my experience, the dash cam somewhat tempers your memory of the event. A close call often looks tame or a non-incident on camera. (Except for the guy who aquaplaned and spun his BMW in front of me)

I've had a few incidents over the years where I've pulled the footage for my personal use, but have never used it to get a driver in trouble. The sole event which sticks out in my mind would have needed a rear camera's perspective; I beeped a driver (of a prestige German car) about to drive into me, they were in the wrong lane at a roundabout attempting to turn right, this sent them into a rage and they flashed and beeped and tailgated until the next island. My front camera picked up them being in the wrong, but there was no evidence of the road rage event.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Spot on Custard. Both my local dealers have virtually zero used caravans for sale...
Strange very few newcomers have been on here or the other caravan forums?

Seems to be a shortage of Gas Bottles too... New bottle agreements for everyone!

When I was new to caravanning I scoured the web for towing information (Caravan Chronicles blog had loads of guides) read PC magazine and may have lurked on the forum but never posted. I didn't really post until I got my Sprite and did "proper" caravanning.

The speed limit isn't a target, drive to what you can see and within your capabilities and let the loonies get on with it, they'll be the ones who don't keep everything shiny side up.

I try to stick to the speed limit where it is safe (I've seen and experienced aquaplaning) but I hate it when I'm being tailgated by drivers who want to exceed the limit, so I won't do the same to slower drivers. I will overtake them when it's safe/legal, especially if they are doing say, 35mph in a 60 limit in the summer on a straight road.

I have also been (accidentally) on the wrong side of the limit; I realised I was towing at 70mph after a traffic jam cleared; I had sped up with the traffic and got carried away. Nobody is perfect!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Totally agree custard, all too easy to exceed the limit with our current outfit, good job we have limiter button and cruise control.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with you CustardAvenger it to easy to exceed the limit but my Volkswagen Tiguan got a Limiter Button and cruise control when i towing on motorways i put it in on 58mph . so far it has worked .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
So here is the Dashcam footage of the Buccaneer over-take (Skip to 1:12).

I left in the previous minute of me over-taking a Car Transporter and a slow car (with myriad bumper stickers on their braking/driving that seemingly cut up the Transporter) to demonstrate the relative speed and speed of cars overtaking.

They also have the Aerial facing the wrong way.

View: https://youtu.be/5M6bIRbjKIk

I removed the audio for copyrighted music playing but the conversation was about how the car with stickers cut up the transporter (Notice the truck brakes) I then see the speed at which the Merc is approaching and draw my wife's attention to it; 20 seconds later we are in a 50mph roadwork zone which the Merc adheres to, but resumes previous speed afterwards.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Well you certainly can't accuse them of causing a slow moving traffic jam! Wasn't us we tow with a Navara, honest m'lud!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks like transporter braked as he was approaching the smaller car in lane 1 and to have pulled out in front of you would be unsafe.

Merc looked nice and stable though. Doesn’t dash cam record and display
speed?

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For all we know is that you could have been plodding along at 40mph holding up the traffic which then makes the Buccaneer look as if it is passing at warp speed. To get the correct perspective one would need to see your speed. :)

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For all we know is that you could have been plodding along at 40mph holding up the traffic which then makes the Buccaneer look as if it is passing at warp speed. To get the correct perspective one would need to see your speed. :)
We could count the white lines versus time elapsed !!!😂

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Mine does record speed, time and location. This can be turned off. This function when used in support of an accident is very useful, but. If you had a no fault a accident and you used the footage to support your case, if you were just slightly exceeding the speed limit, this could go against you.

I chose to record the info. I rarely exceed the limit but must admit I struggle with the lower ones. And I I did need to submit it I would blur the incriminating evidence out.

I think Custards video shows very little and was probably much different live.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine does record speed, time and location. This can be turned off. This function when used in support of an accident is very useful, but. If you had a no fault a accident and you used the footage to support your case, if you were just slightly exceeding the speed limit, this could go against you.

I chose to record the info. I rarely exceed the limit but must admit I struggle with the lower ones. And I I did need to submit it I would blur the incriminating evidence out.

I think Custards video shows very little and was probably much different live.

John
The only time I exceed the 60mph when towing on a motorway is when overtaking otherwise my cruise control is set to 58mph.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The only time I exceed the 60mph when towing on a motorway is when overtaking otherwise my cruise control is set to 58mph.

I do similar. Even solo I am a good boy. Which was not true years ago. But I try not to hold up those who want to pass.

Its the slow speeds, solo and towing, I find it very easy to stray past.

John

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Looks like transporter braked as he was approaching the smaller car in lane 1 and to have pulled out in front of you would be unsafe.

Merc looked nice and stable though. Doesn’t dash cam record and display
speed?

It does but the app to control it stopped working (It has no screen) when I changed phone, but it records ok so had no need to fix it.

The Car was behind the Transporter, overtook then cut it up.

I was at a GPS speed of 60.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It does but the app to control it stopped working (It has no screen) when I changed phone, but it records ok so had no need to fix it.

The Car was behind the Transporter, overtook then cut it up.

I was at a GPS speed of 60.
Doesn't look like a bad piece "cutting up" to me . The small car overtook the transporter and went in the transporter did not show any brake lights at that time. Brake lights came on when the transporter driver realised that he could not move into lane 2 as you were approaching. But by then the small car was pulling away from the transporter. At least the transporter did carry out the instantaneous 3M where by some wave of the wand it was suddenly all transposed sideways into lane 2.

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Not just the rules (e.g. different speed limits for towing), but the guidance as well (e.g. correct nose weights, correct attachment of the breakaway cable etc).

The trouble is, if no-one has got hold of these guys at the at the start of their caravanning career, to encourage them to find out the things they need to know, then it becomes more and more likely that no-one will. If someone starts caravanning and doesn't see the need to research to find out if there are things they need to know - things they haven't even thought of - then after their first trip, when nothing has gone wrong, that opinion is re-inforced. And more so after each subsequent trip.
We will be new caravanners from next week when we pick it up. I have spent the last 2 weeks researching, reading forums like this and found the information invaluable. I for one will heed the rules, stay within the law and tow safely, there’s no other sensible way with loads like ours. Then there’s the ones with no sense......

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Going back a few years now, and no dash cams or come to think of it, not many mobile phones either....

M5 just hitting Bristol going north... I'm middle lane a caravan hammers past me on the outside lane... I still do not know how the driver managed the next bit...

Traffic is reasonably heavy, the caravan had over taken me on the 3 stripe exit distance marker... At the 2 strip the caravan was still on the outside lane, at the1 strip marker still on the outside lane, at this point he went cross all lanes of triffic to exit...

As I say, I still don't know how he (an assumption) managed in such a short distance to go from the outside lane, across two lanes to exit the motorway at full pelt, without being hit or jackknifing or snaking the caravan....

I'm a wimp when it comes to overtaking with the caravan hitched, this is to be avoided unless I'm overtaking a park vehicle....

But I am pleased to say, being caught out by my satnav, which took me through Shrewbury, due to road works, it wasn't a case of straight through the main street, but taken off the main road, around and down a side road if that little feat was bad enough, coming back out on to the main road, I had to get the car and caravan onto the narrow high street with bollards on each side of the side road! without hitting a shop window etc... I managed it then some muppet in a BMW was parked on the double yellows, so a very tight fit, between shop windows etc. With a police car waiting at the top of the road :rolleyes:

Horror turned to relief when I got up to the police car, to see two coopers grinning like two cheshire cats giving me the thumps up

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going back a few years now, and no dash cams or come to think of it, not many mobile phones either....

M5 just hitting Bristol going north... I'm middle lane a caravan hammers past me on the outside lane... I still do not know how the driver managed the next bit...

Traffic is reasonably heavy, the caravan had over taken me on the 3 stripe exit distance marker... At the 2 strip the caravan was still on the outside lane, at the1 strip marker still on the outside lane, at this point he went cross all lanes of triffic to exit...

As I say, I still don't know how he (an assumption) managed in such a short distance to go from the outside lane, across two lanes to exit the motorway at full pelt, without being hit or jackknifing or snaking the caravan....

I'm a wimp when it comes to overtaking with the caravan hitched, this is to be avoided unless I'm overtaking a park vehicle....

But I am pleased to say, being caught out by my satnav, which took me through Shrewbury, due to road works, it wasn't a case of straight through the main street, but taken off the main road, around and down a side road if that little feat was bad enough, coming back out on to the main road, I had to get the car and caravan onto the narrow high street with bollards on each side of the side road! without hitting a shop window etc... I managed it then some muppet in a BMW was parked on the double yellows, so a very tight fit, between shop windows etc. With a police car waiting at the top of the road :rolleyes:

Horror turned to relief when I got up to the police car, to see two coopers grinning like two cheshire cats giving me the thumps up
Had my satnav do similar in Burford. I’d set it to shortest distance as opposed to quickest. Luckily no caravan in tow

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
My pet hate which we seem to experience on every trip is the person who can't bear to be behind a caravan and tries to squeeze past as two lanes reduces to one, inevitably needing me to brake to let them in. Then they sit in front of you for the next few miles until they turn off.

We also saw numerous high speed caravans on our staycation last month, zooming past us at what seemed like 70+ (we tend to stick at 58) but no dramatic incidents with it.

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
It was our first tow back from where the caravan was kept last week in Weston s Mare. We bought it as a private sale from a friend. Driving it back to Manchester we mostly kept on the inside lane of the motorway in convoy with the trucks 55mph ish, only passing the really slow trucks. The roads are getting pretty lawless these days, bring back the old jam butty cars I say

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS