Oh what a day! :(

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
This hasn’t been a good day at all, read on….

Just a brief synopsis before we start.

A couple of weeks ago we picked up our new van, some concern about the windy conditions on the day but in the end it towed well and we put it into our storage site. A site that frankly was a last resort after searching for ages to find somewhere with a slot for a twin axle, within about 30 miles of home anyway.

Now back to today.

The plan was for me to take the van to Brighton Caravan Club site for a couple of days, just me, the rest of the family getting on with work and school, so that I could try everything out and test out the awning etc.
On Saturday after reading on the Caravan Club website that we should inform our car insurance that we intend to tow, we emailed them for their records.

Issue 1.

The insurance company email this morning just as I am about to head to the storage site to say they do not cover us for towing and this is not something they cover in any policy!
After a panic phone call it turns out the do cover us for third-party which is what I thought anyway so panic over.

Issue 2.

Get to the storage site, wind up steadies and remove security devices and then try to fit the tow bar. No joy! Tried everything, even reading the manual but just couldn’t get it to stay in place. So off I go to the nearest caravan dealer (about 10 miles away) and ask if I am doing something silly. They have a look and the can’t get it to work either but a friendly passer by says he has a similar tow bar and after about 20 minutes of fiddling we get it fixed in place!

Issue 3.

Finally get back to the storage site and get everything set, mirrors are on and the lights are all checked and working.

So slowly pull off from my hard standing slot and start to move over the grass. Unfortunately, as I move deeper into the field it becomes more and more boggy until I get completely stuck. The Q5 has four-wheel drive but no low range and so all I do is dig four big holes.

Unhitch the van but the car is still stuck. My dad is around to help so I fully unload the boot of the Q5 to get to the towing eye and hitch it to the front, find a long length of rope and my dad in his big Kia eventually manages to pull me out. Did try to pull out with the van attached but it wouldn’t budge. Once back on to solid ground I tried attaching the rope to the hitch and pulling it out that way but the jockey wheel just dug itself in so no joy.
So there you have it. The caravan is stuck in the middle of a very boggy field and I am back home typing this on my computer.

What a very disappointing day. :(

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both. At least the van is secure where it is so at the end of the day it isn't a complete disaster.

The CC were understanding as to why I had to cancel too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh Ricky, I feel so sorry for you, at least it was a dry day for it all to happen on, dare I ask if you fitted the Alko wheel lock and the tow hitch, before you left. Keep us informed on your progress on recovery. And keep smiling.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What a pi $$er Ricky.
Not the end of the world and you won't be the first to have had similar troubles.
Have you planned your next move to get the caravan unstuck?
I have used the caravan mover and our wooden plank levelers to get out of a muddy field. Don't forget some timbers for the jockey wheel.
Good luck and keep smiling :)

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Oh Ricky, I feel so sorry for you, at least it was a dry day for it all to happen on, dare I ask if you fitted the Alko wheel lock and the tow hitch, before you left. Keep us informed on your progress on recovery. And keep smiling.

Yep, all secured. Going to look at moving at the weekend.

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've had a similar problem with being stuck, when I kept the van on my back lawn, I ended up buying a bigger jockey wheel with wide tyre to spread the weight a bit more, as it's alot ow weight over a small contact area.

Also found some wide scaffold planks and some old carpet helped to get it off the lawn and moving.

Failing that my friend and I lofted the van by the hitch and pulled the van ourselves.

Good luck and chin up!

Matt

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and support. Sometimes a problem shared and all that.

I am going to go back at the weekend, the weather is looking dry for the rest of the week so it may have improved a little.
Also going to take my Nissan Navara which has low range etc. so should be a lot better than using the Q5.
If that doesn't work I might just have to move all the weight to the back of the van to get the nose up and then try the long rope again.

Cheers,

Ricky

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywod, I like your positive thought, BUT, A friend of mine pitched his van, single axle on a muddy pitch, for a couple of weeks, in Winter, he then had a very, very cold spell and the van froze into the mud, motor movers, 4wds we couldnt move it, had to wait for the thaw two weeks later.
But Ricky the weather will be good for you, you will look back and laugh about this.
Good luck.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Sproket, I purchased a twin wheel jockey wheel and what the blurb does not say is that the twin wheels may not fit into the housing when lifted up so you have to take off one of the wheels each time you travel and put it back on again when you arrive.
I went back to a single solid wheel for my T/A

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
FrintonMike said:
Sproket, I purchased a twin wheel jockey wheel and what the blurb does not say is that the twin wheels may not fit into the housing when lifted up so you have to take off one of the wheels each time you travel and put it back on again when you arrive.
I went back to a single solid wheel for my T/A

I thought that i had posted this from my phone with the other video at dinner time, :(

Anyway it doesn't look to be to complicated to remove one of the wheels, i suppose clearance on some A frames could be an issue for stowage, even the one shown could still go up some more.

https://youtu.be/I6DEnKkY7QY

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ricky, sucking eggs and all that, be carefull when using ropes pulling something out, when they snap, its one hell of a whip lash, you can't use the snatch method, as you can with cars as I dont think the attaching points for strops would be strong enough. Nose up, jockey wheel on planks and slow and steady.
Take care and post the photos,
Hutch.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
we got stuck getting the van out of storage last year. The owners were out, so no tractor. Luckily, they have some long term residents with 4x4's, who towed us out. We gave him a tenner for his trouble. This year, we'll phone in advance...

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
crazyguider said:
This year, we'll phone in advance...

The funny thing is I did text them a couple of days before to tell them my intentions and they were fine. They hadn't realised you how boggy it was.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ricky, what was the outcome, is the van still axle deep in mud, or have you streched the chassie, pulling it out ?

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Ricky, what was the outcome, is the van still axle deep in mud, or have you streched the chassie, pulling it out ?

Hi Hutch,
It is still stuck in the mud.

We popped down to have a look at the weekend and the ground is still too boggy to use the Q5. I might pop down next weekend but take my Nissan Navara instead though I'm not in any real desperate hurry because we aren't going away in the van until April 4th.

Cheers,

Ricky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts