OMG,, the charges

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi all
Hi all

Just looked at my statement from Nationwide...........AaaaaaghWe went to Calais before xmas, had a few euros but got extra out of machine and made 2 purchases with debit card... £4.50 for one transaction...... Ok where are you getting your money and purchases from and with whom are you using, so I don't have to pay these high charges...I will use either credit or debit not fused

smiley

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We did the same in Bruges, but we realised that whilst we were being charged we were also getting up to eight cents more to the pound than the tourist rate. The rate at Bureau de Change was 1.13 to the pound, where we got 1.177, 1.191 and even 1.218 to the pound instead! However, it isn't like it used to be when all these transactions were free - and like you we paid £4.05 transaction fees on a small parking charge when we didn't have change, and the machine wouldn't accept a 20 euro note! We won't be doing that again!
In future we may still use our Nationwide card, but draw out cash in just one or two transactions during the holiday and then use that to pay for everything. We'll have to find even more, and better hidey-holes to keep it out of harms way!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
So really, you were still better off using your Nationwide card than you would be buying the currency at 1.13 euros to the pound.
200 euros at 1.13 = £176.99 pounds (tourist rate), where 200 euros at 1.19 = £168.08 + £4.50 charges is still £172.58 - so you saved £4.51 using your Nationwide card. Even if the rate was lower at 1.17 (£170.94 + £4.50 charges = £175.44) to the pound you'd still be saving a small amount on your 200 euro withdrawal compared to the tourist exchange rate which applies at Bureaus de Change.
I've used the figures which applied when we were in Bruges. However, we've also found the rate on our Nationwide card is invariably the Bank rate rather than the tourist rate, so usually a similar difference between the two rates.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Nationwide rates were 1.17 to the £ at Fraglais they were doing 1.16 and Auchan had a rate of 1.17.

So nationwide were not so wonderful.. I think we would have been better off paying in £ sterling this trip.. Do they still charge if you pay by sterling with your card??

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Do you mean that Auchan were doing 'exchange' - as in changing pounds to euros? I must admit I've never seen that offered in a supermarket - but then we don't shop in Calais, where I suppose they have a lot of British shoppers. Was that commission/fee free too? If so then that's a pretty good rate - but in Bruges the highest we could see was 1.13 - and one place was 1.07! Hence we stuck to our card and obviously there it was a better rate for us.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I doubt it - more that they give you the option of being charged in Sterling or Euros - and you should always opt for Euros as the bulk transfer rate at which the CC will be charged is always better than any shop rate.
I note here some people talking about Nationwide and charges. Note that this is for Nationwide banking customers - those of us just using a Nationwide CC only are still not paying charges. I think Santander and (Lloyds-TSB? - or was it Halifax) are now also doing zero charge cards.
And finally, why is no-one here talking about withdrawing cash with their ordinary bank card backed by Cirrus or Maestro? The limit last year was still the equivalent of the UK limit which is usually £250 - in our case €300 - but in the past it has been as high as €400. We pay for all fuel and sometimes larger shoppings with the N/W CC and withdraw €300 at a time perhaps every 5-6 days or so. Last September we were charged about £3.50 per withdrawl (First Direct) and got the advantage of the bulk transfer rate again - which others have said can be several cents better. That rate will also always better the rate available (plus charges) in the UK.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Would you believe it we have N/W C/Cards and didn't use them.. Yes, the auchan rate is for paying in GB the choice on the card reader.. If you put your N/W or Debit Card in the machine on the check outs you have the choice of payment in all stores. 1 for Euros and 2 for GB I think!!!!

We have always used our Debit card in the cashpoints in france etc but we are not with the charges now.. I have an appointment with Santandar on Tuesday about the bank Acc let you know how I get on...

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Generally then if you have both a Nationwide Debit & Credit card is it best to whack shopping,fuel, site fees etc. (if you're not using Camping Cheques) on the credit card and try to manage with as little cash as possible?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts