On board water tank

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For the first time we have bought a caravan with an onboard water tank, and I brought the handbooks home to familiarise before handover, any questions and all that.

In all honesty, when you read the process for filling the onboard, and switching over between one system or t'other, I cant truly see any point in having an onboard, or am I missing something. It seems more of a faff than a benefit.

I was hoping too that the flush fill for the loo would have been developed but, no, its still the same faff filling it by hand from outside, how does everyone else do this. I must look a right banana standing there with my little plastic jug.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
And the comments would be

"That aint gonna grow" B)

Why dont they just make them fill from the main water system and add pink from above.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Because it is not a great idea to have any connection between a water supply which may provide drinking water and one which serves a toilet.
In domestic service, drinking water tap is usually the first on the incoming main and most toilet tanks are supplied for water at low pressure from tanks in the roof.

I know there are exceptions to this rule - having had same in a previous house - but good practice to avoid it if possible..

On the general topic of on-board tanks I agree they are generally more trouble than they are worth, cleaning, need to drain before travelling etc. But a small OBT can be quite useful for overnight, particularly in cold weather.

For some years I have fitted my vans with such in the form of a removable 20 litre container either under the fixed bed , in the wardrobe or in the front locker with suitable pump connection such that hot and cold water are available overnight or for a lunch stop without having to fill the Aquaroll. With a submersible pump this requires fitting another pump connection socket, but with an on-board pump just requires and alternative line form front locker which can be made/broken quickly.

OH has been very happy to have this facility,so that's good too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
Because it is not a great idea to have any connection between a water supply which may provide drinking water and one which serves a toilet.
In domestic service, drinking water tap is usually the first on the incoming main and most toilet tanks are supplied for water at low pressure from tanks in the roof.

I know there are exceptions to this rule - having had same in a previous house - but good practice to avoid it if possible..

On the general topic of on-board tanks I agree they are generally more trouble than they are worth, cleaning, need to drain before travelling etc. But a small OBT can be quite useful for overnight, particularly in cold weather.

For some years I have fitted my vans with such in the form of a removable 20 litre container either under the fixed bed , in the wardrobe or in the front locker with suitable pump connection such that hot and cold water are available overnight or for a lunch stop without having to fill the Aquaroll. With a submersible pump this requires fitting another pump connection socket, but with an on-board pump just requires and alternative line form front locker which can be made/broken quickly.

OH has been very happy to have this facility,so that's good too.

I’ve never had a house where the toilet fills from a tank in the roof or anywhere else. My current houses, daughters, son, grandson and fathers houses all fill direct from the mains. Can’t recall anyone suffering tummy problems from the domestic plumbing in houses ranging from 1960s through to 2018.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two of our home toilets fill direct from the mains, the third via the loft tank. The latter is slow to fill.
The Caravan Thetford is easy to fill plus we add the pink stuff to the flush tank which experience tells me stops the black algae.
Our 40 litre on board fresh water tank is an essential if you tour all year. Also the shower pressure from the on board is superior to the aquaroll feed for obvious reasons, gravity etc.
Draining is easy easy.
Cleaning , sterilising the same as the rest of the system. No problem.
A worthwhile accessory imo.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thingy said:
Our 40 litre on board fresh water tank is an essential if you tour all year.

OK, but why? What am i missing?
Nothing!
I had one on my old Swift Corniche. There was no drain fitted, had to run taps to empty, used it a couple of times, then didn't bother, to much fussing about.
Watering Can to fill flush tank, mines 7lts fits nicely in the front locker.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Thingy, if you know anyone who drives HGV or works at haulage yard they use plastic containers which are probably 10 litres and have a long nozzle similar to a petrol container and are used to top up the ADBLUE, there are always loads laying around as they are disposable containers and make great filler for the toilet flush, I fill mine then keep a full one next to filler point to top up as required.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For grey water I used 15 litre container as I found the waste master too bulky. So for some years I have used this grey water container to top up the flush tank, and yes it is cleaned out well before I use it for loo flush. But at times I have also used the 10 litre water container that i use to periodically top up the aqua roll. And no we haven't had any bad stomachs either. Must have a good spectrum of microflora down there. :whistle:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Beehpee said:
Hi Thingy, if you know anyone who drives HGV or works at haulage yard they use plastic containers which are probably 10 litres and have a long nozzle similar to a petrol container and are used to top up the ADBLUE, there are always loads laying around as they are disposable containers and make great filler for the toilet flush, I fill mine then keep a full one next to filler point to top up as required.
BP

Chanced upon a few discarded empty ones of those 2 weeks ago Beehpee.

They come with a (not very durable) flexy filler pipe, and like you I thought ideal as a top up container for the potty flush.

I liberated one to save it from being disposed of in a landfill site :p .

Yes,pretty handy item, I am in the process of making sure it is flushed free from any potential contaminants that may affect toilet seals etc.

Good call BP, :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Am I right then in thinking I can fill this thing on arrival, switch to the more traditional via the internal selector, using the onboard as a sort of reserve for those occasions when you run out late at night, using the switch again of course.

And of course not forgetting to drain it on departure?

As for the loo, i guess i could use a cheap plastic fuel can.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my first post i had completely forgotten that many caravanners will add some sterilising alcohol to the water they drink anyway.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
RayS said:
In my first post i had completely forgotten that many caravanners will add some sterilising alcohol to the water they drink anyway.

Just stripped all the beds cleaned all the floors cleaned the bathroom cleaned all the internal Windows was going to wash it but the heavens have opened! not away till I don't know when next time I might leave outside wash for a bit ! Middle / end sept? but as it happened I have just put my aqua roll in the back garden filled and put 2 Milton tablets in it and will leave it there overnight .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craig, Aqua roll say us only bi carbonate of soda. But you know best. :eek:hmy: .
We are the same cant get away until the Woosie fest mid september.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Craig, Aqua roll say us only bi carbonate of soda. But you know best. :eek:hmy: .
We are the same cant get away until the Woosie fest mid september.
Hutch.
Daughter is 38, son 35. We religiously cleaned all their drinking vessels with Milton Solutions. They are still here doing very well :cheer:
For the last 40 years I have sterilised my entire water system on numerous caravans with Milton. Still here :evil:
Best advice from an old lag. Flush your entire system with Milton diluted as directed. Then flush with fresh water. Do not leave more than 10 minutes in the hot tank eg Truma Ultrastore or similar as the Milton may corrode the stainless steel inner surfaces.
We still drink wate4 from the caravan taps via the aquaroll or internal tank , no problems throughout Europe.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just winding up the youngster, I also use Milton, in the same way as yourself. I tend to only sterilize the system once a year, and we dont use the caravan filter, enjoy next week away. :p

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Same here, used Milton for 40 years , in the van, and a few years before that on the babes gear, (and we're all still here) don't very often drink water neat, only in tea etc. but if I/we do have no qualms about using the van water direct. Buy water!!?? Huh! And i'm not from N. of the border!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........trust me if you had ever been ill through drinking dodgy water you would be only too glad to pay for pure water :eek:hmy:

We always buy water in Spain having learnt the hard way........pure bottled water is very cheap there and can be bought in large containers.

We are safe in the UK as we have very high quality reliable mains supplies :)

BTW.........big fan of an on board water tank......have travelled thousands of miles with 10 litres in mine so that water is available from all taps during rest stops.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Thingy,
We bought a van that had an board tank fitted,first thing we did was take the tank out and used the space for something else,using the external aquarole only.Couldn't see any reason for it's function.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts