onboard water tanks

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
On Baileys that I have had, you fill the Aquaroll and then use the onboard pump to fill the internal tank. Simple and it means that you can use either the onboard tank or the Aquaroll.

I certainly wouldn't do without an onboard tank now.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I have never understood why all caravans don't have on board water tanks.
My Swift did not have one but was the first mod I made to it soon after purchase!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I've never been an advocate of onboard tanks as I don't see the need for them. I had one on an Avondale Avocet. As per the previous post it was filled from the aquaroll. The toilet flush also worked from the fresh water, so to use the toilet water had to be pumped from the external tank to the internal tank and them pumped to flush the loo. What a waste.

On any internal system (unless on a super pitch) you still have to fill up the external tank first. All this 'extra water' that people say is good still goes to the grey waste container and has to be emptied. For those who say there is extra water for long showers - is there somebody outside to empty the grey waste when it is filled from the first supply tank, or do you just let it overflow?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
The toilet flush also worked from the fresh water, so to use the toilet water had to be pumped from the external tank to the internal tank and them pumped to flush the loo. What a waste.
All this 'extra water' that people say is good still goes to the grey waste container and has to be emptied. For those who say there is extra water for long showers - is there somebody outside to empty the grey waste when it is filled from the first supply tank, or do you just let it overflow?

I've never had the toilet flush working from the fresh water tank - is this still allowed?

Also, what is this talk of "extra water" in the grey waste tank? What is the difference between using 2 Aquarolls and 1 Aquaroll plus an onboard tank? I've lost track of the number of times on a cold wet winter evening where we've both had showers and I haven't had to go out and fill the outside tank because it's run out. The onboard tank also doesn't (normally) freeze up in the winter.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
An onboard water tank is a very useful desirable piece of equipment.
During winter touring freezing up is unlikely.
As the water pump has the water head higher a greater pressure is delivered to the taps and shower.
The only toilets which use the tank for the flush seem to be on motor homes.
Never had one 9n any of my caravans over last 30 years that didn't have r heir own flush tank.
I agree about the grey waste. But surely the user determines the amount of grey waste not an onboard tank :huh:

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My Abbey Spectrum has an onboard water tank which I utilise for stays when we use the caravan shower.

To fill the tank, the tank feed valve must be open, this is located in the cold water (blue) feed pipe immediately after the hot water heater take-off. There is a switch on the main control panel which operates the external (Aquaroll) fill pump without requiring a sink tap to be operated. The tank full indication from outside the 'van is the overflow pipe discharging underneath. There is a tank contents gauge incorporated with the battery voltage meter.

To save having to run inside to switch the pump off when filling, I have fitted a pump isolator switch adjacent to the Aquaroll fill pump baonnet connector.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The on board tank I had on an old Swift was a pain as the pump air locked constantly. Sine ten I have fitted my own on board tanks in the form of a 20 or 40 litre gerry can (plastic) usually in the bottom of the wardrobe but always near the axle, plus a pump socket and the necessary plumbing mods. Not difficultparticularly with the newer 12mm push in fittings. Fill the tank from 8 litre containers (ex mineral water) using funnel if necessary. Parallel connect 12v if taps have mico switches, separate supply if modern Whale socket. Need to take care if filter fitted not to back flush it.

Very handy for overnights in cold weather, or for short stays.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
PaulT said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
The toilet flush also worked from the fresh water, so to use the toilet water had to be pumped from the external tank to the internal tank and them pumped to flush the loo. What a waste.
All this 'extra water' that people say is good still goes to the grey waste container and has to be emptied. For those who say there is extra water for long showers - is there somebody outside to empty the grey waste when it is filled from the first supply tank, or do you just let it overflow?

I've never had the toilet flush working from the fresh water tank - is this still allowed?

Yep have on my 2012 Buccaneer , should have a non return valve in the pipework

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
PaulT said:
Also, what is this talk of "extra water" in the grey waste tank? What is the difference between using 2 Aquarolls and 1 Aquaroll plus an onboard tank? I've lost track of the number of times on a cold wet winter evening where we've both had showers and I haven't had to go out and fill the outside tank because it's run out.

Some people say they use BOTH external and internal tanks for a shower. The grey waste tank only has the capacity to hold water from one or the other of the feed tanks. If both feed tanks are used in one session then who empties the waste tank part way through? :S

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi King WC

Whilst it is true you can use BOTH the onboard tank and the aquaroll they cannot be used together. On the Wyoming there are two three way valves which allow feed water to be taken from either tank dependent upon position.
The point being made was that you can continue showering with the aquaroll if the onboard runs out.
BUT it goes without saying we all empty the waste master as required..
Showering is more of a splash and dash rather a 10 minute deluge .

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
My old Swift had an "onboard" tank slung underneath the floor. It was filled with a plug in submersible pump ( I had to renew the two pin sockets which had corroded) The flush tank for the toilet was also filled using a submersible pump. I never really liked the system as it held almost two aquarolls which had still had to be brought to the caravan each time. You have to remember to drain the tank before moving as the weight easily overloads the payload limit.
My new(er) van just had a submersible pump dropped into the aquaroll, I have a better idea when the water is running low an prefer this system.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
On the subject of emptying the grey waste tank, and at the risk of the sky falling on me, could I ask how many people actually empty their tank down the drain? I used to until I observed that I was in the minority. Now I put the tank under the 'van but leave an outlet undone. The tank mainly fills but overflows onto the ground. Periodically, I empty what is in the tank on a convenient plant. I certainly wouldn't contemplate going outside during a shower (either of myself or of rain) in order to empty the tank!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PaulT said:
On the subject of emptying the grey waste tank, and at the risk of the sky falling on me, could I ask how many people actually empty their tank down the drain? I used to until I observed that I was in the minority. Now I put the tank under the 'van but leave an outlet undone. The tank mainly fills but overflows onto the ground. Periodically, I empty what is in the tank on a convenient plant. I certainly wouldn't contemplate going outside during a shower (either of myself or of rain) in order to empty the tank!

I don't know what kind of sites you use but leaving the waste water to overflow onto the pitch Is a disgusting thing to do.

Waste disposal points are there for a reason, to dispose of grey water !!!!!!!!!

The only time waste water should be emptied anywhere other than the provided drains is on some CL's when the owner requests that such waste water is spread around trees or into a drainage ditch.

Don't forget that once you vacate a pitch, someone else will be arriving , usually within an hour. How would YOU feel if YOU arrived on a sodden pitch because the previous person was too lazy to do the right thing.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Point taken Mod. All my caravanning is done in France/Spain/Portugal where a shortage of water is a real problem. Most of the sites encourage the recycling of water and are on sandy soils where the overflow disapears almost immediately. I wouldn't do it in the UK where conditions are different. My question was really directed to find out what other people did.

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
We have an on board water tank and it was on our Gouda visit that I used it for the first time. Ours is controlled via valve taps which you can control to fill it from the external and or have the taps feed from onboard or external tanks.

Our flush system is via its own tank that is filled via an external door above the thetford cassette.

If there are some vans that feed the fresh water to the toilet flush I guess there must be a non return valve somewhere to stop the flush fluid from mixing with the fresh water. I much prefer separate fresh and grey water systems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I could barely believe what I have just read!

How difficult is it to manage your waste water properly? It just reads like sheer lazyness, anti-social and hazardous. Grey water contains soaps detergents, and biological matter which is not natural for the environment.

Even considering the comments regarding emptying onto sand it really is not acceptable.

Make the effort and find and use the waste disposal points to keep the sites as you would like to find them.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " If there are some vans that feed the fresh water to the toilet flush I guess there must be a non return valve somewhere to stop the flush fluid from mixing with the fresh water."

The toilets which are fed direct from the aquaroll or on board tank are operated by a solenoid valve where the pump normally sits on separate flush tank models.
You cannot use additive in direct fed toilet systems, which makes the adding of Pink or similar to other models pointless, which it is as all the Pink does is create a breeding ground for algae.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear Paul
I thought your sky would fall in.
Even the Victorian's recognised the health implications of safe disposal of grey and brown waste.
Please empty the waste master correctly and help keep our sites clean and healthy.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Oh dear Paul
I thought your sky would fall in.
Even the Victorian's recognised the health implications of safe disposal of grey and brown waste.
Please empty the waste master correctly and help keep our sites clean and healthy.

Thanks Dustydog - I have to say that there are far more unsavoury things that I find on a campsite. Like not cleaning up the brown waste area after use (that is disgusting!!). I might have not made my opinion clear in my OP. I always wash up in the washing up areas so no food waste/fat etc goes down the drain. In my house all the bathroom grey waste goes into a holding tank and is used to water the garden. All my bathroom products are environmentally friendly and bio degradeable and the same products are used in the caravan. Even I am not heathen enough to empty washing up water (even though the washing up liquid is environmentally friendly) on the pitch. I thought the thread was covering showering and the possibilty of the wastemaster overflowing. I was only trying to make the point that, as far as I was concerned, it's no big deal if it does overflow.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PaulT said:
...................... I was only trying to make the point that, as far as I was concerned, it's no big deal if it does overflow.

Have to disagree!
It is up to you (to some extent ) what you do at home, but in a public area proper care an waste management should always be the aim even if apparently others don't have the same high standards. By not managing your own waste you are compounding the problem and setting a bad example which other might see and think its all right to follow.
Lead by example.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually, on the continent, it's often the case that there is no dedicated grey water waste point (at least, not that I've been able to find). If you're strong enough you can lift the full waste master and use the chemical emptying point although I can see this being frowned upon if the site owner has to pay for his septic tank to be emptied more often. I've seen people using the drain below the drinking water points, not the healthiest of options. I've now resorted to a bucket under the waste outlets which I empty at the dishwashing area whilst doing the chores. Realistically it means on some sites you have little option but to use the site's facilities which sometimes means paying extra for a shower. :angry:

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes the toilets on some elddis motorhomes are still fed from the fresh water tank so to help keep odours down I used to mix pink in
a little bottle and pour it in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts