one shot nuts

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just had our compass corona 630 serviced i was amazed to stand and watch as it took just over 1 hr for a chassis service and gob smacked that i needed 4 replacement one shot nuts at a cost of £7.50p each WHAT a rip off.

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Val,

Its the nut that holds the wheel bearing in place and pre loads it.

According to alko you can only use them once.

Funny really because my old van had a BPW chassis and you could re-use them.

Nice work if you can get it.

Just another RIP OFF.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
A One Shot Nut holds the brake drum on and keeps the torque on the wheel bearing and as its name suggests should only be used once. It has to be removed to take the brake drum off to check the brake shoes during the service.

You should have this done at every service and quality NCC approved workshops would do this.

If you haven't had this done then what type of service have you been paying for and what is the condition of your brakes - a visual inspection of the brake shoes and it's operating mechanism can only determine this by removing the brake drum.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
A One Shot Nut holds the brake drum on and keeps the torque on the wheel bearing and as its name suggests should only be used once. It has to be removed to take the brake drum off to check the brake shoes during the service.

You should have this done at every service and quality NCC approved workshops would do this.

If you haven't had this done then what type of service have you been paying for and what is the condition of your brakes - a visual inspection of the brake shoes and it's operating mechanism can only determine this by removing the brake drum.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
"You should have this done at every service and quality NCC approved workshops would do this"

Not according to the Alko website, the linings may be inspected without removing the hubs.

A car service doesn't require removing the hubs every service, and cars do a greater mileage than caravans - it's just another money making rip-off to do it every year, the extra time plus the two nuts.

My old caravan had castelated nuts and split pins.
No worries Vernon - you can always instruct the workshop not to take the drums off and save a bit of cash.

What price safety Vernon to youself, your family and other road users ?

Hope you didn't reuse the split pins to save your cash ?

Do you change your tyres every five years - did you know that tyres have a life span of five years regardless of how much wear they have ?

Should your wheel come of by either not having your nuts checked or reusing them how would you stand with your insurance claim.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
No worries Vernon - you can always instruct the workshop not to take the drums off and save a bit of cash.

What price safety Vernon to youself, your family and other road users ?

Hope you didn't reuse the split pins to save your cash ?

Do you change your tyres every five years - did you know that tyres have a life span of five years regardless of how much wear they have ?

Should your wheel come of by either not having your nuts checked or reusing them how would you stand with your insurance claim.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Jack,

I appreciate what you are saying, and I am not critising you, but I am puzzled why all these 'safety' concerns are not refected in the motor industry. They don't remove the hubs every year. I haven't heard any motorist voicing concern over the age of his tyres. How long will a space saver tyre spend in the boot of a car? the life of the car I should imagine, and yet no motoring correspondence suggests changing those after 5 years, and what about all the thousands of cars in storage at the moment, are the manufactures going to change the tyres on those?

I watched people in dealers looking at caravans, they look at the tyres but I 've never seen anyone get down and check the dates on them, and when someones buys a secondhand caravan, do they factor in the cost of a set of tyres?

Incidently Glossop charged

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
am i to understand that if i get a puncture and use the spare tyre i cannot use the the wheel nuts to put the spare back on or should i carry a spare set of wheel nuts

avril

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

Tyres on a car are very unlikely to get to five years old without being worn to less than minimum tread depth. I'd say too that a caravan tyre does a lot of standing around for months on end - something most car tyres do not have to endure. Sitting in one position is not good for a tyre at all.

And Avril, it's not the wheel nuts that need replacing each time, but the nut which holds the wheel hub (the bit the wheel bolts to) onto the chassis. It's a vital bit of safety kit, but

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Before I retired, I had at least 10 customers whose cars had not done 10,000 miles in 5 years or more.So I suspect that there are a large number of vehicles running around on tyres considerably older than 5 years.

Steve W

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
I am sure you are right there are many people driving around on tyres older that 5 years old - but tyres will degrade due to exposure to sunlight, contaminates etc.

Caravan tyres spend the vast majority of their time stood in one spot, so one part of the side wall is under constant deflection, the result is the beading will weaken and over time can fail. It has been recommended by the tyre manufacturers that 5 years is the maximum age for safety.

Good caravan dealers will fit a new set of tyres to all secondhand they sell if the current tyres are approaching the end of their safety life and if they are not they are playing with your life. Good dealers will ask the question at time of valuing your part exhange "when did you last replace your tyres ?"

If they are approaching the 5 year stage they will value your caravan to include fitting a new set. And if they haven't asked you that question you should question their abillity and professionaism - what else are they not doing ! Are they gas tesing the fridge, water heater and fire with a gas analyser to determine the levels of CO2 being produced - to ensure these appliances are burning correctly and within set Health & Safety legislation and providing you with a print out ?

NCC approved workshops should be doing this.

Check your tyres - you will find a date stamp on one side, e.g.

0409 this means manufatured April 2009.

Cheap servicing can put your life at risk.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was going to stay out of this topic but there are some aspects which need clearing up.

First is the cost of One Shot Nuts.

A fair price to pay is

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have no engineering experience whatsoever and gladly pay for my one-shot nuts every year for my family's safety. It's quite a small amount relatively in a

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
When we had the old system, using a nut and cotter pin, i use to repack the wheel bearings every year, at the same time i would inspect the brakes etc.

I see know advantage with one shot nuts, i consider them to be waste full use of the worlds natural resoures.

G

I am not trying to advocate the one shot nut scenario. But the old system of cotter pins also had problems. Frequently the pin was rusted and could not be easily removed. How many times did you end up forcing the nut off over the pin and then drilling out the hole again? Also tightening the nut was variable. You tightened beyond the hole and then relaxed the nut back to allow the cotter pin to be inserted. Sometimes that was enough to give slack in the hub. At least the one shot nut is torque tightened to the exact figure and then stays exactly there. I also suggest that compared to the amount of waste that is thrown away from all sorts of industries, the loss of a couple of nuts every year or so, is not going to make the difference

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Scotch lad

obviously your idea of maintenance is different to mine.

I always greased the nut and split pin, and didn't go daft bending the split pin over either. So no never had a problem.

Agree the waste with the nuts is minor, but its still a waste.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
am i to understand that if i get a puncture and use the spare tyre i cannot use the the wheel nuts to put the spare back on or should i carry a spare set of wheel nuts

avril

Hi Avril,

Just to add to Nigels answer.

I have a Burstner caravan fitted with alloy wheels. I have been issued separate wheelnuts for if I should have to change to my spare which is steel.

I was informed that the taper on the shoulder of the nuts are different for alloy wheels and steel wheels.

British built vans do not come with wheelnuts for the spare wheel, so if you use the origional nuts for the alloy wheels on the steel wheel you risk damaging the wheel / wheelnut and the wheel coming loose.

TRENDING THREADS