Onsite TV service

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I think the OP needs to make it clear whether it is the TV signal or the wifi that is bad. That way they can get the correct advice. At the moment according to the OP they are been given mostly the incorrect advice.

Unless you have never stayed on a site that has a TV distribution system you would know it is TV signals he is talking about.
Plus wi-fi is never run down cables around a site - too difficult, to expensive, and takes too long.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unless you have never stayed on a site that has a TV distribution system you would know it is TV signals he is talking about.
Plus wi-fi is never run down cables around a site - too difficult, to expensive, and takes too long.
In their first post they said wifi was bad. Many Smart Tvs these days have wifi connection. It had to be assumed that the OP was being given the incorrect advice when posters were mentioning cabling if wifi was bad.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
In their first post they said wifi was bad. Many Smart Tvs these days have wifi connection. It had to be assumed that the OP was being given the incorrect advice when posters were mentioning cabling if wifi was bad.

Yes but - as I said in an earlier post - it is a big, long, and expensive job to install cabling for broadband and specifically the OP said WI-FI where the W stands for WIRELESS hence discussion of wired connections must by definition be related to off-air TV?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I think the OP needs to make it clear whether it is the TV signal or the wifi that is bad. That way they can get the correct advice. At the moment according to the OP they are been given mostly the incorrect advice.
The Wi-Fi is terrible, and using the aerial on the roof is terrible also.

This is why they have aerial connections on the mains power points, have the connections now all in but still plodding away trying to get a channel list appearing 😂

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
No, it's going from an internal location to an outside location and is a piece of cable with a connector on either end. The internal end will likely be presented next to the aerial amp to which it is connected. To use a signal from the power pillar just disconnect the external cable from the aerial amp and disconnect the cable on the aerial amp that feeds the TV socket inside the van. Connect them together. Plug in your TV in the 'normal' way.
Outside make up a piece of cable - usually about 25m - with the appropriate plugs on either end so that it will plug into the pillar and to the caravan. Plug in, retune your TV and all should work. Note that there may be frequency changes on the site system such that the incoming signal from the pillar may not be on the same channels as you have received off air.
You can buy the necessary connectors and cable from Toolstation or Screwfix considerably cheaper than from a DIY shed. The 'standard' TV connector shown in #11 are known as F-type, that in #13/2 are called Belling-Lee (for which this needs plug to mate with.)

Ok so connecting the pillar Coaxial connection to the coupling then the Sat cable to the input at the battery box won’t work?

D

Deleted member 23278

Yes it will, Your Challenger is wired the same as my Conqueror and the external input will feed the TV socket as per page 144 of the handbook. Look at the schematic and reconnect (if required) to supply the other aerial socket(s).

D

Deleted member 23278

Ah, yes, Blackpool. I lived there soon after I was born (in St Annes) and - subsequently - Kirkham, Warton, Preston, Freckleton and Kirkham (again) . The TV will be fine when it's all connected as per spec.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Saxo
The short lead from the back of theTV needs to be connected to the satellite connection next to the 240v socket, so you need screw on fixing at one end and normal push in on other end

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hello Saxo
The short lead from the back of theTV needs to be connected to the satellite connection next to the 240v socket, so you need screw on fixing at one end and normal push in on other end
Hi bud

Yep got that covered now also, should be arriving from Amazon tomorrow. Wish I’d paid more time looking, but it’s coming none the less 🫣

IMG_3784.jpeg

Reactions: woodsieboy
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
This is the first weekend…

We’re on a jolly for 2 weeks, plenty of time :)

Just realised the rear room TV connections is only a 12v and coaxial, there is no RF 🤦🏻‍♂️

Odd why Swift would leave that out when factory fitting the Caravan 🤔

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
This is the first weekend…

We’re on a jolly for 2 weeks, plenty of time :)

Just realised the rear room TV connections is only a 12v and coaxial, there is no RF 🤦🏻‍♂️

Odd why Swift would leave that out when factory fitting the Caravan 🤔
Er, "12V and coaxial , there is no RF". Me no understand. The coax socket IS the TV feed once the other end of the cable is connected in the right place?
Enlighten please.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hmm maybe I’m mixing outputs wrong?

In the front of the caravan we have an output for Coaxial cable and Sat (RF) cable, on the other side is USB and 12V power

In the back of the caravan we have an output for 12V and just coaxial, which means the input from the battery box (Sat RF) only connects to the front room output point.

Front:
IMG_3787.jpeg

Back:
IMG_3788.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would have thought that in the battery box there would have been two connections, one for RF and the other for a satellite connection, but probably on newer caravans.

Previously we have disconnected the feed from the status aerial into the power supply and connected the RF from the battery locker in its place however this meant a loose cable under the front bunks. Signal then throughout the caravan.

You could do the same with the satellite connection, but you will probably need to remove the connection from the satellite signal splitter, add a cable to go to the power splitter by the status aerial for signal all round the caravan.

I appreciate that the above is probably goobly **** to you, but it worked for us for many years.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We have a 2023 Swift Challenger 670 SE you’d have thought there would be lots of connections everywhere :unsure::D
Don't you believe it! Anything that saves a halfpenny in product unit price or even a penny in fitting costs and the caravan industry will snatch your arm off.
In respect of the back socket, just change the aerial plate. The chrome retention plate usually just prises off and the socket plate is held by two screws. You can buy the plate with one F-type and one Belling-Lee from any caravan parts supplier. I {think} the manufacturer might be Berker. These sockets may be an F-type and a Belling-Lee on the user side but the rear is usually F-type on both.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don't you believe it! Anything that saves a halfpenny in product unit price or even a penny in fitting costs and the caravan industry will snatch your arm off.
In respect of the back socket, just change the aerial plate. The chrome retention plate usually just prises off and the socket plate is held by two screws. You can buy the plate with one F-type and one Belling-Lee from any caravan parts supplier. I {think} the manufacturer might be Berker. These sockets may be an F-type and a Belling-Lee on the user side but the rear is usually F-type on both.
I would have thought that the satellite in feed and the RF feed have their own splitters therefore changing the the back socket will not make a difference in the signal is coming in through the socket in the battery box as there may not be any signal to that socket?

Normally satellite and RF feeds are separate like in our caravan however I have no knowledge of the layout in the OP's caravan.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Just curious, with Caravan Satellite dishes etc

Can anyone recommend what you have purchased, and do they really work to receive digital TV?

If so, what all accessories would I need to purchase?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts