Opinions on these models please...

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
If we decide not to go down the triple bunk route, we can spend a little less on the caravan which is always helpful, and go for a 5 berth with 2 dinettes.

Having looked on carvanfinder, the 3 below are the age/spec/weight that appeals, what are your opinions, not only on the van but also value for money? They all about £8000
Bailey Ranger 500/5 2006
Lunar Zenith 5 2007
Avondale Dart 2007
(my instict is telling me the Lunar but my Dad has an 2002 avondale and raves about it and my only concern on the Bailey is the quality??)

Cheers all and look forward to your comments/suggestions.

R

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi twindaddy.
We didnt have the Lunar Zenith 5,but the "EB" version (fixed bed 2007)
Very impressed with the handling of the van as it was quite lightweight.
Plenty of storage both above and below.
Everything seemed to be put together properly as it should be.
The only negative i could make if i was being really picky,was I found the front gas locker seemed to be a little small and the opening was quite low.
Adrian/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/medium_new%20215.jpg

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Twindaddy
Avondales were good caravans in their day but sadly the Avondale brand is no more because they ceased manufacturing caravans in September 2008.
This could mean that some parts might be in short supply and the residual value of an Avondale is less than the other makes because of this.
Look for documentary evidence of regular servicing including damp test reports when buying your caravan.

Edit: I meant to add, have a look at the Used Caravan Price Guide to form some idea of what you might be expected to pay, it's not strictly accurate but it provides a clue

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks..

Yes, with Dad having avondale we were aware and the risk of finding parts etc. In general, are Lunar a good quality brand? I am no aware of the 'prestigeness' of the caravan brands yet!

R

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
hi twindaddy
we have a bailey 540/6 with triple bunk and kids love it and is a practical for a young family.As for the build had a couple of minor issue`s but were put right under warranty so all in all very pleased with it.it`s our first van so cant comment on other makes.happy vanning

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Don't be misled by 'brand quality' or the supposed prestige of any brand R, caravans are best judged on an individual basis especially when buying a used model.

All caravans do basically the same sort of thing whether you have spent over 20 grand on a brand new twin axle mobile gin palace or a couple of hundred quid on a first time starter caravan to see if you like caravanning.

Used caravans need to be judged solely on their condition at the point of sale, look carefully for signs of damp, neglect or misuse when deciding whether to buy or not.
It can help if you prepare and print off a check-list before inspecting a caravan prior to purchase.

Have a walk around the outside and look for panel irregularities, scratches and dinks and look carefully at the end panels for signs of cracking. Inspect the mastic between the ends and the sides of the caravan, is it cracked and dried out? Look for signs of bodywork repairs such as different shading of panels.Check inside road lamp fittings for signs of water ingress or algae, check grab handles, tyres and the hitch mechanism and spring damper.
Ask to see evidence of regular servicing complete with damp reports which are done as a part of servicing.Ask how long the tyres have been fitted to the caravan, they may need to be replaced after 5 years regardless of how much tread is left on because of side-wall deterioration.

When you enter the caravan you should feel a solid floor with no sponginess which is symptomatic of floor delamination.
Look inside wardrobes, lockers and bed boxes with a torch and press on panelling to feel for soft spots or bubbling. The front, rear and awning side joints are susceptible to water ingress, look for water marks or discolouration on the interior walls. Look behind curtains and gently ease down window surround rubbers to spot tell tale signs of black mould around the windows and on curtain linings. Is there a musty smell? the use of stick on air fresheners can also be a dead give away, they may be disguising a damp smell.

If everything is ok ensure that all appliances work, check to see exactly what equipment will be supplied as part of the deal (awning, step, water & waste containers, leisure battery and ehu lead) and get it in writing to prevent disputes later.

Ensure that the vendor has the right to sell the caravan and that he lives at the address given if the sale is private.

Do this for every caravan that you decide to go and see irrespective of brand or manufacturer, what you should come away with is a nice, dry, well maintained and well looked after caravan that you and your family will really enjoy using for a long time.
Good luck and let us know how it goes

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Avondale Dart 2007 Brill caravan
smiley-laughing.gif
would be my choice

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you had a look at any yet? Are they from dealers or private sales and what extras can you get thrown in.
If they are from dealers do any come with a warrenty, also if you have no trade in, never pay the sticker price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts