Ouch!! .................I need a loan!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So after having years of the Grandson (daughters son) coming away with us in the van, its time for him to go his own way.
He will be leaving school this July and moving on to college, so growing up and not wanting the caravan hols any more.
Good luck to him, we had a ball with him over the years.

So now on to my moan, it's now time to take the two grandaughters (sons daughters) away for a weekend, Aged 8 and 10, we decided on a local all singing and all dancing site, they actually go swimming there on a regular basis so they are familiar with it it, did also manage a FSP,
cost per night...................

£49.50 !!!!!!

Doesn't finish there...............electric is metered!!!

Swimming extra...........

Oh and I dont want to think about the ice creams etc etc etc

BUT ........... Love them to bits and every penny spent will be magic memories created.

Happy vanning folks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev where our two granddaughters are concerned sod the cash. But what they really like is actually very simple.

Sleeping in the Wyoming is a big adventure.
Using the toilet pressing the flush button is intriguing.
They love the beach , sand castles and paddling on the shore line.
Not tried your place but at that cost🤬🤬🤬
At the end of the day if the four of you enjoyed it what the hell,on the cost👍👍👍

Reactions: Gagakev
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
UK sites really are taking the wotsit these days aren't they!

I am currently sat on a site in Northern Spain.
Huge pitch, plenty of room for 8m caravan, awning, car and still loads of free space for chairs etc.
Fabulous views to the Picos De Europa
10 amp unmetered electric.
Water tap on every pitch
Bar, with very reasonable prices
Restaurant where the meal of the day which includes a starter, a main, a sweet, a pint of beer or a bottle of water is €17 (very tasty and decent portion sizes)
On site shop open 8 til 8
Two pools one indoor, heated, one outdoor unheated
Immaculate shower block with lashings of hot water (proper taps not push buttons)
15 minutes walk from a stupendously huge sandy beach
And so the list goes on, and the price for this site is????

€23 per night, so less than half of the cost of the site referred to by the OP

AND if you stay for 7 nights you only pay for 6.

Rip Off Britain at its finest, and people ask why I, and many others, go abroad !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So after having years of the Grandson (daughters son) coming away with us in the van, its time for him to go his own way.
He will be leaving school this July and moving on to college, so growing up and not wanting the caravan hols any more.
Good luck to him, we had a ball with him over the years.

So now on to my moan, it's now time to take the two grandaughters (sons daughters) away for a weekend, Aged 8 and 10, we decided on a local all singing and all dancing site, they actually go swimming there on a regular basis so they are familiar with it it, did also manage a FSP,
cost per night...................

£49.50 !!!!!!

Doesn't finish there...............electric is metered!!!

Swimming extra...........

Oh and I dont want to think about the ice creams etc etc etc

BUT ........... Love them to bits and every penny spent will be magic memories created.

Happy vanning folks.
Simple answer become a multi millionaire, then these costs won't bother you. (ps. love is priceless)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Huge pitch, plenty of room for 8m caravan, awning, car and still loads of free space for chairs etc.
Water tap on every pitch
Restaurant where the meal of the day which includes a starter, a main, a sweet, a pint of beer or a bottle of water is €17 (very tasty and decent portion sizes)
Immaculate shower block with lashings of hot water (proper taps not push buttons)

Rip Off Britain at its finest, and people ask why I, and many others, go abroad !
Although no longer caravanning we are booked for two weeks at a five star site on the Dordogne river near to Sarlat. The cost of a three double bedroom chalet with air con, elevated deck etc is approximately half the price of per week compared to what we would pay fir an equivalent here. The en route stop over at a nice hotel is only £54 inc breakfast for us both. Admittedly the Portsmouth Caen ferry at £400 isn’t cheap but that’s our choice for route preference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have always wondered what the French go without that we enjoy, the sites we use sound similar to Mr Plodd in Spain,full service with bars swimming pools etc,but it's not just the campsites,parking in towns is often free, bus and train fares are cheaper, healthcare is more accessible, hardly a pot hole to be seen,it is only our age that prevents us selling up and moving there.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Although no longer caravanning we are booked for two weeks at a five star site on the Dordogne river near to Sarlat. The cost of a three double bedroom chalet with air con, elevated deck etc is approximately half the price of per week compared to what we would pay fir an equivalent here. The en route stop over at a nice hotel is only £54 inc breakfast for us both. Admittedly the Portsmouth Caen ferry at £400 isn’t cheap but that’s our choice for route preference.

In a similar vein we have a 'cabine" booked for the first week in September on a Flowers camping site at Samaur. It's €199 for 7 nights.
If you compare that to the OP's UK site, the £49.50 per night comes in at £346.50 So bearing in mind the current exchange rate is around €1.17 to the £1 that makes it about £170 for the week, or £24 a night, which is camping pitch territory

Last edited:
Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
My Niece has booked 14 nights in her caravan at a caravan park in Cornwall in August costing £1200 which is over £85 per night for two adults and three young children.
I've just booked 24 nights at a beautiful caravan park with a huge fully serviced pitch in Normandy for 535€/£460 (22.30€/£19.16 per night) after applying ACSI discount for two adults. My return ferry crossing has cost £700 so it's still cheaper than two weeks in the UK.
I read somewhere too that bed & breakfast can be found cheaper than a camping pitch in some places. Whether you'd want to stay there is another matter though.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
How the other half live :D

Booked on an off grid 5 night rally at Cheshire County Show at the end of June
......£6.50/night immediately followed by a nearby similar rally at a country house garden festival for £11.50/night.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
My Niece has booked 14 nights in her caravan at a caravan park in Cornwall in August costing £1200 which is over £85 per night for two adults and three young children.
I've just booked 24 nights at a beautiful caravan park with a huge fully serviced pitch in Normandy for 535€/£460 (22.30€/£19.16 per night) after applying ACSI discount for two adults. My return ferry crossing has cost £700 so it's still cheaper than two weeks in the UK.
I read somewhere too that bed & breakfast can be found cheaper than a camping pitch in some places. Whether you'd want to stay there is another matter though.
That sounds great......can you tell us which site in Normandy you have booked please.

Thanks.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site

£85 a night?

Thats bordering on criminal extortion! And of course on top of that is their food (and ice cream etc) bill.

I haven't spent half of that (£1200) in total campsite fees for the last month in Spain, but of course this isn't school holiday time.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
That sounds great......can you tell us which site in Normandy you have booked please.

Thanks.
Here you go:

It's at Ravenoville and lies right behind Utah Beach where US forces landed on D-Day.
Remember though, the price I paid includes ACSI Camping Card discount.
£85 a night?

Thats bordering on criminal extortion! And of course on top of that is their food (and ice cream etc) bill.

I haven't spent half of that (£1200) in total campsite fees for the last month in Spain, but of course this isn't school holiday time.
I quite agree, I think it's shocking and personally wouldn't have paid it. But, they want a place with loads of things for their kids to do.
I only paid 1200€ for a private villa with a pool in Andalucia, Spain for two weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
£85 a night?

Hang on a minute. Agreed I wouldn‘t pay that but with three children maybe mum and dad need some childcare, kids entertainment, bar restaurant etc. Touring caravanners are not all as old as me and I realise their requirements are different. Would I pay £85 a night? Depending what was on offer , perhaps. But as a general guide for me and Lady Villa no. Hence why we seek out great CLs that most would pass by.
In BBs immortal words , each to his own😜

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Here you go:

It's at Ravenoville and lies right behind Utah Beach where US forces landed on D-Day.
Remember though, the price I paid includes ACSI Camping Card discount.

I quite agree, I think it's shocking and personally wouldn't have paid it. But, they want a place with loads of things for their kids to do.
I only paid 1200€ for a private villa with a pool in Andalucia, Spain for two weeks.
Thanks very much for the information.

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site

Water tap on every pitch

share the link please?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So having returned from our (exhausting) weekend away I have learned a few things about how the world go's around.
Arrive on site:
Pay for electric.......................use app to pay by card, dont do apps wife tells them, reluctantly they accept cash and set up payment for her.
Cafe..........................................................card only
Bar ...........................................................card only
restaurant (part of bar).....................card only
Ice cream kiosk ....................................card only
Best one, Amusement arcade.........Card only!!!
so after saving all my loose change for a couple of weeks for the girls to spend in the amusements you had to pay by card to get a card with credits on them!!!
But you know what ,the memories, affection, family time,
enjoyment, there appreciation, and the love and cuddles,
NO CARD REQUIRED............................... ALL FREE.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
.....soon be pay by phone only ;)
Oh no it gets worst, I have no banking apps on my phone, the kids even brought me a watch to link up and pay with, The watch goes on my wrist and tells me the time!!
Mind you I feel quite pleased with myself, up until Covid hit I never even had my own bank account, I was forced to open one, and I have learnt to use it!!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just returned from our break away this was next to us it called the Glass Lodge wow i probably need a mortgage for this i dread think how much this is

Attachments

• glasshouse1web-659x388.jpg
    glasshouse1web-659x388.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 4

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts