Out and about!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If our caravan interior plumbing sprang a leak during the night the on board pump would wake us up.
It sounds like a machine gun being fired in the distance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We fill the onboard tank and then turn down the tap so the water only trickles into the caravan onboard tank instead of there being a high pressure on the hose 100% of the time.
Caravan water fittings and appliances are generally designed for a maximum pressure of about 1.5Bar. if you exceed this you are in danger of blowing seals and damaging appliances.

Mains water pressure can easily reach 6Bar, and sometimes more with surge loads.

Reducing the flow by only partially opening the tap will not stop the full mains pressure being fed to the system when no water is being used. You must not connect a direct hose to the caravan system unless you have a proprietary pressure reducer on the hose - usually at the caravan end.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Those with an onboard pump are highly unlikely to have a flood if the aquaroll mains float valve fails. A direct mains connection imo is more problematic and not for me. The benefit is no aquaroll but I remain very sceptical about trusting a mains pressured water system .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Those with an onboard pump are highly unlikely to have a flood if the aquaroll mains float valve fails. A direct mains connection imo is more problematic and not for me. The benefit is no aquaroll but I remain very sceptical about trusting a mains pressured water system .
As I posted earlier, the submersible pump creates more pressure than a pressure regulated mains connection - if you're sceptical about a mains connection, you also need to be sceptical about any electric pump.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As I posted earlier, the submersible pump creates more pressure than a pressure regulated mains connection - if you're sceptical about a mains connection, you also need to be sceptical about any electric pump.
My pump isn't submersible, and neither I suspect is Dustydog's on his Bailey.
Mine can be quite noisy if you're not used to it, a running pump caused by a night time internal plumbing failure would certainly wake us up.
The onboard pump delivers nowhere near mains water pressure.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Flojet is 30psi or 2 bar at 5.3 litres per minute, and mega decibels combined with noticeable structural vibration levels. You would certainly know when it was running awry.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My pump isn't submersible, and neither I suspect is Dustydog's on his Bailey.
Mine can be quite noisy if you're not used to it, a running pump caused by a night time internal plumbing failure would certainly wake us up.
The onboard pump delivers nowhere near mains water pressure.
My point is that a pressure-regulated mains connection reduces the pressure below that of any type of electric pump.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Swift fit the internal water pump to what amounts to a sounding board.
I quietened mine down a lot by fitting it on ruber mountings....same principle as car engine mounts !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Swift fit the internal water pump to what amounts to a sounding board.
I quietened mine down a lot by fitting it on ruber mountings....same principle as car engine mounts !
When I fitted a new Flojet last summer I mounted it on some small rubber doughnuts which reduced the vibration.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Same as Parksy. My pump is a distance from the water entry point. A number of small speed fits and six on the two three way taps before the pump. So if a pipe failed the pump doesn’t turn on! No warning!
Correction. Just re read my Whalemaster instructions. It does have a built in pressure reducer set at a nominal 1.5 bar , max 1.8 bar.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
+1 for the doughnuts. I had the Flojet on my last caravan. Not too noticeable during the day, but if anyone went to the loo at night, then turned a tap on, it was incredibly loud.I mounted mine on a seperate board, with doughnuts to mount the board then doughnuts to mount pump to board. It made a difference, but the pump was still noisy and I suspect the noise is from the pump housing as much as vibration through the mountings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts